Who transitioned from a midsize and how do you like it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rumatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I currently have a Chevy Colorado and am tempted by a RAM 1500 for my next truck - likey a Laramie quad cab / 6'4 bed. How many others have made this jump from a midsize, and how has it worked out for you? Win all around? Any regrets?

I like the Colorado a lot, but there are a few things I don't love. The seats are mediocre, the interior is low rent, ride quality isn't great (solid rear axles have their advantages, but ride quality and handling isn't one of them) , and the back seat area is miniscule in the extended cab. I can barely fit a frigging suit case back there.

Thr RAM 1500 seems like an improvement in all of the above. Im just not sure what it'll be like to live with such a big truck. I drive around a lot of tight areas and park in relatively narrow spaces on a semi-regular basis.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went from 2 first gen Frontiers (98 then 01) to my '17 RAM 1500.

I still find myself a little "meh" with parking angles....since I usually back in its kinda like motor skill what I would do with the Frontier, but it doesnt always work with the RAM :)

Other than that I regret not doing it sooner:

The RAM (even with the Hemi) gets the same or better MPG than my Frontiers ever did. One Frontier was a 4 cyl and the other was a 6 cyl. The mpg issue with the Frontiers is the gearing, not so much the engines. Power-wise the Frontier engines are a joke, though, even the 6 cyl.

"Extended cab" on the Frontier was another joke....I could barely fit my tiny kids back there, plus they were jump seats and as such, unsafe for anything other than going to the bus stop.

The ride quality on the RAM is 1000 times better, coil springs vs leafs on the Frontier

I can now actually fit something 4' wide between the wheel wells. I dont do it often, but when I do its because I *have to*. Could kinda sorta do it with the Frontier if I had 2x4s across the bed liner and didnt need to stack more than 3" high or so, but thats just a PITA.

Interior and features are better on the RAM but I cant ding the Frontier since it was so much older.

FWIW I compared the RAM 1500 to the F150 within 15 minutes of each other. The F150 reminded me a lot of my Frontier, just bigger. Squirrelly rear end (leaf springs, and its extra light because of aluminum). Barebones interior (pricing is so high what I could afford with the RAM barely got me carpeted floors in an F150). And truck vs truck the tech stuff in the RAM far outweighed what was in the F150 (again, pricing....equivalent price on an F150 I got a 3" backup camera screen....I literally told the salesman Im better off pretending its not there)

I have a few nagging things (nothing major) with my RAM but overall am still very happy with it. Im sure I would have had nagging things with any other truck I purchased as well, Im just a picky SOB.

Dome11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I traded in my 2016 Extended Cab Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 for a Quad Cab Rebel 6'4" bed. I purchased the Colorado over a full size truck at the time do to my on road travelling for work. However, I still required decent tow capacities and the Colorado met those needs. In 2019 we received company vehicles plus I wanted a larger travel trailer so I stated looking at 1/2 ton trucks. The Chevy dealership wouldn't work with me so I looked at the Ram.

Pros: Interior comfort, storage room behind front seats, extra bed size/width, driving lights/fogs (brighter), 12" screen vs 8" screen. sunroof, towing ability (7K vs 11K).

Cons: Fuel economy (just terrible in the Ram), parking (hard to see over hood), lack of accessories (but improving), navigation system (just easier in the Chevy).

Equal: Appearance (different styles) but both look okay, sound system (Bose vs Alpine) I cant tell the difference, 4-wheel ability (never taken off road) but both work well in the snow.

Bottom Line: Size can be your friend or enemy...

taz2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I came from a Honda Ridgeline. I know some don't consider them to be a real pickup but it did everything I needed it to do. I pulled a 21' pontoon boat (29' on trailer) and carried 1500#+ of marble in the bed with no problem. This was at different times of course. I still really miss the in bed trunk.

When it came time to replace it I started shopping 2019 Ridgelines and decided to give Ram a test drive because of the incredible discounts they were offering. I told my wife I would hate it but as the test drive ended I told her that I didn't hate it. The ride was quieter and smoother than the Ridgeline. The handling of course was no match but I decided I could live with it. Yes, one of my first mods was a Hellwig rear sway bar. In the end I couldn't justify paying several thousand more for a new Ridgeline that had a MSRP of $6000 less than the Ram. I went with a Pentastar and was rewarded with a 2 mpg gain over the Ridgeline with adequate power for anything I will do with it.

You will notice the size increase. Also front corner vision (think curbs) is much worse than my Ridgeline. I went with a short bed crewcab so the interior space is much improved. I wanted a quadcab but it had less kneeroom than my Ridgeline. The ride is better and the interior is much nicer than my first gen Ridgeline. I have a hard tonneau and created a replacement trunk in the rear of the bed using a large net, the lower anchor points, upper anchor points of my bedrail, and three Rubbermaid containers.

I have gotten used to driving my Ram but parking places have shrank even more! The Hellwig did improve the handling somewhat. It completely removed the weird bobble after a quick transition that I had. I will replace the mediocre Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT tires with Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires when it comes time unless I can't stand the Goodyear's any more.

