Why are manufacturers still putting chrome on trucks?

Do you like trucks with chrome?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eldoradoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
I believe the op was referring to the bumpers and mirrors that look cheap. And for the most part they really are. Especially the grilles, door handles, and mirrors that are not much better than the shiny side of foil wrapped in saran wrap. They start to bubble and peal and its over.
What I laughed at with the comment was that your truck is monotone. With color matching bumpers. Chrome can be a PITA and when it gets a little dirty, tends to look much worse (cheap) than the painted surfaces around it.
I was a good example of what the OP described and disappeared a lot of the chrome on my limited, it was over the top for me and I have only heard positive comments about it. Not one person has said they preferred the chrome. But thats just my experience.

View attachment 229745

View attachment 229747

What/how did you do to your grill? I have the same grill and its too much chrome.
Thanks!

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What have I learned after starting these stupid threads?

Apparently I'm a complete moron for even insinuating that it's acceptable to not have chrome on a truck.

I can't even believe I was ignorant enough to dis-like chrome on trucks...i'm embarrassed and disgusted with myself.

I sincerely apologize for my heinous opinions...I'll try to like what you guys like next time.

I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me for disliking chrome and cloth seats...I was wrong and I understand that now. I just hope I didnt ruin too many lives because of it.

:popcorn: :upyours: :jester:
Hey Idc I get what you are saying. Some people here get butthurt from the manufacturers ****. I don't like blacked out (I have seen maybe two trucks I though was good and one had a little chrome). I'm just old school I like shiny **** maybe because it reminds me of a better time and when vehicles used shiny metal not chrome vinyl on plastic.

Anyhow I do agree on cloth seats. I get rid of them. About to tackle a Katzkin kit for 2 of my 2nd gens. My 4th gens are "leather"

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have '17 Orange/black, NO Chrome, would not look right! But also have a 2020 Delmonica Red Pearl. Now it HAS Chrome, but not too much, and it looks much better than black would. To each their own I guess.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have '17 Orange/black, NO Chrome, would not look right! But also have a 2020 Delmonica Red Pearl. Now it HAS Chrome, but not too much, and it looks much better than black would. To each their own I guess.

I don’t know, I think black and chrome go together really really well. Although I’m pretty damn sure that I wouldn’t of cared for the the chrome RAM letters on the back of my Maximum steel metallic tailgate but the 2017 Limited ram 1500 that I looked at when I was shopping for my new truck, that was that black pearl coat or whatever it is, the chrome ram letters on the back of the tailgate looked pretty sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSgtZ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So my Ram Laramie has the most chrome of any vehicle I have ever had (not counting the real chrome bumpers on my 66 Custom 500, 76 Gran Torino, 80 F100 Custom, 87 F250 Lariat, and the bumpers on my 98 F150 XL). The 66 was the only one with chrome grill and trim. My 05 Super Duty only had the fake chrome grill and badging even the bumpers on that one where painted. I really don’t care either way as the vehicle has to look good and be reliable.

That being said even my two Harleys show how fickle I am. My Ultra Classic has a lot of chrome (with one exception the previous owner put all the extra on it, with the pearl white color the chrome is excellent. My Super Glide is blacked as that is how the Sport model came from the factory and I love the look on that bike. Only chrome is the steering lock and and ignition lock/switch on that bike).

So to each his own and some of us it depends on the vehicle/model and color.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm not bashing anyone that likes chrome, everyone has got different tastes and that's all good with me.

In todays market it just seems to me like that vast majority of consumers don't want chrome on their trucks, and if they buy a truck with chrome they end up painting over it...

I personally can't stand chrome on my vehicles, i just think it looks cheap and gaudy. I shopped for my truck for a long time to get the one i wanted without any chrome.

I think Ram understands this better than other makers, so many ram trucks are outfitted with color matched bumpers and black accents/wheels.

Ford gets it too, it seems like more F-150's now have paint matched bumpers now as well.

In my opinion it seems like chevy and toyota have a running contest going to see who can fit more ugly chrome on the front of a truck lol

What are your thoughts? Do you guys still like chrome or no chrome?
I say everyone has their own taste. Personally I am ok with both except I have to have chrome wheels and exhaust minimum. I've had and seen trucks with chrome bumpers and grills too that look great. Also I like chrome emblems. With that said I've NEVER bought a vehicle to impress anyone but myself. Never bought a chick magnet, lol.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While there are many who still like chrome, I do not. I got the black appearance package on my black Rebel and my last Ram [2016 Sport] had all black accents as well. Can't stand the sight of it these days.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is black on black on black because that’s what my mood is. I’m so angry and disenfranchised BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH...
Seriously I’m a 20%er, chromes just not my thing. Right now...that could change.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let’s get to the real questions here. Why are manufacturers still offering steel frames?

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963