Who's Done the Math on a Gas PW vs Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
On a really slick surface, sometimes a locker will just make you go sideways.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I disagree a diesel can be every bit capable of the PW, look at the AEV prospector.
You add no value to the OP listing. Not going to go back and forth. It's a legit question they are asking. OP did not ask what the difference was. Bottom line your posting had zero value. Please consider this when posting. I'm not going to argue, my point is very clear.

Pot met kettle.

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Thanks everyone for the discussion.

I know the payload and towing is significantly lower on the PW but don't need it to be any higher with what I tow or carry.

I basically need something that can handle off road situations, and more importantly, deep snow at times. That's why I asked about the PW, however, a CD 2500 intrigued me since I know how dependable and highly regarded it is plus possible better mpg on highway.

As others have said, I don't think a non PW is as capable for what I would need it for. Some mentioned a Prospector, however, not having adaptive cruise control is a deal breaker for me (I know, I know but I truly use it everyday).

I think for what it has, lower price and capabilities, the PW may be what I need.

And the only thing I don't like about the PW is the front bench seat. Really wish I could get a center console but understand the 4wd transfer case lever is there.
It is not a true bench seat. It's 2 buckets w/ a jump seat in the center that doubles a center console. I like this more than a traditional console. It has an under seat compartment for things you don't need to get at regularly and the upper back folds down to be a shallow storage compartment for things you do need to get at regularly. Much better for organization. You don't have to dig down through crap to find something.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

stevehh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
What we really need is a comparison of the PW vs. the Prospector that doesn't have the 4.10 pumpkins. I know from wide ranging experience that the 4.10's are going to make your truck suck gas compared to a taller diff ratio. Also relevant is the automatic vs. the manual. My '03 5.9 manual got 15% to 20% better mpg than my '17 6.7 auto. I'm very disappointed in the mpg of my new one.

Other variables to consider are speed, the difference pulling a load (or pushing air with a camper), and how much you drive on the interstate or in hilly country.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Can't speak for the gasser, but 6.7 2500 bone stock (3.42 gears - automatic), I get 19 MPG at 79MPH. Towing, mostly highway (~ 12,000 lb 5th wheel, 2,000lb pin weight) get 12.5 MPG. Back country, towing.....9.5 MPG, but that is a lot of stop & go, sharp turns, etc.

Used to have ram 1500 hemi (3.92 gears), faster off the line, mileage on highway around the same - 18-20 depending on my enthusiasm level that day :)

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2003 Cummins CRI 5.9 turbo with stock injectors and Edge Evo2 tuner 18" General Grabbers AT2 4X4 8' bed megacab 15.9 mpg from CT to OK carrying 2000+ lbs, and I wasn't nice to the throttle either.

JoeGravel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are looking for a daily driver in the DC metro and you do not tow over 10K, avoid the diesel. Now before all the fanboys flame on, let me explain.
I also liked the thought of a diesel, for a lot of the reasons the OP stated, they are supposedly reliable, powerful, cool, etc. I had ordered an Eco-Diesel 1500 but then found a Laramie 2500 CTD for basically the same price.
That was May 2014, near the beginning of the DEF era (if you don't know what DEF is, STOP, do not pass go, do some research on all the problems DEF related before even considering a hobby diesel). Now comes winter, what nobody tells a diesel novice is that diesels are cold-blooded beasts. In extreme cold, they can be hard to start, so they have heaters that can be plugged into a wall outlet. If you don't park your truck near a power source, it will still start (probably), you just won't get any heat for the first part of your drive. Also, the SCR will not function until the DEF reaches operating temperature (it has its own heater).
For the next two years, I road tripped the diesel through the mountains of VA and WV with some light towing (3-6K) with the bed loaded as well. Some around town driving but a lot of highway with low overall mileage.
About a year and a half in, I get the DEF fluid idiot light. Weird because the DEF tank was 3/4 full. I made it home and took it directly to the dealer before the "Limp mode" started (another thing they don't tell you about). While I was there, a tech ran diagnostics on it and could not get an error code, but the light would not go off, so I left it with them. A week later, I get a call from the Service Manager that my truck was ready, and it was going to be $1000 bill. Now, I had purchased an extended contract because I knew shinola about diesels then and I intended on keeping this truck a long time, so I was miffed that I was being charged anything since the truck was still under factory warranty. According to the service tech, I did not put enough of a load on the truck for the DEF system to operate properly. More than likely, the SCR was tuned improperly which I stated to the SM, Ram Rep, etc. but to no avail, so I told them to keep it. That is why there are now a number of class action suits concerning DEF/SCR/Emissions.
Long story short, if you don't need a diesel, stay away. If you really have your heart set on one, try and find a low mileage, pre-DEF unit (good luck)!

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Much has changed since I bought my 2001 Ram 3/4 ton quad cab 4x4 with a Cummins and 4.10 way back in 2000. Back then the package cost $4,600 on a truck that had a total sticker of $35K. Diesel then in my area was often as much as a dollar a gallon less than regular and that truck would get 20 mpg all day long with the cruise set at 70. Diesels now are FAR more expensive, loaded with emissions equipment and get far poorer mileage. Add to that the fact that in most areas Diesel much more expensive than gas. On the other hand gas powertrains have improved dramatically over the years and get far better power and mileage. I would say unless one is towing heavy all the time or just wants a diesel I'd go with gas. I went back in 2016 when I had sold my diesel and went with my current truck a 1500 crew cab Big Horn 4x4 with Hemi and 3.92 rear. Been an awesome truck for me so far and being older I really don't miss getting beat up driving on Michigan's lunar landscape of roads like the old 3/4 did.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I know that MPG's aren't listed for HD trucks but what are we talking about with regards to diesel vs gas on the 2019's? Who has actual highway mpg without towing? I'm taking long highway trips but not always towing. Is the extra mpg with the Cummins make-up for the higher price per gallon? Not worried about cost of the diesel engine since I will buy at the end of the year used or leftover so the $9k upcharge shouldn't be as much.
The last Cummins I would own was the 5.9 before emission standards made a mess of diesels. With what you listed the 6.4 8spd. should be spot on for your needs. I have a 2000 Cummins that gets 18 to 23 mpg not towing and 12 towing 8000# and my brother gets 10 towing and 16 not with his last of the no-def Cummins. The gas motor is much lighter, more responsive and costs less to maintain and will probably get as good and maybe better mpg than the diesel not to mention much more fun to drive. Unless I was towing very heavy a lot the choice is not even close, 6.4 8 spd.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here was my 2016 Cummins w/ 37s and 4.10 gears that got 10 mpg towing this 18' enclosed trailer
Prospector September 5, 2016.jpg

Here is my 2018 Power Wagon 6.4 Hemi w/ 37s and 4.10 gears that gets 9.5 mpg towing this 22' trailer
Power Wagon Mathed Set 1.jpeg

As far as towing goes, the diesel was far better, and towed the trailer effortlessly, staying in high gear all day long. But as far as fuel mileage goes, ... not really all that much of a difference.

Slympicins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just traded our 2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Mega dually with a 3:73 rear. I was getting 17/18 around town and 21/22 on the highway. I drove it easy and never hammered down. Pulled a 16,000 fifth wheel at around 10/12. Loved my diesel and was my second after a 2500 Laramie Crew with a 3:42. If your not dragging heavy, a 3:73 is more of a daily driver. The 3:42 has the best mpg on my 2500 with about 22/23 on the highway. We have a 2019 1500 and find it hard to get 21/22 on the highway. I miss the exhaust brake on my 2500/3500.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just traded our 2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Mega dually with a 3:73 rear. I was getting 17/18 around town and 21/22 on the highway. I drove it easy and never hammered down. Pulled a 16,000 fifth wheel at around 10/12. Loved my diesel and was my second after a 2500 Laramie Crew with a 3:42. If your not dragging heavy, a 3:73 is more of a daily driver. The 3:42 has the best mpg on my 2500 with about 22/23 on the highway. We have a 2019 1500 and find it hard to get 21/22 on the highway. I miss the exhaust brake on my 2500/3500.

What diffs does your new halfton have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro