Why are manufacturers still putting chrome on trucks?

Do you like trucks with chrome?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue Earl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love my chrome! I have a hardworking, dark blue truck who also likes to look fancy after being washed off. I get a lot of compliments on him.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess the results speak for themselves. Op made an error in his original post. the vast majority seem to like chrome. It’s ironic because most of them say it’s because blacked out is played out, but here we are... 3-1 are Chrome.
also bizarre that a significant amount cited “don’t care” Why would they even click on this thread?

Because it's fun to see what others thimk.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Interesting that over 50% of us like chrome over 20% to black. If you like black I am happy for you . BUT I chose maroon and chrome for 2 reasons. 1. I and my wife restored my 47 Pontiac (originally black) and repainted it to maroon and all that chrome on that car was just PURE CLASS. Then we used it as our get away car when we got married. That car was SHARP and so is my RAM. #2 reason I chose chrome is looks great I can drive this truck to any event of any type and not be embarrassed because I did not drive one of my classy cars. My RAM looks great and now I have even redone the grill with Laramie grill inserts so it has more chrome on the grill. It is CLASS ALL THE WAY . As well as a SHARP work truck. Ram_Classic_1.jpg

Murdock188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMG_20201025_114946.jpgimo chrome bumpers and grill are what works the best I added the chrome looking running boards but that's about the limit for chrome for me. Some chrome but not overdone.

I've seen guys with chrome accents on every possible area of their trucks, not for me but I'm not the one driving it so no matter. Love my truck and they love theirs lol

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hate chrome!
I had considered ordering a 2500 Tradesman and getting the Power Wagon package but one of the things it adds to the truck is chrome bumpers and that just sucks.
It's weird cause the actual Power Wagon comes with black ones...

Bennyrok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I can most certainly agree that a lot of people like the blacked out look, and that they should make the chrome package optional. BUT!! myself? I love the look of chrome, and I like the blacked out look, so I guess its to each his own.
For my 2014 simple black bighorn? I had plans, and it took me five years to bring my truck to this level.
Their are mods in this truck to numerous to even list besides the visual ones, so ill just post a few pics.Plane Jane.jpg Left Side.jpg Right Side.jpg Int. Dash.jpg Int. Door.jpg

JjLuv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not bashing anyone that likes chrome, everyone has got different tastes and that's all good with me.

In todays market it just seems to me like that vast majority of consumers don't want chrome on their trucks, and if they buy a truck with chrome they end up painting over it...

I personally can't stand chrome on my vehicles, i just think it looks cheap and gaudy. I shopped for my truck for a long time to get the one i wanted without any chrome.

I think Ram understands this better than other makers, so many ram trucks are outfitted with color matched bumpers and black accents/wheels.

Ford gets it too, it seems like more F-150's now have paint matched bumpers now as well.

In my opinion it seems like chevy and toyota have a running contest going to see who can fit more ugly chrome on the front of a truck lol

What are your thoughts? Do you guys still like chrome or no chrome?

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In fact plan to ADD some Chrome to my '14 RAM Express. I never really like the whole move to monochromatic styling. I have chrome step bars, fake chrome factory 20" wheels and I'm going to add a chrome bull bar to the front. This the front of this truck is all plastic, This should help if one of the neighbors dogs decides to become truck fodder.
And speaking of monochromatic paint schemes, a pet peeve of mine are people that take a classic car, strip all the metal trim off, and then paint the bumpers the body color. In my opinion they just took a car that might have been worth something and turned it into junk. To each his own and whatever, but if you like the purple jelly bean look, stick to newer cars.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Because this truck would look like crap without chrome. Not everyone likes monochrome paint just like not everyone likes chrome. The manufacturers know this so they make them both ways. Personally I like the chrome on this truck.

20200920_154440_resized_3.jpg

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess the results speak for themselves. Op made an error in his original post. the vast majority seem to like chrome. It’s ironic because most of them say it’s because blacked out is played out, but here we are... 3-1 are Chrome.
also bizarre that a significant amount cited “don’t care” Why would they even click on this thread?

I didn't make an error in my original post. I was sharing my personal opinion and was curious to hear others opinions. I never attacked anyone for liking chrome.

Mostly everyone in this thread has been capable of having an intelligent conversation about it and respecting different opinions.

You made an error with your ignorant comment.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally like chrome and don't think it looks gaudy at all. My Express had color matched bumpers and came with black door handles and mirrors and grill inserts with painted wheels. I have since lifted it and added chrome wheels, door handles, mirrors and grill inserts. I can't stand the new no chrome look and no emblem look and black wheels on everything. I guess it's just a matter of preference. I'm a little older that some of the other guys so maybe that has something to do with it. I will say I get more compliments with this truck than any other truck I have owned so who knows? 85ed87704970668fb1be709450cef166.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
What wheels are those? They are sexy!!!!!!!!!

KenOfAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a boomer, and I like both the chrome and color matched bumpers, grills, and mirrors. But I only like aluminum finish and chrome wheels. I think black wheels look like cheap crap. You can't easily see the detail on black wheels unless you are right next to them.

tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I really don’t know what I’m doing any different from you are but I don’t find it that hard to keep my chrome clean. In the summertime, all I use is just a can of that bug and tar remover to coat the front of it to help the bug splatters wipe off easier and up until I started using a foam cannon, I would just use a bucket with a wash brush and some Maguires car wash soap, then dry it off with a large microfiber towel after spraying some wax-as-you-dry on it.
Time)) As i said: i don't have time to wash it everyday. Even almost every morning i have to dry night's dew off otherwise dried under the sun water stains so hard to remove.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Time)) As i said: i don't have time to wash it everyday. Even almost every morning i have to dry night's dew off otherwise dried under the sun water stains so hard to remove.

And I don’t wash mine every day. I really don’t even have time to wash mine once a week like I’d like to but usually on average about every two weeks I try to wash my truck and I really don’t even spend a whole lot of time doing it but keeping a good coat of wax on there will sure help against those water spots, bug splatters, bird ****.... and when I say wax, I don’t even get out there with the traditional bottle of wax, sponge applicator and moistened microfiber buffing/polishing towel; matter of fact, I haven’t done that in years except for a spot here or there for a scratch repair because as far as I’m concerned, just using that wax product that comes in a spray bottle that you spray on your vehicle when it’s still wet from rinsing it, and then using the big microfiber towel to dry it off. That’s the extent of my keeping a good coat of wax on my truck that seems to do really really well.

Not trying to argue with you because I don’t know your schedule but, I’m just saying that it’s really not that hard at all to do a quick little wash and wax job. Even when I don’t use my foam cannon, just a 5 gallon bucket with water and some real good Maguires car wash soap in there mixed in and a fairly large wash brush with an extension handle and I can wash my truck, scrub it in about 20 minutes, rinse it, spray my wax on there and dry it off. Easy peasey.