Why Are My Heated Seats & Heated Steering Wheel Activating Randomly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Hello. It hasn't happened in a long while but the other day it cropped up again. I had turned on both heated seats (low setting) and steering wheel early in the morning, but turned them off after awhile, as they were no longer needed. After parking the vehicle for a couple hours, the day had warmed up nicely and the sun had warmed the interior very well. I got back in and drove away and the heated seats and steering wheel automatically activated WITHOUT my turning them on. And I noticed the seat heat setting this time was HIGH. So I had to go into the uconnect screen and turn them both off.

Anyone else have this happening? I ask because my 3 year warranty expires in just a little over a week and I need to know if I need to bring this in to have it diagnosed and fixed.

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie.

Thank you!!

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How cold was it outside?
I think mine come on if under 40 degrees unless turned off in uconnect - which it is because getting in a cold truck to hot seats and wheel just, well, freaks me out. lol

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
There is a setting under comfort to turn the seat and steering wheel on after starting up when it is 40° or below.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
There is a setting under comfort to turn the seat and steering wheel on after starting up when it is 40° or below.

Both turned on when it was 60 degrees outside and about 75 inside the truck

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Check your ambient temp sensor read-out if it happens again. As previously mentioned, they turn on at 40 deg so if the trucks sesnor said it was 40 out, that's why. Has nothing to do with inside temp.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Check your ambient temp sensor read-out if it happens again. As previously mentioned, they turn on at 40 deg so if the trucks sesnor said it was 40 out, that's why. Has nothing to do with inside temp.
I would have no idea how to check a sensor. Sounds like I better bring it in to the dealership before my warranty runs out in 10 days.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I would have no idea how to check a sensor. Sounds like I better bring it in to the dealership before my warranty runs out in 10 days.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You would check that by looking at the outside temp displayed on the stereo and/or the EVIC.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
You would check that by looking at the outside temp displayed on the stereo and/or the EVIC.
The outside temp at that time was about 55-60F, and that temp would have been displayed in the instrument cluster

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The outside temp at that time was about 55-60F
Yes, I saw that above. But the truck has a sensor to monitor the outside temp. If for some reason it sensed a colder temp, the seat/wheel heater would kick on. Easiest way to check is look at what is displayed in the truck as the outside temp.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Yes, I saw that above. But the truck has a sensor to monitor the outside temp. If for some reason it sensed a colder temp, the seat/wheel heater would kick on. Easiest way to check is look at what is displayed in the truck as the outside temp.
What was displayed in the truck as the outside temp was 55 F. That display is always accurate.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Hello. It hasn't happened in a long while but the other day it cropped up again. I had turned on both heated seats (low setting) and steering wheel early in the morning, but turned them off after awhile, as they were no longer needed. After parking the vehicle for a couple hours, the day had warmed up nicely and the sun had warmed the interior very well. I got back in and drove away and the heated seats and steering wheel automatically activated WITHOUT my turning them on. And I noticed the seat heat setting this time was HIGH. So I had to go into the uconnect screen and turn them both off.

Anyone else have this happening? I ask because my 3 year warranty expires in just a little over a week and I need to know if I need to bring this in to have it diagnosed and fixed.

2029 Ram 3500 Laramie.

Thank you!!

Well it's easy to see what's going on here. You said you have a 2029, so congrats on getting your hands on a truck from the future.
What's causing this concern is the AI, Artificial Intelligence. It knows what you really need. You do not. Don't try to fight it.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Well it's easy to see what's going on here. You said you have a 2029, so congrats on getting your hands on a truck from the future.
What's causing this concern is the AI, Artificial Intelligence. It knows what you really need. You do not. Don't try to fight it.
?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I was being sarcastic. Obviously you went back and edited it but it said 2029 as you can see in the quote.
But anyways I don't have anymore to add except I'd check with the dealer to see if maybe the issue is known and they have an updated reflash.
Also do you have the large 12" screen? I'd suspect an issue with that is possible. So many complaints about that unit.

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What was displayed in the truck as the outside temp was 55 F. That display is always accurate.
If it's displaying 55 and the heaters are coming on, something is wrong. Your plan to take it to a dealer before the warranty runs out sounds like a good one.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
AN UPDATE:
Well, today I got my '19 3500 Laramie in to have the Dealership look into this heated seat/ steering wheel anomaly--and with just 6 days left on my 3 year, 36,000 warranty. And, am I ever glad I did. A tech worked for 2 hours on it, trying to re-flash the system to no avail. The entire Uconnect radio needs to be replaced, including the 12 inch touch screen. I imagine that is a costly repair. Glad I don't have to pay for it.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
AN UPDATE:
Well, today I got my '19 3500 Laramie in to have the Dealership look into this heated seat/ steering wheel anomaly--and with just 6 days left on my 3 year, 36,000 warranty. And, am I ever glad I did. A tech worked for 2 hours on it, trying to re-flash the system to no avail. The entire Uconnect radio needs to be replaced, including the 12 inch touch screen. I imagine that is a costly repair. Glad I don't have to pay for it.
Figured that. So many problems with those.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Figured that. So many problems with those.
I looked back and saw you had asked if I had the 12 inch screen, which I do. I am hoping the new one they replace it with has the bugs worked out of it. They did not not have any of these parts at the large Dealership in Phoenix, AZ. I was told it could be 1 - 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Last week I brought the truck into the Dealership as it only had one month left on the Factory bumper to bumper Warranty. A tech worked on it for almost 2 hours. He found that the entire radio and 12 inch touch screen needed to be replaced. So, I am waiting on a call when the parts come in.