Why no auto 4 wheel drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

21SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Classic Warlock. I wonder why Ram opted for not having the 4 wheel drive auto in this truck?
Your reasons why I would like to hear.
Thanks
Matt

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is it even 4X4? ... LOL
One caveats of the BW44-44 which is the transfer case that has the "Auto 4X4" mode is the front output is driven by a clutch. Even when you select "4X4 Lock" it doesn't fully lock up unless there's detected wheel slippage and there's clutch slippage.
The BW44-45 transfer case is better if you need to get through mud, sand, snow, etc.

OP
OP
21SilverRam

21SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys! Just curious I figured it had something to do with the strength of the system my last 2 Rams had it. I never had issues done some hard 4 wheeling with them also.

Rnrplayhrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also have a 2019 Warlock without auto 4 wheel drive. The way I understand this is It wasn't offered on the Warlock so I have the 44-45 transfer case right? Also it seems the 44-45 with out auto is a better option.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I also have a 2019 Warlock without auto 4 wheel drive. The way I understand this is It wasn't offered on the Warlock so I have the 44-45 transfer case right? Also it seems the 44-45 with out auto is a better option.
It's without a doubt a much better option. No clutches, no slippage, no overheating. Several have changed out their 44-44s to the 44-45.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As mentioned already, the 44-45 is a better option if you use your truck off-road seriously. But the 44-44 is great for those who stick to the pavement. The wife loves the auto 4wd.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, the 45 will definitely make yer driveline bind (hard) and tires chirp if you don't know what yer doing (and many don't).

But if you're driving in a really bad snow storm with deep snow the 45 provides a noticeable amount of extra stability. But 98% of the time the 44 is as good ...and a lot easier on the driveline.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know guys dream at night of having the 45 system, but 4WD Auto is really the 'best' for 98% of the driving most people do, even off-road. There are rare instances where Locked is better. And those times (if ya have the 44) is mitigated by auto brake modulation to keep ya going. In a truck that has the 4x4 Lock only system ...then yer driveline is binding, even off-road when you're driving on dirt.

And in snow/ice in the winter time, if you have the locked only transfer case, you find yourself on mixed pavement all the time so then you really can't leave it in 4x4. Yer on dry pavement, and then slippery pavement, then dry, then slippery ...then a dry parking lot. If you leave it in 4x4 Locked then you'll forget and it'll bind on ya when you turn to go to a dry parking lot. If ya happen to go into a ditch and you didn't have it engaged, then you lose momentum if you don't have time to switch it on ...whereas if you HAD it in 4x4 Auto, you are already in 4x4 and can try to get out using the momentum you have. Momentum is everything sometimes.

The ideal is to have a combo system like the older jeeps had. Those rare days/times it's beneficial to have locked you have it, Most other times you need 4x4 you use Auto.