Why are you guys still buying Ram "Classics"???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Price. Fully loaded barely used 2019 classic big horn sticker $45,000 got it for $27,000 out the door.

I also like the look better than the 5th gen.

after lots of research I saw where people were having trouble with the 5th gens and they are manufactured at 2 new plants. I decided to stick with the true tested 4th gen and let others work out the bugs in the 5th gen.

been there done that when the 2011 Durango’s came back. Great vehicle but was in shop too much.

Congrats on the great deal and nice truck! Good call on not getting the new Ramtundraradoirracoma

60% of the time it works every time....

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
The 5th gen night package and rebel look good they just don’t look like a muscle truck like the 4th gen does. I wish ram would have kept more of a muscle look to the 5th gen and not removed the plus grill. I think ram will do a refresh to clean it up- to me the 5th gens have an unfinished look to them, linebacker in ballerina shoes look lol

Every time my wife sees a new Chevy she points it out and yells that is an ugly truck what the hell is that lol all the way to saying those exhaust tips belong on a car and look stupid lol

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
First off, I like (and own) a 4th gen Ram. But what is the attraction to still buy a Ram Classic when the 5th gen has been out a while? Is it Price, Style, Familiarity, lack of specific features on the 5th gen ....other??

Just curious what factors motivated you to buy a Ram Classic instead of a 5th gen?

I looked at new Rams, Ram Classics, and a pre-owned Ram when I bought mine. It's hard to articulate, but there is a simple beauty to the 4th Gen body lines that I have not seen replicated in any other truck. When I went shopping for a truck, I specifically sought out a 4th Gen Ram, despite my cousin telling me "Don't buy one of those Ram trucks..."

I briefly entertained the idea of a GMC Sierra which, properly equipped and trimmed, can be a good lookin' truck, but in my opinion, nothing looks as good as a 4th Gen Ram. Not a fan of the 5th Gen's big plastic-looking front grill, the big 'RAM' logo, the bodylines, etc... In the end, I went with a pre-owned 4th Gen Ram because the 5th Gen doesn't look as good, and a brand-new Classic was too expensive.

That's not to say the truck's construction, power, and equipment doesn't matter, they do... but, for me at least, appearance has always been the number one concern on any vehicle I buy. If I don't like the way it looks, forget it. I don't go any further if I can't get past that first concern.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fully loaded barely used 2019 classic big horn sticker $45,000
One thing about FCA though is that MSRP is a joke, as nobody pays MSRP. Back in 2009 we got our 4th gen as a first year model with basically no haggling for $10K off sticker out the door.

Seems to be a trick just the domestic employ to create artificially high MSRPs that don't reflect actual street prices, I guess to make people feel like they got a super deal and to help used car sales for people comparing to new MSRP, whereas shop a Subaru for example and the best price is usually smack in the middle of MSRP and invoice, they really don't haggle. Different culture.

For example, going to Edmunds and picking a night edition Lonestar Crew Cab it indicates MSRP of $47.4K should have an average street price of $38.7K almost $9K under MSRP and well below the so called "invoice", but a Outback Touring XT MSRP of $41.5K has a average sale price of $39.5K which is below MSRP but above invoice.

On paper, the Ram is the more expensive vehicle by a wide margin, but in reality its cheaper, and that can confuse shoppers not used to that.

I wish we could go back to Saturn/Scion business model where prices are fixed, but set low and the same for everyone to begin with. Make ordering whatever you want way easier.

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish we could go back to Saturn/Scion business model where prices are fixed, but set low and the same for everyone to begin with. Make ordering whatever you want way easier.

First, I agree with you there...
Second, they ALL are too expensive, but that has to do more with the Federal Reserve than FCA/Ford/GM price gouging...

Herb Wheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
3.6L
I just traded my 2015 Ecodiesel for a 2019 Classic!
The interior, seats, controls, etc are identical plus my canopy was a direct swap from one truck to another.
I got a nice truck with 12K miles for 12k cheaper than the newer style. My studded snow tires are same lug pattern too!
My 2015 Ecodiesel was nice but I’m tired of the DCA recalls and not fixed. I have a gas V6 now and love the simplicity of it. I don’t need brute power anymore.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I just traded my 2015 Ecodiesel for a 2019 Classic!
The interior, seats, controls, etc are identical plus my canopy was a direct swap from one truck to another.
I got a nice truck with 12K miles for 12k cheaper than the newer style. My studded snow tires are same lug pattern too!
My 2015 Ecodiesel was nice but I’m tired of the DCA recalls and not fixed. I have a gas V6 now and love the simplicity of it. I don’t need brute power anymore.

I also have a v6. I think they get over looked a lot but they are a nice truck and have plenty of capability for most things.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I also have a v6. I think they get over looked a lot but they are a nice truck and have plenty of capability for most things.

I had a 2016 quad cab slt V6 and it was sufficient and felt capable enough for my needs. Plus I did enjoy the grunt noise that motor made. Actually has a nice sound in the cabin.

We had a second child and decided crew can was best. I ended up with a hemi and couldn’t be happier. The fuel mileage is almost the same. In the city it worse by a bit but on highway it’s better I think. I have a hilly drive to work driving 50 mph and the hemi does help as it’s not working as hard

60% of the time it works every time....

Six8888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the styling better and I got a deal on a 2019 Classic Big Horn I couldn’t pass up. I would like to know if there are any differences in the 2018 to the 2019 Classic

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the styling better and I got a deal on a 2019 Classic Big Horn I couldn’t pass up. I would like to know if there are any differences in the 2018 to the 2019 Classic
None that you would notice. In the 2019 classic the upgraded dash and 8.4 stereo are now available in the Express trim where before you had to get at least a Big Horn to get them. You already have a Big Horn.

W4RL0CK

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking at 2019 Rebels and even Wranglers but once I saw the Warlock it was game over! The name alone sold me on it.:cool:

Six8888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
None that you would notice. In the 2019 classic the upgraded dash and 8.4 stereo are now available in the Express trim where before you had to get at least a Big Horn to get them. You already have a Big Horn.
Thanks for the reply. This is my first Dodge/Ram product I’ve ever owned. Decided to get one after renting one and liked it a lot.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
My opinion... FCA kept it around to sell trucks.

New looks are polarizing and you either love it or you don’t. Look at the new GM and Ford offerings. The GM looks ridiculous and the Ford’s are meh at best. Had they kept the previous body lines available as a 2019 or 2020 model I would have shopped them. They didn’t so here I am.

I shopped the Ram classic’s but our future plans for travel and camping pushed me out of the 1500 realm and into a 2500 which wasn’t available new as a classic a few months ago.

TRUE GRIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Turbo Diesel
I was getting out of a 2017 Nissan Titan XD Regular Cab w/ Cummins, which they are not building anymore. It was time to broom it. Bought a 2019 Classic Crew Cab Diesel. Listed for $50K got it for $31k before my sales tax of only 2.9 percent up here in God's country the mountains of Colorado. Extremely happy on the fuel economy on the back from picking it up I got 29 miles to the gallon. And I didn't baby it either. Dealer even drove it to Northern Texas for me and I drove it back going thru many mountains passes and towns. So far very happy with the purchase. I'm a GM family member and could even touch something close in the GM family for more than 8 grand or more.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5th gen night package and rebel look good they just don’t look like a muscle truck like the 4th gen does. I wish ram would have kept more of a muscle look to the 5th gen and not removed the plus grill. I think ram will do a refresh to clean it up- to me the 5th gens have an unfinished look to them, linebacker in ballerina shoes look lol

Every time my wife sees a new Chevy she points it out and yells that is an ugly truck what the hell is that lol all the way to saying those exhaust tips belong on a car and look stupid lol

They chevy's worst part IMO is the mirrors down on the door rather than up on the pillar. Looks horrible

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I would not own any other truck but a Ram. This is my 3rd Ram and first Hemi. I prefer the Classic's look over the new design, nothing against the new design but I believe the Classic has a distinctive look that cant be copied. I wanted 3 things, the Hemi, the 8 speed, and the long truck bed. Got all 3 of those in the Classic and the price was very reasonable compared to what people are paying for trucks these days. Not to mention, I wanted as few bells and whistles as possible so I was able to get the Tradesman. The Classic design gave me exactly what I wanted, cant ask for more than that. GO RAM!!!!!!!