Why not a Bakflip Revolver x2 Bedcover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nighthawk87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It’s a hard cover, rolls up like a soft cover, locks, keeps water out, doesn’t take up any bed space when rolled, and is a good price from a good company?

Why would anyone want any different bedcover? Other than hard painted one or camper shell that is...

I see all types, especially folding ones and am trying to understand why somebody would choose a folding over a rolling, especially if the filing rolls up to hard cover...

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love my BAK Revolver X2.....

I have had many tonneau covers, spreading the whole field.

By far, leaps and biunds, the Revolver is my favorite. It is also the only the nicest looking rolling hard cover, it is the best locking mechanism down the sides of all the competition.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nighthawk87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

By far, leaps and biunds, the Revolver is my favorite. It is also the only the nicest looking rolling hard cover, it is the best locking mechanism down the sides of all the competition.

Thanks! I guess. I’m trying to understand any attribute that makes a trifold hard cover better than a revolver x2. Want to make sure I’m not missing something. I literally can’t see any, yet people still buy lots of trucks folds...why?

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I suppose peolpe like choosing between losing bed length and blocking their whole back window everytime they need to fold up their cover...

Or perhaps, they think that somehow adding seams that run the width will reduce rain leakage...

Seriously though, no hard rollup that I know of allows a particularly effective option for only partial rollup. With multi-folds, you have more options regarding partial bed length necessities.

OP
OP
N

nighthawk87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I suppose peolpe like choosing between losing bed length and blocking their whole back window everytime they need to fold up their cover...

Or perhaps, they think that somehow adding seams that run the width will reduce rain leakage...

Seriously though, no hard rollup that I know of allows a particularly effective option for only partial rollup. With multi-folds, you have more options regarding partial bed length necessities.

Ahh I see. I can’t think of when I would need it partially covered though...haha. To me either cover or not is fine.

Only other thing I can think of as a plus for tri fold is less moving parts?

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I got the gator pro soft tri fold you can see here: https://gatorcovers.com/shop-by-category/soft-folding.html I got it since it was half or less the price of hard try fold and I am not worried about theft in terms of someone slicing the cover based on where I live but I can see that being a concern for some. I think tri fold is the way to go hard vs soft for me comes down to price and if you feel the need to pay for the extra security a hard cover provides.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
It’s a hard cover, rolls up like a soft cover, locks, keeps water out, doesn’t take up any bed space when rolled, and is a good price from a good company?

Why would anyone want any different bedcover? Other than hard painted one or camper shell that is...

I see all types, especially folding ones and am trying to understand why somebody would choose a folding over a rolling, especially if the filing rolls up to hard cover...

Am I missing something?

I love my revolver. Its my second one. First one i had on my 14 cummins that i sold. Now i have one on this rcsb. I thought about the tri fold until i saw how the folds would crease and eventually crack on some brands

Last edited:

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had the x4 on my old truck and it was a great looking cover. The downside to it was when I drove it had a little play in it at highway speeds you could see the cover kind of bouncing slightly. Not a major issue, but at 900 dollars I expected a solid cover. Won’t be buying again for that reason. Going with the Lomax if I buy another cover. Evidently it locks at all 3 panels so shouldn’t have that slight bounce the x4 had.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a tri-fold from Bakflip on my last truck and would strap kayaks on top of it. With the soft rolling one, id be afraid it would wear/tear/rip

Last edited:

eaglefrq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my revolver. Its my second one. First one i had on my 14 cummins that i sold. Now i have one on this rcsb. I thought about the tri fold until i saw how the folds would crease and eventually crack on some brands

Do you have any issues rolling it up in the winter? I saw a video where a guy showed some problems rolling/unrolling and locking it in the winter due to snow.

I'm in the market for a cover and I've been researching them.

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have any issues rolling it up in the winter? I saw a video where a guy showed some problems rolling/unrolling and locking it in the winter due to snow.

Here in Vancouver, we get little snowfall, but lots of ice. I have had no issues with locks freezing, but the edges can stick down in silverthaw conditions. This would apply to any cover that seals to the bed rails the way mine does (on top of the rail).

As for the cover tearing under a kayak or something, I could see you causing abrasions, but it would still be aluminum (similar to a bay door) underneath. And the leather looking material (I think it is a marine grade vinyl, or similar) is very thick and has stood up to some moderate abuse by me and my kids with very little wear.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine

Just sweep the snow off and you are good to go. Never have a problem here in Pa.

OP
OP
N

nighthawk87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
How many of you have rattling with the newer one? I’m think ones bought in the last few months?

So they all rattle or is it installation.

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my extang encore. I chose it over others because it can be completely removed from the truck in seconds, opens from the front as well for easy access to items that aren’t strapped down. For me it was between the extang and bakflip but with hauling motorcycles i wanted to be able to see the load.

eaglefrq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just sweep the snow off and you are good to go. Never have a problem here in Pa.

Here is the video I was talking about. The guy mentions it could be some snow or ice blocking the release and he did clean the snow off prior to opening the cover. That's why I'm concerned because we usually get anywhere from 2 - 4" of snow several times during the winter.

Have you had this issue? I know this can happen with any cover, but with other covers once you get the lock to disengage you are good to go. I understand most people won't need to access their beds in the winter unless they haul a lot of stuff, but I'm just looking at different scenarios. And yes, I sometimes overthink an issue.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Reasons I chose a tri-fold over the rolling cover (which may be non issues but was my perception).

1. I was worried about the longevity of the “soft” material in the Arizona sun.

2. I was worried about noise from wind across the top of the soft part of the cover.

3. My kids like to fold over the first panel and sit on it with their feet in the bed. Didn’t think that was possible with the rolling cover.

I thought about the sliding roll away covers but was worried about the amount of space the “cage” took in the bed as well as the difficulty of removing it if needed. I am happy with the MX4 except not being able to lock it upright in the last position and having it rest against the cab. Would probably buy the Undercover Ultra Flex if I did it again.

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reasons I chose a tri-fold over the rolling cover (which may be non issues but was my perception).

2. I was worried about noise from wind across the top of the soft part of the cover.

3. My kids like to fold over the first panel and sit on it with their feet in the bed. Didn’t think that was possible with the rolling cover.

I thought about the sliding roll away covers but was worried about the amount of space the “cage” took in the bed as well as the difficulty of removing it if needed. I am happy with the MX4 except not being able to lock it upright in the last position and having it rest against the cab. Would probably buy the Undercover Ultra Flex if I did it again.

#2 is the only one of these that I would say is not going to be a real issue. 1 and 3 are definitely pluses for the hard multi-folds in general.

OP
OP
N

nighthawk87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Thanks for a good post. Exactly what I was looking for. For me I would hope the longevity of the revolver x4 is as good as the mx4. It’s probably the same material on both. Not sure if rolling it reduces the life. Nonetheless I guess it’s speculation or are you aware of actually evidence that the material last longer in a folding cover. That would for sure make a difference to me.

The noise I hear some say it is and other say it isn’t. Bak’s website says it’s quiet so maybe it’s install. If it is noisy guess I could return it since it clearly states it isn’t. Would be a pain though.

The kid one is interesting. For me my kids are accident prone and I don’t let them climb up into the ram bed. Used to in the f150 cause it had a step and was much easier for them. The ram, not so much. It’s also much higher.

Thanks again.

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope, the older Vancouver. Older by about 60 years. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334