why is my 92 318 not starting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L v8 magnum
awhile ago i was driving and my truck just acted like it ran out of gas but once I got it towed how it had gas but just wasn't starting its getting spark and the fuel pump is priming, and the truck turns over perfectly but it just won't start. I have sprayed starting fluid in the intake and it'll fire start up for like half a second then die. I just Can't figure it out. Does anybody have any ideas?

scout2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
359 Cummins
Its always difficult to troubleshoot over the Internet, especially without some nice, high quality pics to see what is going on, but in the end, for a gasoline powered vehicle, its all about air, fuel and spark.

If you are certain you are getting spark from your spark plugs, and you can physically see fuel being expelled from the carb, then the next thing to examine is air.

How have you examined that aspect? Does the filter look OK? have you attempted to start with the air cleaner off? Any difference there?

Any additional and relevant details you can provide, along with quality, detailed pics can only assist others here to help assist you.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it runs when you spray starting fluid at it you have a fuel delivery problem.

OP
OP
C

Caleb D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L v8 magnum
Its always difficult to troubleshoot over the Internet, especially without some nice, high quality pics to see what is going on, but in the end, for a gasoline powered vehicle, its all about air, fuel and spark.

If you are certain you are getting spark from your spark plugs, and you can physically see fuel being expelled from the carb, then the next thing to examine is air.

How have you examined that aspect? Does the filter look OK? have you attempted to start with the air cleaner off? Any difference there?

Any additional and relevant details you can provide, along with quality, detailed pics can only assist others here to help assist you.
i can get pictures and stuff later the air cleaner isn't on at all and this year has fuel injection, ive read some stuff about how a bad crank sensor can cause similar problems but im not sure

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Caleb D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L v8 magnum
If it runs when you spray starting fluid at it you have a fuel delivery problem.
that would make sense it didn't start acting funny until I ran it out of gas one time so I could have messed something up but the fuel pump primes and when I prime it a few times the truck does try and fire so I feel it might be something else as well

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe the strainer/filter on the fuel pickup in the tank .

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
1992 IIRC still has an external fuel filter. I'd start there. Then put a fuel pressure gauge at the engine fuel rail and see what the pressure gets up to when you turn the key on (prime it). Post your results.