Who's got a V6 Ram 1500 5th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcus Bancroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I test drove a V6 Bighorn ram yesterday, it feel like it would be a good everyday driver, kind of in place of a car or SUV, not ideal for heavy towing etc. Who has one and are you happy with the performance / gas mileage ? I can easily get 20 mpg if I am gentle on my 2010 5.7 but will I miss the power ? I don't tow very often.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I had a 2917 Laramie Sport V-6 that had good everyday power and moderate towing capacity. Nice gas mileage too.

Now have a 2019 Hemi Laramie and really don’t need that much for my daily driving: I’ll go back to a V-6 on my next pickup. Doing the same driving I saw the V-6 about 4-5 mpg better than V-8.

OtterOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Huge fan of the V6 on the 5th Gen! It does everything I need it to do (mostly it has lots of room and gets good MPGs)!!! I get about 20-22 depending on my driving habits. About 60% of my normal driving is highway, the stretch’s of non-highway driving i am getting about 20 MPG.

Matty Moo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 14 with the 6 then a 16 with the hemi. When I traded the 16 in last week I wanted another 6, but they don't lease well as far as incentives go.

Icejob8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The HEMI in my 2010 Ram Laramie 5.7 died just over 2 weeks ago. No way I was rebuilding anything on a valvetrain with 165,000 miles on it.

I have had my 2020 Big Horn Built to Serve V6 for a little over a week now, and here are my thoughts comparing them:

-there is a HUGE difference in power, torque and acceleration. That HEMI would blow this V6 etorque out of the water.
-the 2020 has a quieter cabin, less road noise
-the 2020 is smoother, however my 2010 was lifted 6” on 35’s
-V6 gas mileage is better but not by much

All in all the V6 is just ok, you can absolutely tell the power difference, it is in my opinion a family vehicle shaped like a truck. So far it’s been great for my commute to work, hauling the kids around, trips to the store etc.

In summary I wouldn’t say I am disappointed with the V6, but I will say I miss the HEMI and am already looking forward to buying another. I just miss the acceleration, the responsiveness and the confidence/balls the HEMI has when towing.

All of which is just my opinion.

Vegasheat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New 2020 3.6 Warlock in the driveway with less than 200 miles on, traded in the 05 Frontier and I cold not be happier with it.

Yes it has towing limitations, but if I was towing on a regular basis the 2500 would’ve been my choice, the ride quality and MPG is awesome compared to the Frontier..

So I’m very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Icejob8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
New 2020 3.6 Warlock in the driveway with less than 200 miles on, traded in the 05 Frontier and I cold not be happier with it.

Yes it has towing limitations, but if I was towing on a regular basis the 2500 would’ve been my choice, the ride quality and MPG is awesome compared to the Frontier..

So I’m very happy with it.

I could be wrong, usually am! But I believe the 2020 Warlock is a Gen 4 not a Gen 5?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could be wrong, usually am! But I believe the 2020 Warlock is a Gen 4 not a Gen 5?

In this case, you would be correct. Warlock is a "classic" or 4th gen.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've got a thread going on comparing the hemi to the pentastar given I've I've owned both.

I found the powertrain to be much more busy on my 2019 classic with a hemi, 8spd and 3.21. It wants to get into 8th as quickly as possible and then you've got MDS to varying degrees kicking in/out. It drives me nuts on hilly or non-steady-ish type driving so I disable MDS for those conditions.

For my 2017 Pentastar powered Ram (8spd, 3.21s), it would typically stay out of 8th unless you were ultra steady-state, but if it was going in/out of 8th more than I liked, I'd just enable tow/haul mode, where it won't go into 8th, where the hemi still will.

In terms of pin you in the seat power, the pentastar never left me disappointed, but the hemi definitely has more power to do so.

I'm only about 600-700 miles in on my new to me 2019, but so far my fuel economy difference is my pentastar did about 2mpg better average fuel economy. The hemi is impressive MPG wise if you drive it easy.

Forgot to mention, I liked my Pentastar powered Ram enough that I would have bought another had it not been so impossible to find an SLT classic crew cab with one.

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure myself? Just assumed it was a 5th gen since it was a 2020, need to research now...

It can be a little confusing but ram has made the 2019 and 2020 “classic” (which includes the warlock) concurrently with the new 5th generation. Just google a picture of a new 5th generation and you will see the differences (different headlights/tail lights and interiors among other things), or google any 2009-18 ram and you will see they look very similar to the warlock.

Also for your future reference, when ordering or buying parts you will want to make sure they are made for the “classic”, as most 5th gen parts will not work on the 4th gen classic.

Aaron Fontenot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l VVT
I test drove a V6 Bighorn ram yesterday, it feel like it would be a good everyday driver, kind of in place of a car or SUV, not ideal for heavy towing etc. Who has one and are you happy with the performance / gas mileage ? I can easily get 20 mpg if I am gentle on my 2010 5.7 but will I miss the power ? I don't tow very often.

Aaron Fontenot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l VVT
You might get close to 20 mpg but you would have to drive it carefully all the time. I have the 2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman quad cab and I have to use cruise control a lot and try to keep your idle hours low. Also, AEM performance air filter is the best one to get. K&N has oil that can and will mess up the engine

emersr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Ram Big Horn with the 3.6l I average about 17.5 miles city and was able to get 20.5 highway on it this past week. The truck was extremely comfortable for the 5 hour straight drive. I was a little apprehensive when I first purchased a truck about utilizing it for long trips. However after this trip for work I could not be happier with it's performance and comfort. As this was my first ram truck I'm definitely going to buy another one when the time comes.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally IMO..... I would never buy a "truck" with a V6. They are under powered, the resale value is much less, and for the 2-3 mpg difference I want something under my right foot that goes when I want it to go. Try a 0 - 60 in a V6 then try it in the Hemi. Not saying I tear up the road but when I need to go I want to go, not think about it. I guess if you live in a flat area and never tow then it would be ok, but for me, hills and valleys, more power is needed.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Ram Year
20??
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Personally IMO..... I would never buy a "truck" with a V6. They are under powered, the resale value is much less, and for the 2-3 mpg difference I want something under my right foot that goes when I want it to go. Try a 0 - 60 in a V6 then try it in the Hemi. Not saying I tear up the road but when I need to go I want to go, not think about it. I guess if you live in a flat area and never tow then it would be ok, but for me, hills and valleys, more power is needed.
Under powered and resale value are all relative. It's been my experience with talking to Hemi owners, the mpg is more than 2-3. More like 3-5. That's significant to me anyway.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I'm very happy with my V6 2019 Warlock. I don't do any towing and didn't buy it for performance. V6, 6.4 bed, smooth ride, basic electronics, and looks did it for me. It's perfect for an every day driver. I'm on the road a lot so comfortability is important. I'm getting anywhere from 20.8 to 22 MPG. I never really consider resale value. I keep my trucks 10+ years.

Matt Penny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L
I just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock w/the newly revamped 3.6L, I put 1800 miles on it in a week driving up to and through the mountain areas of N. Arizona, got 22MPG and had absolutely no problems with the power or torque going up those long stretches of 15 or more degree grade road. So far, I am completely happy with my new truck.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
If they ever offered a Turbo Pentastar I'd be all over it.
It's amazing how much power the get out of them by adding some boost.
I would miss the Hemi sound though...