Who would be up to watch a video series on a ZF 8 Speed swap in a 4.7 RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey everyone.

This year has been hell for me so i decided once i save up a bit for it i’m going to completely upgrade every little thing on my truck that i can. I currently have a stock Bighorn interior and i plan to upgrade that to a Laramie Longhorn interior and film that on its own.

Big thing here is other than that, would you guys be up to watch me swap in a 8HP70 into my 2013 1500 with the 4.7, effectively making it a 1 of 1 truck? It’s not as expensive as i thought it would be which is why i wanna do it so bad now.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's probably some interest in it,as i don't think anybodies made a video of the swap yet. I always thought the 4.7 with an 8 speed would be a good combo.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
There's probably some interest in it,as i don't think anybodies made a video of the swap yet. I always thought the 4.7 with an 8 speed would be a good combo.
Definitely would be, keeping the engine in its power band with no real loses with anything, Close gears with a tall first would give the 4.7 the boost its always needed off the line too. I mean the 4.7 with the RFE drops 3K RPM between 1-2 and we wonder why it did a 10 sec 0-60 stock, LOL.

Id probably stick with 3.55s then for the rear axle. Anything higher and you spend more time going through gears than you do putting power onto the ground. Who knows, i might be able to source a supercharger too.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Definitely would be, keeping the engine in its power band with no real loses with anything, Close gears with a tall first would give the 4.7 the boost its always needed off the line too. I mean the 4.7 with the RFE drops 3K RPM between 1-2 and we wonder why it did a 10 sec 0-60 stock, LOL.

Id probably stick with 3.55s then for the rear axle. Anything higher and you spend more time going through gears than you do putting power onto the ground. Who knows, i might be able to source a supercharger too.
Does Nick at Airram still offer the early Ford blower yet. Another thought would be to turbo one,they do respond well to nitrous to,and it would be your cheapest option.Nitrous and a turbo go hand in hand,nitrous creates instant exhaust heat which helps spool up a turbo ,lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Looks like Nick still has the Eaton blower kit for a 4.7 by this post late last year.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Looks like Nick still has the Eaton blower kit for a 4.7 by this post late last year.

Hell yeah! God i can’t wait!

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It sounds like an excellent idea. I suggest you use a BMW 8HP70 rather than a Chrysler one as they are more robust. Here is a video for you to watch https://youtu.be/n5hSrXZ18cA . Here is a video of an 8HP swapped into a Toyota Land Cruiser https://youtu.be/XEPhckiTB54
The problem with this is the bellhousing is different between the BMW and Chrysler,necessitating an adapter plate,adding extra cost to the swap
Using the Chrysler version,it can be done using all OE parts

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It sounds like an excellent idea. I suggest you use a BMW 8HP70 rather than a Chrysler one as they are more robust. Here is a video for you to watch https://youtu.be/n5hSrXZ18cA . Here is a video of an 8HP swapped into a Toyota Land Cruiser https://youtu.be/XEPhckiTB54
I don't see where the BMW 70 is more robust then the Chrysler 70 is in the video.The last 2 digits of the 8HP series of transmissions are it's torque rating in newton /meters ,so a 70 is rated at 516 lb-ft whether it's in a BMW / Audi / Rolls Royce or a FCA product.The controller he's using is intriguing,but i wonder how much differant it is from the Sound German controller. One thing he missed is using the TCM from a 1320 Challenger,as far as i know,it's the only factory TCM for a 8HP70 that is already set-up for a transbrake,he did mention the 2018 Demons transbrake on it's 8HP90,but i didn't see any mention of the 1320 Challengers transbrake. As an owner of a 1320 Challenger,i'm not so sure i'd worry about any transbrake that still goes through the canbus system,as the drop out on the t-brake leaves alot to be desired.If your foot is quicker on the skinny pedal then the canbus systems drop out is,you're going to put the car into limp mode everytime,ask me how i know,lol. From what i've gathered up the high end Audi supposedly has one of the better TCM programs in a stock application,but a good tuner can duplicate or even exceed the programming of the Audi's TCM utilizing HP. The one thing you don't want to do in a high power application is to reduce the torque management,the 8 speed needs torque management in place to live in a higher power application,another one of them,ask me how i know things,lol.Back in the early days of 8 speed tuning,before anybody knew much about torque management,my tuner and i started to reduce the torque management on my truck,as the truck got faster everytime we pulled a bit of torque management out of it,up till the point the 8HP70 in my truck basically said Fluck you guys and self destructed on a pass at the track, consequently i bought a brand new 8 speed,and we put alot of the torque management back into the truck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963