Why can't I find...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vinny Canalie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A Laramie 2500 with a 6.4L V8?

I'm in the market for 2020 or 2021 Laramie. I prefer the 2500 over the 3500 because I desire the nicer Daily Driver ride, but I also want to have 2700 - 3000 payload capability without going over GVWR when pulling a 5th Wheel. So I need a gasser. I'll only be towing 3 or 4 times a year.

The Cummins lowers the payload to around 22 or 2300, and I don't want to go over GVWR

But man, there are no dealership with a 2500 V8. Why not guys?

Also if I were to special order this, how long do you think I'd have to wait? Ram told me 8 to 10 weeks but delays can be significant from Covid. They refused to tell me what that meant. 2 more weeks, or many months?

Any other thoughts? Am i over worrying about the 3500 empty ride quality?

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck ordering anything right now. I read where a dealer told a consumer that due to the chip shortage they were running out of supply to build anything. Best of luck.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The chip shortage is taking a big bite out of new vehicles. Couple that with the dealerships selling vehicles faster than they can make them (prior to chip shortage) it is almost impossible to find a specific truck. Last Dec./Jan. I had a dealer in Idaho and one in Colorado looking for a 2500, 6.4, 4.10 CC, 8' bed with 50 gallon tank. They spent a few days, claimed they searched within a 1000 mile radius of my town, and found nothing. I ended up placing an order Jan. 6th and was lucky to get it in before the shortage. 9 weeks delivery time. Good luck.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
20210314_130201.jpg A 6.4 Laramie is practically a unicorn. In my area, good luck finding 4.10 gears too. When I stumbled across mine, I jumped on it! No longer bothers me that it's a Bighorn, she's very comfortable, and tows well!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Any other thoughts? Am i over worrying about the 3500 empty ride quality?

I have a dually and the ride quality isn't 1500 ride comfort, but it isn't that bad either. If you hit the occasional hard bump/rough road you'll notice it, but it isn't terrible.

rjpoog1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ordered my 2500 gas 4 weeks ago. It’s still not built or scheduled to be built. At this point I’m not sure it will be. Sounds like the factory can’t get parts to continue building them.

OP
OP
V

Vinny Canalie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a dually and the ride quality isn't 1500 ride comfort, but it isn't that bad either. If you hit the occasional hard bump/rough road you'll notice it, but it isn't terrible.
That's actually really good to hear. Do you imagine the single rear 3500s ride similar to the dually?

OP
OP
V

Vinny Canalie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
quick search on cars.com shows 2300 hemi 2500 across the nation. 49 are laramie or limited
Yes, I should have checked this Lol. I guess it's my area. Thank you for spoon feeding me, I'm going to look at this.

OP
OP
V

Vinny Canalie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered my 2500 gas 4 weeks ago. It’s still not built or scheduled to be built. At this point I’m not sure it will be. Sounds like the factory can’t get parts to continue building them.
So sorry man. Dang that's very frustrating. You've just saved me from even attempting it though, so thank you.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I would assume so. I love the way my truck is. For a 1 ton truck, it isn't a bad ride at all. If you put any type of weight in the back it rides better/smoother.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The just-in-time parts system really paid off with a global disruption, didn't it? Now nobody can get anything. Good thing all the executives got wealthy.

I'm one of the fortunate few having bought off the lot in 2017 - I used CarGurus.com to keep a running search going. It took me about a year to find one - before the pandemic.

Best wishes.

rjpoog1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So sorry man. Dang that's very frustrating. You've just saved me from even attempting it though, so thank you.
It’s kind of a shame. I do have a perfectly good truck though, so if I can’t get a new Ram exactly how I want it; then I’ll just wait until I can. The only thing that sucks is the dealer was giving me almost what I paid for my truck as trade. I’ve had it 5 years so it would’ve worked out nicely.

RCJeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L V8
It all comes down to how bad do you want it, how soon do you want it? I ordered 12/29/2020, pandemic, but not yet a computer chip shortage. I have yet to receive my truck, but have been told it is in shipping (and built with all the computer related things I wanted), expected delivery between 3/31 - 4/22. I don't have much faith in that because it is always changing... on a train... At any rate, I guess if you're in a hurry for a new truck, maybe consider a different brand...Ford, Chevy.. It is what it is. Not so much this thread, but so many others on different forums are like spoiled Americans wondering why they can't get the truck they want in a week. Patience is a lost art in the times of modern technology. :)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The chip makers were supposed to step up production by mid month, that is now & it is not going to happen for many more months

The thing that i see, is that Intel is not the maker of microprocessors for automobiles, so for them to add space to their current plants in Arizona or Texas, will not directly affect automotive shortage.

The microprocessors for automotive use come mostly from China, Taiwan, etc.

The fire at the Japanese microchip plant was just another straw in a pile of straws
Another straw was the Covid pandemic, people were told to stay home & work from there, well those people needed good computers & top line cell phones.
Kids had to stay home & they wanted the best gaming machines

Auto companies figured that people being under a Stay At Home Order would not be buying new vehicles & did not order any electronic parts

Then there was political influences, our last Leader irritated China
Our current leader is doing some things to further irritate China
Speaking in December the new U.S. President declared that dealing with China required "leverage," adding: "In my view, we don't have it yet." Semiconductors remain one of the greatest advantages Biden has over China's President Xi Jinping. And in a new Cold War, you fight with the weapons you have to hand

Power Hounder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know my order went in on Mon of this week they are saying 10 to 12 weeks. I think it will be at least 12.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
It all comes down to how bad do you want it, how soon do you want it? I ordered 12/29/2020, pandemic, but not yet a computer chip shortage. I have yet to receive my truck, but have been told it is in shipping (and built with all the computer related things I wanted), expected delivery between 3/31 - 4/22. I don't have much faith in that because it is always changing... on a train... At any rate, I guess if you're in a hurry for a new truck, maybe consider a different brand...Ford, Chevy.. It is what it is. Not so much this thread, but so many others on different forums are like spoiled Americans wondering why they can't get the truck they want in a week. Patience is a lost art in the times of modern technology. :)

I'm in the market for a 3/4 ton. And right now, from all 3 brands, the majority of trucks on the market are base trim. XL, Tradesman, base Sierra. And gassers are even more scarce. One local dealer has 49 2500/3500 trucks on the lot. All of them are diesel and only 2 are not Tradesman.

It sucks to buy right now. It's also effecting the used market. I found a used 2020 F250 XLT Tremor, nicely optioned, with 7000 miles on it selling for $500 less than MSRP. Dealer won't budge either. And it'll sell.