White Lady or White Witch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great!!

Only thing I can think of is some rust-proofing might be a solid investment, if they use salt up your way. Cheers!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I see a lot of debate on fuel, manual says 87 will work but 89 is recommended. I have been using 89. What would the benefit be of 91?
My understanding of 89 octane is that it is a blend of regular and premium at the pump, and not something that the refinery actually makes.

So, for the extra few cents at the pump I would rather fill my baby with an engineered 91 premium fuel as opposed to a blended mix at the pump.

My personal experience in my truck is that running 91 helps my engine to run more efficiently and affords me some more km's of driving per tank full. The difference in a tank full (I have the 32 gallon tank) of premium vs a tank full or regular is less than $30. That's peace of mind I can work with.

I get there is huge debate on this, and many here smarter than I could provide more substantial reasoning as to the overall benefits of 91 vs 87 in our HEMI's, and likewise challenge it, too.

All I know from my experience is that my engine is happier, and my knock sensors don't have to work overtime to better prevent pre-ignition and knocking which is something that can be heard and felt using 87, especially in the summer heat with the engine under full load (A/C on) and hauling and/or towing. And also on engines that perhaps may not receive the same type of proactive, preventative and predictive maintenance as others.

This is also why I also choose to use Red Line SI-1 fuel system treatment periodically; why I use MOPAR combustion chamber cleaner; why I clean my throttle body twice a year; why I use a quality oil catch can, and why I use Red Line 5W30 HP oil and a RP 20-820 oil filter.

These are just my personal preferences though, and how I personally approach looking after my truck. I want 500,000Km's or more from my baby!

Last edited:

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
My understanding of 89 octane is that it is a blend of regular and premium at the pump, and not something that the refinery actually makes.

So, for the extra few cents at the pump I would rather fill my baby with an engineered 91 premium fuel as opposed to a blended mix at the pump.

My personal experience in my truck is that running 91 helps my engine to run more efficiently and affords me some more km's of driving per tank full. The difference in a tank full (I have the 32 gallon tank) of premium vs a tank full or regular is less than $30. That's peace of mind I can work with.

I get there is huge debate on this, and many here smarter than I could provide more substantial reasoning as to the overall benefits of 91 vs 87 in our HEMI's, and likewise challenge it, too.

All I know from my experience is that my engine is happier, and my knock sensors don't have to work overtime to better prevent pre-ignition and knocking which is something that can be heard and felt using 87, especially in the summer heat with the engine under full load (A/C on) and hauling and/or towing. And also on engines that perhaps may not receive the same type of proactive, preventative and predictive maintenance as others.

This is also why I also choose to use Red Line SI-1 fuel system treatment periodically; why I use MOPAR combustion chamber cleaner; why I clean my throttle body twice a year; why I use a quality oil catch, and why I use Red Line 5W30 HP oil and a RP 20-820 oil filter.

These are just my personal preferences though, and how I personally approach looking after my truck. I want 500,000Km's or more from my baby!
My friend always uses 87 in his 2016 with no issues ever, so I feel comfortable with the 89. I also have the 32 gallon tank, I usually get + - 200 miles out of a half of tank, and 13-15 mpg. This is winter blend fuel and cold driving as well. This summer I shall see if it gets better as I picked the truck up in November.

OP
OP
MoToad

MoToad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You say plain, what do you plan on changing/adding?
The usual. Nerf bars to aid in stepping in, Tonneau, fender flares. Not much really. I am surprised that the lights are all Halogen. May gradually change them out for LEDs.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We're up here in Canada, eh. The oil life meter on my truck is 10,000 KMs. :cool:

Are the US trucks actually at 10,000 miles?
Yes.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 87707 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing that has always annoyed me about the recommended OCIs, is in the US, AFAIK, most were 5000 miles whereas the same vehicle, made in the same plant but destined for the Canadian market, the recommended OCI conveniently becomes 5000 KM or 3100 miles.

All of the oil change shops here always preach 5000 km too. What kind of sci-fi logic is that? Let's use the kiss principle because people are too stupid to know the difference.

Now we have Ram trucks, again, built in the same factory and some brainiac decided that 10,000 KM & 10,000 miles are close enough. :rolleyes: Realistically, both OCI are beyond stupidity but, what does this say about the manufacturer? Are they confused or just think their customers are brain-dead? :)

I didn't learn the metric system until I was 11 years old, and I haven't yet forgotten the two systems and the relationship/conversion between them.

Whenever I next drag myself off the couch, I'm going to switch my truck to the imperial measurement system and see if my oil life meter magically gains about 6100 km.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Congrats on picking up your new ride, MoToad. :cool:

After you switch to imperial, let us know what happens.

The reason why there are differences is because there are two separate operating companies, one for US, and another for Canada:

"With respect to any Vehicles Sold in Canada, the name FCA US LLC shall be deemed to be deleted and the name FCA Canada Inc. used in substitution therefore."

Trucks marketed in Canada can have different specifications and maintenance requirements regardless of the plant they are manufactured in based on desires of the Canadian entity. For the purpose of marketing and service they are separate divisions, which is why the warranty for a vehicle made for the Canadian market will not be valid in the US, and vice-versa.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 87707 miles.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I hope to investigate the results of switching to Imperial today, I got too busy with chores yesterday. :cool:

The reason why there are differences is because there are two separate operating companies, one for US, and another for Canada:

"With respect to any Vehicles Sold in Canada, the name FCA US LLC shall be deemed to be deleted and the name FCA Canada Inc. used in substitution therefore."

Trucks marketed in Canada can have different specifications and maintenance requirements regardless of the plant they are manufactured in based on desires of the Canadian entity.

AFAIK, this is standard for all companies that operate on both sides of the border. I don't see why that should impact me as a customer. I'd like to see a link to FCA Canada or FCA US that draws this warranty line.

For the purpose of marketing and service they are separate divisions, which is why the warranty for a vehicle made for the Canadian market will not be valid in the US, and vice-versa.

Again, I'm not disputing this information but let's see some hard proof.

I've read endless stories that both support and contradict this information for Toyota & FCA.

I found these two posts on a Wrangler site.

"My 2014 JKU Willys is originally from Canada, bought from a dealership in Michigan with manufacturer warranties still valid. At the time of purchase it threw an o2 sensor fault and was taken to a Jeep dealership down the road from the dealer I purchased it from after their mechanics were unable to reproduce the fault. At the Jeep dealership, they tested everything and had to replace the exhaust manifold, all work was done under the manufacturer's warranty. Haven’t had any issues since."

"When my daughter first when off to college in Canada, she took one of our US registered jeeps with her. No issues at the Canadian dealership BUT it was still plated and registered in Washington.
"

From my own experience with Toyota, I had warranty coverage in both US & Canada, it was fantastic.

My Tundra was a US truck that I bought from a Canadian dealership (Tony Graham Toyota of Ottawa), it had about 8000 miles (IIRC) and still had a full manufacturer's warranty. I didn't buy any additional warranty other than a rust protection package.

I exercised warranty claims many times in Canada and once in the US, and never had any grief.
Toyota was excellent for items like chasing down that annoying click or bump noise and never charged me a cent.

The US dealer I used was TJ Toyota in Potsdam, NY. They were also fantastic and very helpful.

In all fairness, I don't know if this should matter but the US warranty claim was for a recall. The paperwork still listed the work as a warranty item and referenced the original in-service date.

I should have mentioned, I had originally scheduled the recall work to happen in Canada but Toyota Canada dropped the ball and couldn't provide all of the necessary components whereas TJ Toyota had them in stock. Off I went to Potsdam, NY.

When I was arranging the work in NY, the dealership gave me the impression that my warranty would be valid in both countries.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I finally found time to switch over to Imperial and the results were fascinating.

First, the before picture with the system set Metric.

Oil life Metric.jpg

So, if I understand this information correctly, the oil use has been 5507 KM since the last reset. What is this 66%?

5507/10,000=05507 or 55.07% used or 44.93% remaining. Does anyone have a wild a$$ed guess at what the 66% relates to? :cool:

BTW, I think the recommended OCI of 10,000 KM is insane, I'm ready for an oil change as soon as I can find the time.

So, here's where things get a bit more interesting, after switching to Imperial.

Oil life Imp.jpg

So, no surprise that 66% remains, whatever that means.

Wait, it appears to be 66% remaining, and funny enough that 3414/10,000=34.14% or..... 66% remaining.

That's one mystery solved, that both the Metric & Imperial show the same 66% remaining but that it is based on the Imperial scale and a 10,000-mile OCI which has no correlation to 10,000 KM. LOL

Next;

3414 miles*1.6=5462 KM

If you look at the first picture (Metric) it indicates 5507 KM since reset. It would appear that FCA has its own conversion method that doesn't follow what I learned, or any online conversion tools either.

Let's amplify the anomaly further;

12,617 miles*1.6=20,187 KM

Back to the first picture with 20,306 Km on the odometer. Again, another unusual conversion between the two measurement systems.

Now I'm curious to learn how the two different measurement systems relate to the actual distance traveled and or warranty mileage.

*In all honesty, I have yet to calibrate for my tire size, which is different from the OEM but how could that impact the conversion between Imperial & Metric?

My math savant buddy is MIA at the moment, does anyone have a theory?

While I'm flogging FCA for their creative conversion methodology, how about the temperature displays? LOL

The Metric 13C does not convert to 54F unless it has a relationship with the tire size differential. :cool:

13*9/5+32=55.4

A dude I worked with decades ago had this expression that comes to mind.

There are two ways to work, there's precise and there's sloppy with not much in between. :cool:

Last edited:

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning all.
New truck, new forum. Tomorrow, if all goes well, I am picking up my new 2022 white Ram 1500 Classic Hemi with 20kms on the odo. I can only hope this will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. I am trading in my 09 Tundra TRD which came hidden with all the problems that I read about after the fact and which the dealer failed to disclose. Need less to say I fix the aforementioned and am trading in a pretty healthy truck. The straw that broke the camel's back was two fold. A recent trip to Arizona and back, towing a trailer, had me getting in US terms, about 8 miles per gallon. I know the new Ram will do better, even if not by much. But the real decider was and has been from purchase, the exhaust drone. Bad enough on it's own, a horrendous ear damaging affair when towing. There are fixes but enough was enough.
I was originally looking for a slightly used vehicle but the salesman talked me into a test drive and I was smitten. Sitting down and Googling the good and the bad I soon discovered the problems with the Ram and can only hope she doesn't go from lady to witch. Then there's the guy I clicked on with a 2022 Classic with nothing but trouble. GAAAA!
Well all brands have problems. Now a bought a 2019 and a2020 with zero problems. This is probably the exception not the rule. Go with your gut. If it feels right then hopefully it will be