Who is running TufTruck TTC-1223V rear spring (1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These https://tuftruck.com/products/ttc-1223v/

So I have bags (airlift) in my truck right now and I just replaced one due to a split in the bag.

While doing so I noticed there was no paint left on the inside of my springs and most likely this is also the cause of the squeak in the rear suspension I have been chasing.

I do not tow often or heavy, most of the time its just around town or towing (2) quads on a trailer).

Here is my question.

Anyone running these springs, do they noticeable reduce the amount of squat loaded and still retain the factor height and ride when un-loaded?

My goal is less components that can fail and to reduce the squat when towing.

Thanks

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ran them on my 2014 1500 4x4 express hemi. improved cornering, barely stiffer than stock, same stock ride height, reduced sag with load in bed and when towing. if I had another 1500, I'd get them again over air bags. take that with a grain of salt, I do all my towing now with my 2500. it has factory air in the rear.

sequoia464

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tuftruck recommends their 1211 springs for towing. The ride height is the same as stock. I haven't used the 1223V springs, but I'm very happy with how the 1211's have worked out.

Call them (Tuftruck) - they are very helpful.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
1223V is variable rate spring. top of spring is same rate of compression as OEm so sag remains constant. so too does ride characteristics. as weight is added to springs, they stiffen up and sag is reduced.

thats how they keep the OEM ride by having spring behave same as OEM with no weight to slight weight. At what point they stiffen you would need to call tufftruck.

i run 1211 and love them, my wife prefer the ride over OEm and she is rather picky.

I suggest you call tufftruck, give them your particulars and wants then go with what they suggest. i did and could not be happier.

PS

I have yet to hear any one on any forum, talk bad about their tufftruck springs or regret buying them.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I never tried the 1211 but with the 1223v I was towing a trailer with a tongue weight of about 700 lbs and the truck was about level, not on the bump stops. I'm guessing 1223v is meant for occasional towing?

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
First I tried the TLC air bag system and after two years of problems I took them off and went to the 1223v. I found no difference in keeping the truck level with the TT (with wdh) and the stock coils. Squat was the same and no difference in handling. After 5 years and 1K I gave up and bought a 2500. If your not towing much they might make some difference.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I never tried the 1211 but with the 1223v I was towing a trailer with a tongue weight of about 700 lbs and the truck was about level, not on the bump stops. I'm guessing 1223v is meant for occasional towing?

Actually, no difference between the two, 1223V amnd 1211, as regards towing. the dfifference is in the ride AQND the fact the 1223V will have greater intial squat due to its variable rate of compression vbersus the 1211 constant rate of compression.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
First I tried the TLC air bag system and after two years of problems I took them off and went to the 1223v. I found no difference in keeping the truck level with the TT (with wdh) and the stock coils. Squat was the same and no difference in handling. After 5 years and 1K I gave up and bought a 2500. If your not towing much they might make some difference.

Got to disagree with you.
I have been driving 3/4 trucks, as daily drivers, for decades. been towing all kinds of travel trailers, other types of trailers and my trusty 20ft Lund during all that time.
(Psst, at work, I tow up to 20,000 Tons behind my Big Diesel)

SO, Feel I now a thing or two about towing crap.

1211 do superb on the 1.2 ton truck.

No, you will not 3.4 towing ability out of a 1/2 ton truck with 1211.
no matter how terrific the 1211 springs are, the rest of the truck is 1.2 ton toy truck, not 3.4 BEAST we all want it to be.
Upgrading Tires, shocks, springs, will definitely help the 150 series tow up to its stated pottentials with a drastric lessening of Holy Crap Moments but it will NOT be a 2500 series truck espierience.

then again, with a little towing experience under ones belt, the 1500 can do the job that others would need a 2500 or above to get done.

Like everything, its all about Expectations, Abilities, Capabilities, with a healthy doseo fo COmmon Sense and Experience

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Got to disagree with you.
I have been driving 3/4 trucks, as daily drivers, for decades. been towing all kinds of travel trailers, other types of trailers and my trusty 20ft Lund during all that time.
(Psst, at work, I tow up to 20,000 Tons behind my Big Diesel)

SO, Feel I now a thing or two about towing crap.

1211 do superb on the 1.2 ton truck.

No, you will not 3.4 towing ability out of a 1/2 ton truck with 1211.
no matter how terrific the 1211 springs are, the rest of the truck is 1.2 ton toy truck, not 3.4 BEAST we all want it to be.
Upgrading Tires, shocks, springs, will definitely help the 150 series tow up to its stated pottentials with a drastric lessening of Holy Crap Moments but it will NOT be a 2500 series truck espierience.

then again, with a little towing experience under ones belt, the 1500 can do the job that others would need a 2500 or above to get done.

Like everything, its all about Expectations, Abilities, Capabilities, with a healthy doseo fo COmmon Sense and Experience

I don't know what there is to disagree with. I wrote about my personal experiences with the different ways to try to get my 1500's to handle their tow ratings better. Having worked as a heavy equipment operator most of my life I also have experience in towing large loads.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I don't know what there is to disagree with. I wrote about my personal experiences with the different ways to try to get my 1500's to handle their tow ratings better. Having worked as a heavy equipment operator most of my life I also have experience in towing large loads.

Basicaly, I disagreed with the final line but see how you could come to that conclusion, based on what you stated prior.

Squat was the same and no difference in handling.
I found no difference in keeping the truck level with the TT (with wdh) and the stock coils..

I doubt you would, in this scenario. Replace OEM with 1223V. The V means variable, so under light loads, they are exactly the same as OEM.
WDY would shift the weight onto both axles, ideally, perfectly equally. so, the rear springs would not handle as much weight as they would without the WDH,
so the increased rate of compression given , as weight is added, would never be utilized. Hence, same as OEM, no difference noted.

If your not towing much they might make some difference.

IF not towing much, they would not make any difference than OEM.
All those two rear springs do is to handle the weight placed upon them.
1223V is OEM, at teh top of the spring.
Not towing much means not much pin weight n those springs so they would be exactly same as OEM
Now, max they can handle is 50% more than OEM but their advantage is never going to noticed until the
weight placed upon thek is more than OEM is designed to handle.

Squat, and all other aspects will be same as OEM until weight starts getting beyond OEM capabilities.

Essentially what most miss is that no matter how strong the springs.
Even 200% beyond OEM springs, whatever, the rest of the truck is still OEM.
Rear SPrings will only do so much and are small part of overall experience.

What they will do is reduce sag,, but not when goign with the 1223V until more than 500lbs or more is placed on them.
up to that point, they behave the same OEM. 5000lb trailer, 500lb tongue, they will handle it same as OEM, but will be able to take more weight on top of that amount and
thats when they differences is going to be noticed. Still Front springs, tires, etc will not be affected.

reason I usually try to get those interested into calling and talking with the tufftruck folks, they will do their level best to get teh right springs to you.

but, no springs are ever going to perform as well as a new 2500 truck will.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, no difference between the two, 1223V amnd 1211, as regards towing. the dfifference is in the ride AQND the fact the 1223V will have greater intial squat due to its variable rate of compression vbersus the 1211 constant rate of compression.

Not quite, the 1223V is only good for a 35% more capacity.
The 1211's are good for a 50% more capacity.

Also, 1223V are NOT rec. for towing per Tufftruck if I remember correctly.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my TTC 1223V they said they were not recommended for constant load. Since I don't tow my travel trailer constantly they seemed like a good fit. I also like the fact they didn't raise the ass end at all, in fact I lost about a 1/2" in height. My trailer is about 5500 pounds and they work well for that weight but if I was going to tow more weight and often I would definitely go with the 1211's.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 1211's put the ass end up 1/4 - 3/8 " max when new. If i can find my old measurements to compare I bet its at stock height or same as when 1211 installed. They also ride great.

I ultimately decided against 1223V as I had stuff constantly in my ram boxes so more weight negates the advantage of the varriable rate spring. I also didn't want to be lower, which they are and did not want to add pucks of lift blocks.

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thinking I am ditching the bags and going with the 1223V's and a 3/4-1" poly spacer in the spring.

The bags are nice, and help but I worry about another failure.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking I am ditching the bags and going with the 1223V's and a 3/4-1" poly spacer in the spring.

The bags are nice, and help but I worry about another failure.
That is exactly what I did, and it wasn't bad but it wasn't quite enough for towing either. I ended up going with stiffer springs, locally made but equivalent to the TTC-1223. If I was to do it all again, I would opt for the 1211 springs and call it a day.