If you're concerned about size, take a test drive or two. Try parking, unused drive thru lines, and some of the tight places you mention and see what you think.

taz2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I came from a Honda Ridgeline. I know some don't consider them to be a real pickup but it did everything I needed it to do. I pulled a 21' pontoon boat (29' on trailer) and carried 1500#+ of marble in the bed with no problem. This was at different times of course. I still really miss the in bed trunk.

When it came time to replace it I started shopping 2019 Ridgelines and decided to give Ram a test drive because of the incredible discounts they were offering. I told my wife I would hate it but as the test drive ended I told her that I didn't hate it. The ride was quieter and smoother than the Ridgeline. The handling of course was no match but I decided I could live with it. Yes, one of my first mods was a Hellwig rear sway bar. In the end I couldn't justify paying several thousand more for a new Ridgeline that had a MSRP of $6000 less than the Ram. I went with a Pentastar and was rewarded with a 2 mpg gain over the Ridgeline with adequate power for anything I will do with it.

You will notice the size increase. Also front corner vision (think curbs) is much worse than my Ridgeline. I went with a short bed crewcab so the interior space is much improved. I wanted a quadcab but it had less kneeroom than my Ridgeline. The ride is better and the interior is much nicer than my first gen Ridgeline. I have a hard tonneau and created a replacement trunk in the rear of the bed using a large net, the lower anchor points, upper anchor points of my bedrail, and three Rubbermaid containers.

I have gotten used to driving my Ram but parking places have shrank even more! The Hellwig did improve the handling somewhat. It completely removed the weird bobble after a quick transition that I had. I will replace the mediocre Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT tires with Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires when it comes time unless I can't stand the Goodyear's any more.

If you're concerned about size, take a test drive or two. Try parking, unused drive thru lines, and some of the tight places you mention and see what you think.

taz2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

taz2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have a clue how this ended up being posted 3 times!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I came from a 4WD Quad Cab Dakota with a 5.9 in it, to a crew cab hemi 1500. Personally I really really liked that truck.
In fact, my perfect truck would be that body (2001 quad cab) with a 5.9 with the 8 speed trans.

I like the smaller overall body with similar interior room, prefer the low end torque of the 5.9 over the high rpm power of the hemi. And well what can I say about the transmission, the 46RE trans just sucks compared to the ZF 8 speed - in every measurement.

I liked the transfer case 4WD switch in the Dakota, I hate the push button 4WD switch in the Ram.

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I came from a 2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Nismo 4x2. It was a great truck, but being 6'4" 200lb it started feeling cramped. Once I got a full size there is no going back. Everything about them is more capable. Big loads that would strain a mid size suspension are blips to a full size.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I still have several Dakota's and a short box and Sierra. The only drawback to the 1500 is size but that is also a blessing. My 1500 2019 is my favorite.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
The biggest thing you will probably notice is the width, full size trucks are good bit wider then midsize. That said like anything else you get used to it as far as driving it. The plus side is you get a much bigger more comfortable cabin.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My experience with a mid-size was several years and half a dozen full size trucks ago. It was just ok and really didn't afford me the room I needed to carry a full accompaniment of tools. Application means everything in trucks that's why there are so many configurations.
Best guess is if you go full size you'll not regret it. Best wishes.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried to get my wife into a mid size.

she came home with a 1500.

it all depends on what you want to do.

emphasis on “YOU”, best of luck

Kootbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Honda Ridgeline and a Ram, depends on what I am doing that day. Driving in town the smaller truck is easier to find a parking spot. Towing a travel trailer on the highway the Ram is much better.

n-humble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I traded a 2016 GMC Canyon for my 2019 RAM Limited. The latter is by far and away nicer all around. I had no trouble backing or parking the Ram thanks to the 360 surround view in the Uconnect camera.

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Dakota before my 1500. My kids and their friends keep getting bigger, and the back seat in the Club Cab Dakota kept getting smaller :) I also couldn't tow my utility trailer very much without taxing the engine.
I have no regrets getting the bigger truck. My gas mileage is better with the bigger truck and bigger engine, I have more room, and I always parked away from everyone anyway, so the parking spaces aren't a huge issue for me most of the time.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before I switched to driving Titans, I always had "compact" trucks - Chevy S10s and GMC S15s, then Nissan Hardbodies and Frontiers, and also a Mazda (not Ford badged) B-series.

*IF* anyone made a not-mediocre midsize truck, I would love to have it. Easier to park, better handling, easier for older people to get in and out of. But when you compare smaller trucks to full size you see there's no comparison in quality and features. The thing I hate most about smaller trucks is the crappy leg, seat and shoulder room. I'm a meaty guy - 5'10" 245 lbs - and I always struggle to find a seat that fits me in the ass and in the chest. My Mazda had great leg and shoulder room, but it was a 2wd and I couldn't drive it here in the winter (mountains). So I always had to have a 4wd alternative. When my Pathfinder finally started giving me trouble, I went back to the Titan. When my Titan started getting long in the tooth I checked out the Frontier and Colorado, but frankly they were both ****** trucks for the money and I wouldn't have traded my Titan for either one. The Tacoma is good quality but like a truck from 1999, not 2019. The Frontier feels like 2005. There weren't any new Rangers to look at when I got my Ram.

You'll get used to the full size. They are boats for sure but the comfort, features, quality and ride quality is way better than any of the mid size trucks, except maybe the Ridgeline which is stupid prices in my opinion.

Last edited: