Who's got a V6 Ram 1500 5th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wish Ram would dump the e torque option on the 5th gen V6. A v6 1500 would make a great replacement for my wife’s Subaru Outback that only gets 25 MPG. She already takes my 2500 when she’s hauling friends or family. I just have zero interest in e torque.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wish Ram would dump the e torque option on the 5th gen V6. A v6 1500 would make a great replacement for my wife’s Subaru Outback that only gets 25 MPG. She already takes my 2500 when she’s hauling friends or family. I just have zero interest in e torque.

I went from a series of new Subarus to my 2017 Ram 1500 pentastar. I think my last Subaru, a 2016 Forester base model with CVT got closer to 28mpg for my usage, so I lost about 5mpg going with the Ram. Not the end of the world. I never had problems with my Subarus, I just don't get their popularity. Their AWD system sucks with the tires they put on them from the factory, the HVAC systems are horribly weak on the newer ones, etc.

jmbennington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V-6
I like it. But I’m also coming from a Durango that chose when and how much AC to let us use. [emoji23] I plan on using mine to fish and stay at the cottages on Del Mar beach Camp Pendleton. We needed the bed to throw stuff in. Had it maybe 2 weeks. Kinda wish I’d done more homework but that’s why I’m here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Personally IMO..... I would never buy a "truck" with a V6. They are under powered, the resale value is much less, and for the 2-3 mpg difference I want something under my right foot that goes when I want it to go. Try a 0 - 60 in a V6 then try it in the Hemi. Not saying I tear up the road but when I need to go I want to go, not think about it. I guess if you live in a flat area and never tow then it would be ok, but for me, hills and valleys, more power is needed.

I think you better March your little ass down to the nearest ram dealer and try out a new V6 Pentastar. Yes the Hemi is faster in 0 to 60 and more powerful, but that Pentastar is no slouch. It will pin you back in the seat, definitely better than 3mpg than the Hemi. And when your cruising the highway and need to pass that pos chevy that you just about ran over, that V6 I isn't far from its peak torque range, you put your foot down it drops a gear and you are gone, way closer to a Hemi performance there than from a dead stop.
As for resale value, there is almost no difference in value between the 2 compared to the purchase price. You get more for a Hemi, but you also paid more for the Hemi new....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think V6 should come with 3.92 rear axle standard. But then, it would lower the MPG rating.

Pocketfisherman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l eTorque
2020 !500 Bighorn Quad Cab with the 3.6 eTorque here. Mine has the towing package with the 3.92 rear end. Getting 18-19mpg city and it will get 24mpg at 65mph, and 23 at 70mph. The power is more than adequate, even downright fun. The truck has no problem lighting up the rear tires with the traction control off and it will beat 90% of anything out there off a red light. It's smooth, sounds good, and the 8spd is unobtrusive and not laggy or soft shifting. RAM did a great job with this package and the Pentastar is a well proven reliable package. It really does not feel much different than my 3rd gen Hemi with 3:26 gears, but the 19mpg city beats the pants off the 12mpg city on my old RAM.

Al Fraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Express Blacked Out Edition
Engine
I just purchased a 2021 Classic, could be happier. 1400 kms on it and averaging about 19 MPG, a little heavy on the foot. The only thing I can say is that it switches between 7th and 8th gear alot. Too much for me. Other than that I am pleased with my purchase.

Skjohn98

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, soon to be 2021
Engine
I owned a 14 Tradesman with a V-6, traded it in on a 18 Quad cab V-6, just ordered a 21 with a V-6 Crew cab, and the wife drives a Durango with a V-6, the only thing we have pulled is a 16' bass tracker, the 18 get's us around 22 mpg, driving highway will get us near 24 mpg, I have never had a problem with punching it when needed. As for pulling the boat to upper Minnesota we get maybe 18mpg. If I need speed I take out the 2010 Mustang GT and play.

skbball06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Classic Quad Cab Bighorn
Engine
3.6 V6 Etorque
I test drove a V6 Bighorn ram yesterday, it feel like it would be a good everyday driver, kind of in place of a car or SUV, not ideal for heavy towing etc. Who has one and are you happy with the performance / gas mileage ? I can easily get 20 mpg if I am gentle on my 2010 5.7 but will I miss the power ? I don't tow very often.
I just bought a 2021 3.6 v6 bighorn 4x4. Absolutely love it. I dont tow much either but you can still tow right up near 6000lbs. Gas mileage is definitely better than the Hemi - partially due to one of the features of the etoruque ( auto engine start/stop). I personally hate the feature and just turn it off. In my opinion if you are a minimal tow person go ahead and save yourself some bucks on sticker price and gas mileage. I struggled at this part too like I was cheating on the Hemi LOL. Its an awesome truck go for it! Good luck!

Skjohn98

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, soon to be 2021
Engine
I have a 2021 Bighorn with the 3.6 and 4 wheel drive. A few times a year I pull a 17ft boat from NW Indiana up to Northern Minnesota.
I drive what you can say is very conservative. I do drive some on the interstate.
When I drive I use the cruise control quite a bit because I am not in a hurry (I am retired)
If I am not above 23 MPG I am disappointed.
When I pull the boat I would say it gets about 17 mpg.
This is my third ram with the 3.6, the others were a 2014,and a 2018. We also have a 2017 Durango with a 3.6. If I feel the need for speed I drive our 2010 Mustang GT, but I don't feel that need often it has less then 59,000 miles on it

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh you guys make it so difficult....I have my eyes on a well equipped '21 Warlock. It has everything I want but has the V6. I'm coming from a few Rams, most recently a '19 Hemi Crew Cab. I don't tow much and if I do, not heavy (occasional small boat and snow mobiles). I see above that some love it and others not so much. I guess I'll have to see if I can test drive one - this one is in transit....

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Oh you guys make it so difficult....I have my eyes on a well equipped '21 Warlock. It has everything I want but has the V6. I'm coming from a few Rams, most recently a '19 Hemi Crew Cab. I don't tow much and if I do, not heavy (occasional small boat and snow mobiles). I see above that some love it and others not so much. I guess I'll have to see if I can test drive one - this one is in transit....
I had three Hemis in a row leading up to my '17 Rebel with the Pentastar. I thought I was going to miss the Hemi so much, and as it turns out, four years in to it, I don't. The V6 is just fine, and it's not wanting for anything because I don't tow regularly any more. I occasionally drag a two horse trailer (4200# more or less) and it does just fine.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had three Hemis in a row leading up to my '17 Rebel with the Pentastar. I thought I was going to miss the Hemi so much, and as it turns out, four years in to it, I don't. The V6 is just fine, and it's not wanting for anything because I don't tow regularly any more. I occasionally drag a two horse trailer (4200# more or less) and it does just fine.

Thanks for the info. I'm more concerned with enough pep. I don't hot-rod but I do want it to get out of its own way when I step on it. My wife has a Jeep with the V6 and it's "ok" but is also lighter than the truck. Thanks again.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
Just gave up a 2021 Limited because it was a gasaholic. Bought a 2019 BigHorn v6. Love it and the gas mileage. Only thing I wish it had as 3.55 gears. Here in noth Texas, we have wind and 70 against a head wind, it likes 7th gear. If they had a v6 limited, I would have bought one. Bought the 2019 in October with 7200 mi. for 37000.00

If you are not a trailer puller, you won't really miss the hemi until you pass the gas pump. You give up highend pep but the power curve on a v6 is a lot higher than a hemi.

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. I'm more concerned with enough pep. I don't hot-rod but I do want it to get out of its own way when I step on it. My wife has a Jeep with the V6 and it's "ok" but is also lighter than the truck. Thanks again.

Wife also has a Jeep JL with the 3.6 e-torque. Everyone complains about the etorque but is works fine. I couldn’t imagine a 1500 with a v-6. The v-6 moves the JL well but it weighs a lot less. My 3/4 ton 6.4 will run laps around the JL v6 while weighing more and getting 15-16 MPG.

If MPG is a concern, buy a Prius.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wife also has a Jeep JL with the 3.6 e-torque. Everyone complains about the etorque but is works fine. I couldn’t imagine a 1500 with a v-6. The v-6 moves the JL well but it weighs a lot less. My 3/4 ton 6.4 will run laps around the JL v6 while weighing more and getting 15-16 MPG.

If MPG is a concern, buy a Prius.

I'm not the OP, but was also tempted by a V6 and following this thread. I ended up passing on the V6 and going with another Hemi. I just wasn't convinced....

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the comments in this thread, the subject matter was an important topic that I thought long & hard about before, during and after the initial signing for my new truck.

I purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock QC 5.7l a couple of weeks ago, it has just under 1000 km (600 miles).

This is my first Ram, replacing a 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited DC 5.7l . The Toyota was fabulous for power, it could easily mash 4 adult passengers into the seats while passing Sunday drivers on the highway.

Unfortunately, Toyota Tundras still have the same crappy gas mileage of 14+ years ago and are far behind the 5.7l Ram trucks. Plus replacement parts are ridiculously expensive.

I'm not 25 anymore, I retired 7.5 years ago and live in a rural environment (highway to go anywhere past the community mailbox.

I usually drive conservatively, not much over the speed limit, however; I do not appreciate being stuck behind Sunday drivers or those that appear to have not learned the value of using cruise or maintaining a steady velocity.

I had tried out a 2021 V6 Ram 1500 and signed an agreement to purchase, thinking the power was adequate, the gas savings would be excellent & worth the sacrifice to my driving enjoyment.

Two days later the buyer's remorse started. I recalled the many occasions over the past 13+ years that I so appreciated the power & performance of my 5.7l Tundra and that one short 20-minute test drive in the V6 was short of stellar for get-up & go.

Lucky for me, I called the sales manager and said, oops, sorry, how about a 5.7l instead. He didn't even blink and started searching for my truck.

I wish I could have been satisfied with the V6 but I knew it wasn't for me. If you're contemplating the V6, you have to be honest with yourself. They're good for some and not the best choice for everyone.

Do you thoroughly enjoy driving in a powerful vehicle and never having that feeling of 'I wish I wouldn't get stuck behind that Sunday driver' or 'that massive & slow-moving transport truck'?

This is only my opinion and preference and I don't believe there's a wrong choice between the 3.6l & 5.7l .

Last edited:

dbr7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Newbie here! Just got my first RAM and pickup. 2021 1500 Classis Warlock, V6. I wanted a Gladiator (base or Sport), because I'm a manual shift fanatic, but I settled for the RAM because of the crazy market., I love this Warlock. Just trying to figure out the best resonator/tail delete method (make one or buy one).

Threesuns1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked up my Ram truck back on 1/29 and have put over 750 miles on it so far. Most of my driving has been on rural roads in Northeastern Maryland, with three trips down I95 to Annapolis. I'm averaging 19.3 on the lie-o-meter and still on my second tank of gas. As my signature says I have the 3:21 gears which aren't helping on these back roads, but I see the MPG average steadily increase on the highway. At this time, I have driven about 200 miles highway. I picked this configuration for the 2 -3 times a month 180-mile trip I will be taking to the eastern shore of Maryland for fishing, crabbing, and hunting which I'll start in March. As far as towing, I will only be towing a 17' aluminum boat about a mile to the ramp when I'm down the shore. I am extremely happy so far with this truck and expect to get 24 MPG on my trips over the flat lands on the trips to the shore. And if I need to tow anything heavier, I still have my 2000 F250 with the 7.3 diesel.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Newbie here! Just got my first RAM and pickup. 2021 1500 Classis Warlock, V6. I wanted a Gladiator (base or Sport), because I'm a manual shift fanatic, but I settled for the RAM because of the crazy market., I love this Warlock. Just trying to figure out the best resonator/tail delete method (make one or buy one).

I like to shift my own as well, but the manual in the Gladiator is hot garbage. You did yourself a favor.