Why don't we ever discuss air filters?

Do you like factory air box?

• Yes, factory air is good enough for me.

Votes: 68 64.2%
  • No, I really like CAI's or other minor upgrades to air.

Votes: 39 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is why. Good find by Corey (h395).

I am still on my factory air filter and I live on a gravel road, 8+ years later, and yes I check it every year. I'm likely gonna replace it soon just cause, but I have never been on board with all of these filter upgrades because the oem is so good. I'm not knocking those products, I'm just saying I aint fixing what aint broke, and I like the factory air box. discuss?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
OEM for me.

I was going to try “Green” but after Cory’s find im going to look for an AC Delco for my 6.4. If i cant find that it will be OEM as i always have.

I got a WIX one time and was not impressed with the construction compared OEM.

GOOD FIND @Hemi395 !!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I run the factory airbox and an AEM Dryflow filter. No warranty voiding changes and ye old butt-dyno says it's peppier that it was with the factory filter.

I considered an aftermarket system like the Varam(sp?) that frees up the airbox area for a 2nd battery, but they have so many issues I decided against it.

-K

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Interesting read. Personally, I use 2 different k&n drop ins so I have one ready to go and can clean the dirty one whenever. Also have my brand new factory filter to fall back on for whatever reason. At some point I'll be getting a CAI with a filter wrap. I'm not sure if the wraps have any benefits other than keeping the filter from getting dirty as fast.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I had the K&N on my old 2013 and thought it was a good air filter. Never had any issues with it. Some refer to it as a hot air intake; I monitored the air with my tuner while sitting in traffic and the temps only went up 2-3 degrees. Once moving in went back to ambient air temperature.

My new 2018 will only see the OEM air filter; after reading that I’m happy with stock.
On the Z years ago I read a thread where a guy was running the stock setup and stock air filter and was putting 500hp to the pavement. The stock system flows just fine.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Air filtration is EXTREMELY important to engine longevity. The engineers at FCA, GM, Ferd, etc have designed the air intakes on their vehicles to flow as well as possible while maintaining proper filtration. Fine dust in an engine over time is bad news.

I have the ACDelco equivalent air filter for the 5.7 trucks coming and should be here early next week. I will post some pics and my thoughts on it when I get it. If its a good filter, I'd say run it because its about $10 cheaper than the Mopar filter.

Another thing I'm going to add here, I've 2 different CAIs for this truck, the S&B and the Vararam Air Grabber, and the only one I felt any difference on was the Air Grabber. But after seeing that test that @Burla put in the OP, my stock intake is back on my truck. With one exception: the lower airbox of an Ecodiesel. It takes the same filter as the stock 5.7 air box but the inlet tube is about 50% bigger. Cost me about $60 and its OEM parts. I verified with my Trinity that it flows virtually the same as a Vararam albeit slightly worse. Also it doesn't look as cool.

Last edited:

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought mine it comes already with an Airaid CAI. Don't have any problem with it but in case I have the stock airbox too, just have to clean cobwebs and bolt it back.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I run a lot of dusty roads and go through 1 or 2 air filters a year as a result. I just buy the mopar ones and run stock. Some of the aftermarket ones make me nervous during the snowy season and rainy system. I think moisture could get into them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
the lower airbox of an Ecodiesel. It takes the same filter as the stock 5.7 air box but the inlet tube is about 50% bigger.
Through testing by GDE the OEM filter for the EcoDiesel can outflow whatever the turbo can cram into engine.
With any aftermarket highflow airfilter lowering the intake resistance measured in the hundredths of an in/wc, it's not going to produce any noticable gains on an engine that force induced in the 10-20 psi range. If you want a CIA on and EcoD it's for looks and the sound.

Wonder how the EcoD air filter would work in the Hemi? It has some fairly tall pleats, could work instead of putting a Cheby part in a Mopar :-O There were some Amazon reviews saying it works for the 6.4 Hemi??

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Through testing by GDE the OEM filter for the EcoDiesel can outflow whatever the turbo can cram into engine.
With any aftermarket highflow airfilter lowering the intake resistance measured in the hundredths of an in/wc, it's not going to produce any noticable gains on an engine that force induced in the 10-20 psi range. If you want a CIA on and EcoD it's for looks and the sound.

Wonder how the EcoD air filter would work in the Hemi? It has some fairly tall pleats, could work instead of putting a Cheby part in a Mopar :-O There were some Amazon reviews saying it works for the 6.4 Hemi??
So the AC delco that Cory just orders DOES fit the 6.4..!!!!

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don’t give away all your secrets yet Cory. Save that stuff for a dedicated thread for your awesome find.

yeah he needs to post that in dyi section.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Do you have a link for this test GDE did?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Amazonians have like 5 or 6 filters for the hemi between 10 and 15 bucks as well. Wix is 5 dollars more, but lots of good names in the lower price point.

Reactions: SyN

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel