Who has installed LEDS in projectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco
That is not correct. Some Leds wont perform well in projectors, some work just fine like any HID or halogen. Maybe not that bright but with a good hotspot and wide output.
I'm with you on this. My wife's Honda projectors work well with Nova V4s.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

turboguard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a pic with katana led's in my alpharex projectors

bbe80236def9267f20a3f648a5c10b17.png

Only pic I currently have. Swapped in some 55w hid's to see if they were any better and I think they are about the same

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

My Alpharex G2's and Hikari Ultras should be in this weekend...that light output and cutoff line looks bonkers! I can't wait!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just let the plate off. Come to find out that the LED’s didn’t help much with the projector lens. I am curious what others have done to solve this problem...

You may want to try a different brand. A few of us have had good results with other brands that have been mentioned. As was said by another member, maybe not every LED will perform good in the projector but there are many now that will. I used this forum as well as bulbfacts.com (recommended by a forum member here as well) to research what LED bulbs were working well for people with our trucks or projector style headlights, and ended up with hikari ultras that I've been impressed with.

WILE E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I made the mistake of putting LEDs in my projectors, and they sucked! I moved the LEDs to my high beams and put HIDs in the projectors, and they were probably twice as bright as the LEDs were in the projectors.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I made the mistake of putting LEDs in my projectors, and they sucked! I moved the LEDs to my high beams and put HIDs in the projectors, and they were probably twice as bright as the LEDs were in the projectors.

Did you have them orientated correctly? The led's should be facing at the 3 and 9 o'clock position.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

MICHAEL ZIMMER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I installed Diode Dynamics 9005 SL1 LED bulbs in my 2016 Ram with projectors. They worked great and are really bright with a perfect cutoff line. They have been in for 1 and a half years without a problem. Snow and ice did not seem to affect them at all, never had ice build up as some people claim. They are a pain to install since you have to remove the entire grille of the truck to get at the lights. Now the headlights match the fog lights (drapes match the carpet)

DieselMike29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I was simply talking LED projector vs regular headlights. I definitely believe HIDs are much brighter, I just had too many problems with hids in the past to want to go back to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HID's take too long to "warm up" to be useful under normal driving conditions. LED's are instant on. Under similar conditions, LED's last longer.

While it may sound a bit stupid, as they say, "Every litter bit helps" (Or is that suppose to be every "little" bit helps?) Anyway, using AlfaOBD, you can tell your truck that it has LED lights - why is this significant? Because then the LED's don't need any antiflicker and other such extra electronics. And while it may not affect your fuel (if you have an EcoDiesel, you don't have a "gas millage, you have a FUEL millage.) millage, it DOES permit the alternator and electrical system to operate with a lower load -- having to draw the full current of the normal/standard lights just to trick the CAM system into thinking none of the lights are out wastes power and puts excess wear and tear on the electrical system.

RAM needs to grow up and come into the electronic age and put HID headlights on ALL of their vehicles and not have just a select few with halogen projector lights. For those of you that would say, it would cost too much, might I suggest that our $50K and up trucks are just as "luxury" as my wife's $50K Lexus?

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is not correct. Some Leds wont perform well in projectors, some work just fine like any HID or halogen. Maybe not that bright but with a good hotspot and wide output.

Well the width of the output comes from the projector itself not the bulb. That being said, although there are leds out there that perform better than others and might pass as acceptable, there still has yet to be a single led that surpasses hid performance. Not even oem LEDs. The closet LEDs out there typically are coming out of bmw Acura or Audi with laser assist, And even then LEDs are only utilized for their long life span, low power draw, and low heat not because they’re brighter. LEDs in halogen or hid projectors causes light distortion, scatter, and glare because they’re designed to utilize the filament position and although there are thin led bulbs out there none can be thin enough to mimic the way filament. Led technology is way better and climbing they still are not even remotely close to performing at par with hid. And this is coming from someone who has led projectors (not led bulbs in halogen projectors).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go watch the vids on youtube of headlight revolution...They compare tons of bulbs n brands on common headlights..

Neon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have projection headlights on my RAM and went with HID low beams and LED high beams. (*LED fogs as well)
Before I started, I order some new dusk cover/backing plates for my head lights. They simply screw on and give you more area for lights and wires.
It was a perfect fit and made the job A LOT easier.

dodge-ram-projector-style-headlight-dust-covers-33402c

Everything worked out really well and the install went fairly smooth.
Really happy with the new look and the great light pattern.
I can see clearly now.....

image1-2.jpeg

Rt71668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased LED bulbs from retrofit source and found that the factory headlight assembly has a plate in place of dust caps for each bulb, my question is what have you guys done to make the LEDS fit behind the plate?
I just installed the Hikari 9006’s no issues and cover fit back on fine.
I purchased LED bulbs from retrofit source and found that the factory headlight assembly has a plate in place of dust caps for each bulb, my question is what have you guys done to make the LEDS fit behind the plate?

SPEEDSTER00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the HID upgrade in my ram from retroshop. the amount of light they output is significantly better than LED or factory incandescent. I have had a few issues with ballast so I keep LED bulbs on hand in the event I have to order parts for HID, and there is a huge difference in visible light. HID's are far better than LED IMO for visible light coverage.

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To answer the actual original question,

“what does one do with the oem projector headlight bulb dust cover to clear or fit over LED replacement bulbs?”

- as a couple members stated, you can:
A) buy a set of deeper replacement dust covers
(the only vendor offering replacement covers that I am aware of is referenced in a previous post in this thread, and those come pre drilled with rubber grommets, ready for HID bulb kit installation, but they may offer the deeper covers not drilled - I don’t know for sure), or,

B) you can use a heat gun to “massage” your existing dust covers to fit over the bulb base, or

C) you can replace your bulbs with bulbs that will fit under the factory dust covers

D) you can run without dust covers - not recommended in my humble opinion, but you could......

I know the Katanas/Supernovas and Max5 LEDs fit under the dust covers because I have them in my oem projector headlights, and there are a handful of other LED bulbs that forum members have confirmed fit as well - there are several threads in this forum you can search through and read at your leisure

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 on the Katana LEDs. They are available in Amazon and easily returnable if you aren’t satisfied with them. I have quads in my Ram but have used the Katanas in my daughters Hyundai projectors with great success as they are only 32mm deep unlike many other longer models. My wife has OEM HID projectors in her SUV and there is no question they are superior but the the Katana LEDs in the poor Hyundai halogen projectors is an enormous upgrade without a large cost or much work. Your mileage may vary.

LI Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I put in V4 supernova and didn't need to modify my headlight assembly.