Why is that steering wheel so hot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noir Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn with heated seats and steering wheel. It was chilly this morning so I turned on the heater seats and steering wheel. After awhile I had to turn off the heated steering wheel, it started to become uncomfortable it was do hot. Anyone elses steering wheel hot as heck? I don't see an option to lower the heat, like I have with my seats.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's strange. I see people posting that the steering wheel gets to hot but I wish mine would get a couple of degrees hotter. It's ok but it's just not quite enough.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It really seems to depend on the steering wheel. My original Laramie steering wheel didn't seem to get quite warm enough last winter. I never turned it off on my commute to work. I swapped in a Longhorn wheel during the summer. I just started using the wheel heater, and so far it gets a little too warm for my liking to just leave it on, and have to shut it off about a quarter of the way to work. I still like having it, it's just different than my original wheel was. Would be nice if there was a way to adjust the heat.

Jim M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Mine is too hot to leave on, but I love that it and the seat heat come on automatically when I remote start the truck, but only when it's cold out. Wish the passenger seat could be set to come on like that (to make the wife happy).

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my PW leather steering wheel gets hot enough to make grilled cheese sandwiches on....kind of messy tho so I don't. I wish it had lower settings like the seats. Not sure if it will have long term negative effects on the leather or not but sure seems like it could.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The leather area of mine gets hot but the wood never does. The heat isn't transmitted as fast through the wood.
That's pretty much what I've found too, although the "wood" section does eventually warm up nicely. But I don't keep my hands there the whole drive, so by the time that happens the leather section has already become uncomfortably hot.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is too hot to leave on, but I love that it and the seat heat come on automatically when I remote start the truck, but only when it's cold out. Wish the passenger seat could be set to come on like that (to make the wife happy).

Now, that would be a DIY project worth reading. I don't need it now since I'm back in Hawaii, but if we could figure out a way to also kick on the passenger seat with remote start (during cold months) I would be very interested in doing that as well. But, I'd also like to be able to have the seats cooling option also come on during the hot months (most of mine).

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Now, that would be a DIY project worth reading. I don't need it now since I'm back in Hawaii, but if we could figure out a way to also kick on the passenger seat with remote start (during cold months) I would be very interested in doing that as well. But, I'd also like to be able to have the seats cooling option also come on during the hot months (most of mine).
My ventilated seats come on whenever I remote start my truck and the ambient temperature is over 80 degrees. If yours isn't doing that, you either have it disabled or it's not working right.

Wes Veness

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 SLT Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It does you have to go into the heat settings to set it to do that.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ventilated seats come on whenever I remote start my truck and the ambient temperature is over 80 degrees. If yours isn't doing that, you either have it disabled or it's not working right.
I don't think anything is wrong; my passenger seat heater doesn't come on with remote start either.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't think anything is wrong; my passenger seat heater doesn't come on with remote start either.
That's by design. Only the driver seat is turned on when the ambient temp is below 40 degrees. But I was referring to the ventilated seat. It's supposed to behave like I described if it's enabled in uconnect. I don't know if you can enable/disable heated seat separate from ventilated seat when remote started.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Pretty sure it’s a trim level thing. Laramie and up, passenger seat works the same as the driver seat. Big Horn/Lonestar, driver seat only comes on with remote start. Not sure about PW, Warlock and DT body style trucks.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Pretty sure it’s a trim level thing. Laramie and up, passenger seat works the same as the driver seat. Big Horn/Lonestar, driver seat only comes on with remote start. Not sure about PW, Warlock and DT body style trucks.
It's not a trim level thing. Only the driver seat heater/ventilation comes on when you remote start. Passenger seat needs to be manually turned on.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To all those who’ve sad something about their wheel getting too hot- just turn it off! Problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
It's not a trim level thing. Only the driver seat heater/ventilation comes on when you remote start. Passenger seat needs to be manually turned on.
Thank you for clarifying.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The drivers side comes on with heat and ventilation with regard to ambient temperatures but the passenger side I'm almost certain does not for either one. I'll check tomorrow though for ventilation, but won't be able to check the heat at all over here.

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The steering wheel got too hot for me on '17 Laramie. I just bought a new 2020 Laramie and it also gets way too hot. I was hoping Ram would have installed a low and high switch setting in the Gen 5 trucks for the wheel but they didn't.

Amerinamese

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
I had my steering wheel heater on today and noticed the two bottom quadrants were much hotter than the top quadrants. I'm guessing the heating elements are closer to the bottom than the top, but I may be wrong. The wheel did get super hot, but I just turn it off when that happens.