Why is that steering wheel so hot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
105698.jpg I have to turn off the Heated Steering Wheel as well on our 2019 5th Gen Ram 1500 Big Horn. It can melt your fingers, where as the seats I feel don't get hot enough.

Last edited:

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this may sound obvious, but I've seen it done. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT put a steering wheel cover on any heated steering wheel. I promise it WILL cause it to over heat and short out, costing the owner a small fortune to get repaired.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this may sound obvious, but I've seen it done. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT put a steering wheel cover on any heated steering wheel. I promise it WILL cause it to over heat and short out, costing the owner a small fortune to get repaired.

Because I have the Limited premium leather and wood grain steering wheel, I’ve never ever thought of putting a decorative wheel cover on mine but this is certainly good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mikeru,
The Ice Blocker is like I tried to use in SW Oklahoma. The ice at times would be so thick like 1/2 to an inch that the "blocker was underneath the ice so I had to chisel the ice off to get to the "blocker".

Talking about our fathers and grandfathers calling us wimps. Well I am 71. First off I enjoy the warm seats and steering wheels, just wish the steering wheel heat would come on at 50 degrees.

I remember living in Germany in the 60's. I had a VW Beetle about a 1960 model with non forced warm air from the air cooled engine "finding" its way through some piping to the front seat, sometimes and then only at a top speed of 65 mph. I always carried an ice scraper for the inside of the windshield. One hand on the wheel the other on the scraper. What an experience. But I was a college kid and having fun, wouldn't trade it for anything. Now I am an old wimp.
Haha...I can sympathize with that. I drove a 75 Vega in the early 90's, and the heater core was almost completely plugged up. There was no heat at all, and I had to scrape the inside of the windows several times on my 25 minute commute each day.

I can understand not wanting to use something like the ice blocker if you get freezing rain. We don't really get that here. I haven't had an issue with the ice blocker in the three years I've been using them.

I'm a bit younger than you are, but I'm squarely in the wimp column these days. And I agree that it would be nice if the steering wheel heat would come on at a higher temp. Or even better, if we could set that temp.

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Now, that would be a DIY project worth reading. I don't need it now since I'm back in Hawaii, but if we could figure out a way to also kick on the passenger seat with remote start (during cold months) I would be very interested in doing that as well. But, I'd also like to be able to have the seats cooling option also come on during the hot months (most of mine).
The seat cooling does come on above a certain inside temp but it only comes on to the low setting. I can't figure out why they didnt make the high, med and low a user adjust setting.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The seat cooling does come on above a certain inside temp but it only comes on to the low setting. I can't figure out why they didnt make the high, med and low a user adjust setting.

So, I know that the driver's side does, but the passenger side does not. I guess I could have been more specific but meant to imply having the passenger side also come on in either hot or cold conditions. My wife has asked me before why her side does not also come on and I smugly comment that "Chuck" (my truck) is primarily concerned with his driver; not so much with the passenger. Of course, it's not cute at all to her.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When I first get into my truck after remote starting it in the summer, the seat ventilation is on at the highest setting. It drops down to the lowest setting once I push the start button, but until I do that it's on high.

RAM432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI VVT
Just got my 2021 Ram 1500 earlier this week and is the first vehicle I've owned with a heated steering wheel. I wasn't 5 minutes into my drive and exclaimed to my wife that the wheel was super hot, and had to turn it off. :D

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn with heated seats and steering wheel. It was chilly this morning so I turned on the heater seats and steering wheel. After awhile I had to turn off the heated steering wheel, it started to become uncomfortable it was do hot. Anyone elses steering wheel hot as heck? I don't see an option to lower the heat, like I have with my seats.

Mine is pretty "normal" so to speak. but I have not had it on for an extended time yet, maybe 1 hour.

I wish my Camaro Convertible had that problem, I love having the top down when it is "cold". Mine is warm but warmer would be better :)

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you guys complaining need to toughen up your hands LOL. I've had 3 fourth gen and now a 5th generation Ram with heated steering wheels and none were toohot!
I'm trying to find the right thread for "it gets hot, and right as it get's 'right', the damn thing stops heating, but is still 'on'".

'18 Rebel. BTW, Rebel also is driver/wheel only for the heat if cold. I don't mind, as 98% of my driving is with an empty passenger seat. Wife takes the kid to day care, I get him on the way home, so we only drive together for family stuff, which is often her Rav4, for gas (and I'm navigationally challenged, as I travel the country for work...)

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My original wheel and my replacement both were too hot to handle after being on for a while. I just turn it off when my hands get warm. The wood section is the last to get hot and the entire wheel is the same temp. HOT!