Why is there a Classic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I bought my Classics because they LOOK so good you KNOW it is a RAM. 5th Gen look like Toyotas. If I had wanted a Tundra wanna be I would have bought a 5th gen "RAM" . Plus I can get all kinds of things I wanted for my Classic you could NOT get for a 5th Gen back in 19. The 5th gen are just PLAIN UGLY for the MOST part. Maybe I will like them in another 20 yrs after I am near death but I doubt it.

MikeZulu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my case it was mainly due to price (note that this is my first ever truck). I wanted something that does well off-road. TRX is out of the question, so I was left with the 2021 Rebel, or 2021 Classic Warlock. The price difference was approximately $16k, just didn't feel it was worth it to be honest. Apparently the Warlock handles itself well off-road so I went for it.

As for looks, while I like the rear of the 5th gen, I much prefer the 4th gen grille and front in general. It still stands out imo.

Didn't do any extreme testing yet, but I did encounter some soft dunes and it handled amazingly (compared to my old Wrangler). Was not expecting that to be the case at all!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought my Classics because they LOOK so good you KNOW it is a RAM. 5th Gen look like Toyotas. If I had wanted a Tundra wanna be I would have bought a 5th gen "RAM" . Plus I can get all kinds of things I wanted for my Classic you could NOT get for a 5th Gen back in 19. The 5th gen are just PLAIN UGLY for the MOST part. Maybe I will like them in another 20 yrs after I am near death but I doubt it.
You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I'm not seeing the resemblance to a Tundra of any generation. I agree that 4th gens look great. I'd proudly still own one if the 5th gens hadn't come out. 5th gens have their own look. What about them do you think resembles a Tundra?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
1667854148267.png
1667854203680.png
I suppose there is a resemblance, especially between the headlights and bumper, but I don't think I would ever confuse them driving down the road.

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wanted another 4th gen when mine got totaled but they all had insane mileage, and the classic I found with extremely low miles had a lot of dings and scratches that I couldn't get past for the money they were asking.. so I bought my 19 5th gen.. I like the truck don't get me wrong, but I feel the 4th gen is just a more manly truck.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I'm not seeing the resemblance to a Tundra of any generation. I agree that 4th gens look great. I'd proudly still own one if the 5th gens hadn't come out. 5th gens have their own look. What about them do you think resembles a Tundra?
Oh I see the resemblance .... it's what I told my pops when he got his 5th gen Ram and he was like, "I told your mom it looks like the Tundras" lol ....

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
View attachment 506318
View attachment 506319
I suppose there is a resemblance, especially between the headlights and bumper, but I don't think I would ever confuse them driving down the road.
Maybe you're seeing it, but other than the fact that they both have a grille, two headlights, and a bumper I'm not seeing it. Totally different lines and shapes to those components.

BobCinEHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.4
That's a good observation. I agree. They've kind of been doing that the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue RC trucks, then introduce 5th gen regular cab's one of these days. A lot of businesses use RC's as delivery and day-runners. I like the looks of the 5th gens. They both look good to me.

Someone at Chrysler who shepherded the idea through all the corporate waters, to produce both generations side-by-side, should get a healthy bonus for making it happen. I can guarantee that concept met a lot of headwinds. It's helping Ram gain a lot of marketshare. The only other time I've seen old and new models produced concurrently for many years was when Jeep kept producing the old-school XJ Cherokee after the ZJ Grand Cherokee was introduced in '93. They produced the XJ till 01. But the new Grand Cherokee (ZJ) was a more 'plush' and upscale vehicle, while the XJ (regular Cherokee) was more spartan and basic. So they didn't *quite* directly compete against each other like the Ram 4th and 5th gens.
Ford also made the "Heritage" F150 in 2004.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a 19 dt.my 4th gen had less wind noise,colder ac,and got 1mpg better mileage with the same drive train so I traded it for a 20 classic.other than the rear floor space it's the 4th gen for me.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
the 5th gen black sport looks good with its front curves and led lights but I find the beltline is too high and it in general doesn't stand out of the crowd of new chin high pickups
and i dont like the badge integrated into the hood! who does that?

the 4gs have all the right curves in all the right places! haha
it will forever be considered the iconic "RAM" of our times.

heres my warlock
20221105_141421.jpg20221105_141241.jpg

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I bought my Classic because
1) the Gen 5 isn’t proven long term like the Gen 4’s
2) all the accessories (floor mats, seat covers, running boards, rims, bug guard, tool boxes, etc.) from my 2014 fit the the Classic.
3) used parts are plentiful and easy to find for the Classic

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Classic is just that, a Classic. It’s not homogenized to look like all the others. It stands out in a crowd.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Agree "markup" is NOT the same as Consumer "COST"! There is x amount of dollars spent to build the basic "platform"! If the consumer does not order lots of "packages" & "options". the basic cost to build is still there. They can get more for the vehicles with more "STUFF" than the plain jane. The one with all the packages has of course MORE PROFIT in it as more "STUFF" was purchased!!!! So -making up numbers- A base truck like a Tradesman with $3,000 of added stuff, Will probably have a higher -margin of profit than a Rebel with $3,000 dollars of added stuff. Because to make it a Rebel. 2022 Tradesman start at $38,000 2022 Rebel Start at $52000. They will make a LOT more profit on the rebel, BUT the margin (percentage) of that price will be LESS. Total profit in Dollars much higher than the margin percentage. Just words people use to say what people want to hear, accuracy not the same.
I've always been a "MOPAR" guy, even though that name no longer applies to the product _ BUT IT IS WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR!!! I got my Gen 4 because I want a TRUCK!!!! Not an SUV with the roof missing. I wanted it to do TRUCK STUFF. Which you can NOT do with a 4 foot box!!!! There is just the Wife and I So a reg. cab long box was not offered?? - if it was I have never seen one. I wanted a large ENGINE - as a motor is something electric. Mine gets out of it's own way - and many other brands also, Just need RWD as I grew up learning how to even PLOW with one. My dads 68 Camper Special, had a 383 & a 4 spd manual - reg cab , long box, even a one leg RWD. Pulled even a few of the $WD people out of ditches and snow banks as the operator were never taught - it might accelerate quicker but steering and stopping are still controlled by 4 tires.
I was actually waiting for the Dakota to come back- but have given up on that.
Everyone like what they like as far as looks go, so to me that was not the main reason to buy. All I wanted was something I did not have to sneak up on to get in it. Love what I got and as I always do to what ever I own, I have started to "FIX" what I did not like about it, by adding "stuff" as I wanted it. That way I was not forced to by some "OPTION PACKAGE" that had the one thing I wanted and 40 others I was stuck with. Hell I even have power windows on this one!!!!! What will they think of next?? OLD SCHOOL - OLD FART got a 66 Satellite ( 689HP 375lbft, 1.42 60ft times 10.30's at 125-129 it's even FM3 Pink) to prove it

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll agree and say the 5th gen 1500 while not a bad looking vehicle is very generic and something looks off about the front, but the 5th gen rebels and HDs look pretty damn good I think.

The 4th gens are iconic and look good but are dated and definately not in style anymore especially if you need to show status in society, so switching to the 5th gen only makes sense

In my opinion the 5th gen ram while not perfect is still better looking than the competition and has modern appeal vs the 4th gen

The new tundras at least are interesting and force you to love it or hate it.

Last edited:

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Every successful model, regardless to manufacture, has a particular series/ generation that arguably is considered the Classic and best liked & known of that model. The iconic years if you will.

For Ram…… history will show it’s the 4th gen. :waytogo:
Agree. My 2014 was purchased before there was a 5th gen but, when those came out, it was obvious (to me, at least) that the 4th gen/classic was a better looking truck. Plus, I have had no problems whatsoever on this truck and it get 4-5 mpg more than my old Ranger. In short, best vehicle I have ever owned.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I think you will find that they will 'decontent' the Classic a bit each year, so that if you want a higher end truck, you will go to the 5th gen, and let the Classic be a value (low price) leader.
That works for me. I like a pickup truck to be a truck.