Why is Ram offering a 4x2 Rebel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamOwner313

Reaction score
Greetings everyone looking at building my own Rebel and was wondering why does Ram offer a 4x2 Rebel? Isn't the whole point of the Rebel to do off roading? I will plan on taking this into the mountains with me so I was wondering why that is in an option. Thanks.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They make 2wd Jeeps…
Some folks just like to “show”

Need more RCSB R/T Rams 2WD. Purpose built!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My guess is because a large amount of people by them for the looks. I have a friend that has a 4wd Rebel. Never off roads, doesnt plan to and I am almost positive he hasnt put it in 4wd yet.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Toyota used to sell the Pre-runner trim, most or all (depending on year) of the 4x4 goodies but as a 2WD. Increased ride height for looks and for visibility appeal to many, without the weight or cost of a 4x4 system they never use. A locking rear and 2WD would do for most of the use 4WD sees in non-snow states.

But the simplest answer is because they sell. If they didn't they would drop them.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Greetings everyone looking at building my own Rebel and was wondering why does Ram offer a 4x2 Rebel? Isn't the whole point of the Rebel to do off roading? I will plan on taking this into the mountains with me so I was wondering why that is in an option. Thanks.
Because flat, smooth chested, Girls like trucks too.

70runner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
Don't have to guess, can tell you why I ordered a 2021 Rebel 4x2. #1: increased ride height. Long, uphill gravel driveway with ruts and such, doesn't require 4x4, does require clearance/visibility. #2: looks, Rebel grille design is my favorite. #3: save $3K, better MPG, better towing capacity (vs 4x4). Got nuthin against 4x4s - had to have one during my towing around a 30ft boat days - just don't need one anymore, but love the Rebel.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Don't have to guess, can tell you why I ordered a 2021 Rebel 2x4. #1: increased ride height. Long, uphill gravel driveway with ruts and such, doesn't require 4x4, does require clearance/visibility. #2: looks, Rebel grille design is my favorite. #3: save $3K, better MPG, better towing capacity (vs 4x4). Got nuthin against 4x4s - had to have one during my towing around a 30ft boat days - just don't need one anymore, but love the Rebel.
4x4 or 4X2 !
Please, 2x4 was embarrassing to read.
Not Lumber, though my 4X4 has been known to give me, Wood.... every Fall, right before it gets Cold.

70runner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
4x4 or 4X2 !
Please, 2x4 was embarrassing to read.
Not Lumber, though my 4X4 has been known to give me, Wood.... every Fall, right before it gets Cold.
Had just finished a trip to Home Depot, had 2x4 "wood" on my mind...

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As other's have said, a lot of people buying the Rebel don't need 4x$, but they like the look. As someone with a Rebel, (bought with ~260 miles from the stealership, either about to, or just, broke 78k after ~5.5 years), My rebel has been in 4x4 mode ~4 times. Once when I got stuck helping a buddy clear his garage (Detached off the back yard, and it had just rained), once leaving an AirBNB in the mountains, misjudged the curve of the driveway, so got the Hemi/cab over the bend, and the ass was basically floating, once during some testing, as a buddy couldn't believe they would sell a 4x4 with only Low and Lock, and I think I got stuck one more time. So total 4x4 time in like 1700 engine hours might be 1 hour (had to go down the mountain the AirBNB was on in 4x, as other people were trying to leave too, and it was a one lane, so I couldn't stop to put it back in 2x mode until I could pull off somewhere.

Almost used it once or twice when the weather was meh, but the '18 rebel for some insane reason doesn't have 4HI/4Auto, so couldn't do highway speeds in 4x, and didn't "need" 4x mode.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It sells and not everyone wants/needs a 4x4. It's great to have options ;-)

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As other's have said, a lot of people buying the Rebel don't need 4x$, but they like the look. As someone with a Rebel, (bought with ~260 miles from the stealership, either about to, or just, broke 78k after ~5.5 years), My rebel has been in 4x4 mode ~4 times. Once when I got stuck helping a buddy clear his garage (Detached off the back yard, and it had just rained), once leaving an AirBNB in the mountains, misjudged the curve of the driveway, so got the Hemi/cab over the bend, and the ass was basically floating, once during some testing, as a buddy couldn't believe they would sell a 4x4 with only Low and Lock, and I think I got stuck one more time. So total 4x4 time in like 1700 engine hours might be 1 hour (had to go down the mountain the AirBNB was on in 4x, as other people were trying to leave too, and it was a one lane, so I couldn't stop to put it back in 2x mode until I could pull off somewhere.

Almost used it once or twice when the weather was meh, but the '18 rebel for some insane reason doesn't have 4HI/4Auto, so couldn't do highway speeds in 4x, and didn't "need" 4x mode.
You can put it in 4wd or 2wd at high speed, it dosnt matter. And you dont need 4auto for the highway…i have my power wagon in 4wd a lot during winter months and have regularly been 60+ mph while in it.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can put it in 4wd or 2wd at high speed, it dosnt matter. And you dont need 4auto for the highway…i have my power wagon in 4wd a lot during winter months and have regularly been 60+ mph while in it.
Manual specifically states to not exceed 40MPH in 4Low. I don't have an auto/high. Just lock/low, and 2x.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You dont have 4hi? Ummmm….

Pretty much all the Rams have 4wd Lock on the knob indicator instead of the old 4hi. Samey-same, just different terminology.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much all the Rams have 4wd Lock on the knob indicator instead of the old 4hi. Samey-same, just different terminology.
No, I have a car buddy (used to be a service tech/writer until he got through college), and he thought the same. The truck did not like turning in "4Lock" in the parking lot. Like sub 10 MPH, and it felt like it was a locked dif. And I wasn't trying to turn on a dime, just some normal turns.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exactly. Thats why im questioning why he says he dosnt have 4hi.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, I have a car buddy (used to be a service tech/writer until he got through college), and he thought the same. The truck did not like turning in "4Lock" in the parking lot. Like sub 10 MPH, and it felt like it was a locked dif. And I wasn't trying to turn on a dime, just some normal turns.
I have driven for a solid day in 4 lock with my half ton on dry pavement, full speed (60-70 mph at times) because i completely forgot i stuck it in 4 to get out of a snowy driveway. The 4wd system on my ‘17 half ton is basically unnoticeable….at least compared to my power wagon.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

It's not a locked diff, it's just 4hi. Of course it doesn't like to turn, the rear tires are taking a different path so the distance is different but the rear is "locked" to the front so you get that skipping occurring. The locking rear axle is not automatically on with 4lock, if you have one it's a different button engagement, and you don't have a locking front.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334