Who's Done the Math on a Gas PW vs Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Potvinsux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know that MPG's aren't listed for HD trucks but what are we talking about with regards to diesel vs gas on the 2019's? Who has actual highway mpg without towing? I'm taking long highway trips but not always towing. Is the extra mpg with the Cummins make-up for the higher price per gallon? Not worried about cost of the diesel engine since I will buy at the end of the year used or leftover so the $9k upcharge shouldn't be as much.

Last edited:

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The new emissions equipped diesels don't get that great of fuel mileage. I got 14 mpg with my 2016 Ram 2500 Cummins.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
The 8 speed with the 6.4 has been said to be a completely different animal. TFL tested 16.5 mpg hand-calculated a mile above sea level and was a full second and a half quicker to 60mph compared to the 2017(9.7 vs 8.1)

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Cheyenne to Grand Junction and back (over the Rockies and Vail) 700ish mile trip and got 18.3 avg (via display).
6.7 with 5000 miles on it, they say, whoever they are, that it will "break in" about 20k miles and get better.

Daily driving I get mid to high 16s. The same as my Jeeps got, if it wasn't for the $.30 fuel cost difference, I would be no worse off.

OP
OP
P

Potvinsux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. The extra cost of diesel per gallon (at least in the DC metro area) is significant especially since regular gas can be used in the PW.

There is still just something about owning a diesel. Never have but drive one for work.

Raymillsus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I know this is not a 2019 but my 2013 with 210,000 miles on it, 4:10 gears Aisin Dually. Getting 19 on the highway if I keep it at or under 75. After that the mileage goes way down. Towing 20,000 lb camper I am getting 11mpg.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Cheyenne to Grand Junction and back (over the Rockies and Vail) 700ish mile trip and got 18.3 avg (via display).
6.7 with 5000 miles on it, they say, whoever they are, that it will "break in" about 20k miles and get better.

Daily driving I get mid to high 16s. The same as my Jeeps got, if it wasn't for the $.30 fuel cost difference, I would be no worse off.

The evic reading doesn't mean much. Hand calculate and you will be disappointed. I researched extensively the diesel vs. gas prior to buying my 2014 6.4 With the added cost of the option and gas price higher it would have taken a long time to pay for the diesel. I have towed 50,000+ miles now and have no regrets. 8000# trailer and another 1500 in the bed, over all terrain, 9.3 MPG hand calculated. If I was towing 10K I would have went diesel. Of course if you just want a diesel there's nothing wrong with that either.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Op, why are you asking for comparison between a Cummins and a Power Wagon? You do realize the Power Wagon is kind of in a class of its own as it’s only available with the 392 Hemi, and it’s not really a 3/4-ton. You’d almost be better asking for comparisons between two closer-matched 2500’s, one gas, one diesel. If you’re that interested in a PW, then get it as it only comes in virtually one configuration, that is separate from other gas 2500’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Op, why are you asking for comparison between a Cummins and a Power Wagon? You do realize the Power Wagon is kind of in a class of its own as it’s only available with the 392 Hemi, and it’s not really a 3/4-ton. You’d almost be better asking for comparisons between two closer-matched 2500’s, one gas, one diesel. If you’re that interested in a PW, then get it as it only comes in virtually one configuration, that is separate from other gas 2500’s.

I disagree you can go get the prospector fro. AEV and it's just as capable if not more then the PW. Why must we ridicule folks who ha e valid questions. Obviously you do not add value to this conversation. Please think of this before you post.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I disagree you can go get the prospector fro. AEV and it's just as capable if not more then the PW. Why must we ridicule folks who ha e valid questions. Obviously you do not add value to this conversation. Please think of this before you post.

What are you talking about, and what exactly was it that I said that you disagree with? Not that I care, just trying to figure out your post. And I’m not ridiculing anybody. A stock PW doesn’t have the same capability as a regular 3/4-ton. It’s payload and max trailer weight is far less than it’s regular 2500 brother so, comparing a stock PW to a stock Ram 2500 CTD, isn’t really the same thing.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
What are you talking about, and what exactly was it that I said that you disagree with? Not that I care, just trying to figure out your post. And I’m not ridiculing anybody. A stock PW doesn’t have the same capability as a regular 3/4-ton. It’s payload and max trailer weight is far less than it’s regular 2500 brother so, comparing a stock PW to a stock Ram 2500 CTD, isn’t really the same thing.

I disagree a diesel can be every bit capable of the PW, look at the AEV prospector.
You add no value to the OP listing. Not going to go back and forth. It's a legit question they are asking. OP did not ask what the difference was. Bottom line your posting had zero value. Please consider this when posting. I'm not going to argue, my point is very clear.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You add no value to the OP listing. Not going to go back and forth. It's a legit question they are asking. OP did not ask what the difference was. Bottom line your posting had zero value. Please consider this when posting. I'm not going to argue, my point is very clear.

Au contraire, I think I do. And who died and made you forum coach??....lol.

I just don’t think comparing a PW to a regular ole 2500 CTD is a proper comparison but, are you the OP? I don’t think you are so uh, why don’t you take your own advice and let people decide for themselves? But whatever, carry on.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I started to look at PW's but saw the payload and towing capacities and decided against it. They aren't that much higher than a 1500 with 3.92's. Nice trucks but for my purpose I would have been further ahead keeping my 1500.

So have only put about 700 miles on my 2018 2500 6.4 4.10's and on a highway trip my EVIC read just over 17 but it was a short trip. Been averaging about 12 overall

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I average 11mpg unloaded in the Rockies. Towing I get 8. I do have 35s and some extra skid protection.

My diesel did about 16 daily and 12 towing. I also tow a 10k trainer and the PW has zero issues with it, just thirsty.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The Power Wagon is a full size off road capable truck with an HD truck drivetrain, not an HD truck cargo or towing capacity. And I disagree that the AEV Prospector is as off road capable as a Power Wagon. I owned a 2016 Prospector with the Cummins engine. And although it had 37s and a higher capacity winch than the Power Wagon, it did not have front and rear lockers. And the Prospector does not have the soft suspension with as good of an off road ride, and does not have the sway bar disconnect, so it isn't as flexible as the Power Wagon. The Cummins engine is a better engine, but the cost difference is substantial. My 2016 Prospector listed for $88K. I bought my 2018 Power Wagon for $51K. Even after spending $2800 on wheels and 37" tires for the Power Wagon, it is still >$35K less money than the Prospector.

Last edited:

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The Power Wagon is a full size off road capable truck with an HD truck drivetrain, not an HD truck cargo or towing capacity. And I disagree that the AEV Prospector is as off road capable as a Power Wagon. I owned a 2016 Prospector with the Cummins engine. And although it had 37s and a higher capacity winch than the Power Wagon, it did not have front and rear lockers. And the Prospector does not have the soft suspension with as good of an off road ride, and does not have the sway bar disconnect, so it isn't as flexible as the Power Wagon. The Cummins engine is a better engine, but the cost difference is substantial. My 2016 Prospector listed for $88K. I bought my 2018 Power Wagon for $51K. Even after spending $2800 on wheels and 37" tires for the Power Wagon, it is still >$35K less money than the Prospector.

Never said it was less expensive and the AEV website and build sheet shows front and rear lockers. If you add up everything the prospector comes with to include a correct suspension and for for 37s it's closer then you may think. I'd say withing 8k. Which is easily paid for in labor.
Bumpers. Winch. Lighting, new suspension, 37s, rims, heat reduction hood etc....oh and all under factory warranty

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Power Wagon is a full size off road capable truck with an HD truck drivetrain, not an HD truck cargo or towing capacity. And I disagree that the AEV Prospector is as off road capable as a Power Wagon. I owned a 2016 Prospector with the Cummins engine. And although it had 37s and a higher capacity winch than the Power Wagon, it did not have front and rear lockers. The Cummins engine is a better engine, but the cost difference is substantial. My 2016 Prospector listed for $88K. I bought my 2018 Power Wagon for $51K. Even after spending $2800 on wheels and 37" tires for the Power Wagon, it is still >$35K less money than the Prospector.

I think Mr Meister needs to take a chill pill. Thanks to your post, I really didn’t even know what the hell it was he was talking about until now. I didn’t know this “Prospector” was obviously some kind of diesel-powered PW or that it even existed.

I wasn’t saying a regular ole diesel 3/4-ton wasn’t as capable as the PW. Far from it. I was talking about comparing a PW to anything Ram 2500, gas or diesel.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have also never owned a prospector so I can not tell you the capability offroad

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Guys, I think the OP knows he doesn’t need a smoker but is intrigued by the coal-rollers online. If he has more money to burn he’ll buy the tank, and there is no way in hell even a lightly modded 2500 CTD would ever be as capable in fun factor as a PW.

Last edited:

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Guys, I think the OP knows he doesn’t need a smoker but is intrigued by the coal-rollers online. If he has more money to burn he’ll buy the tank, and there is no way in hell even a lightly modded 2500 CTD would ever be as capable in fun factor as a PW.
It’s only suspension differences between a pw and hd2500. I bet you can dang sure put a good suspension, lockers and winch on a ctd oh and something for that deep oil pan lol and it’d be every bit as capable as a “PW” I have a cclb and have only done a thuren kit and it’s more than capable. I add in a front locker and it’s the same thing essentially. A Cummins off-roading would be a huge fun factor imo but once you’ve done all that. The “Cummins” tow rating you had is gone. Soooo tow or play? Can’t do all but you can have a well rounded off-road rig. Which I believe you can buy a pw or build a pw how you’d want it. That’s all the fun whatever it is go get dirty:favorites13: