Why Not to Buy Oil Filter Magnets for Your Car - Myth Busted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
He hates anything and everything that isnt stock. If you wanna watch scotty, dont waste your time with anything post-2018. His content became nothing but opinions. His older stuff is great. Short videos, usually 5 mins or less and the knowledge, tips and tricks were on point.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
He might not be very useful, but the argument (about magnets) is valid and has been going on for some time.

As an engineer who has dealt with automotive powertrains, and still keeps up on them, I'm here to tell you that oil filter magnets aren't really doing a whole lot for you unless you're buying extremely low-quality filters. Your higher-quality filters have a fine enough mesh and screen that anything large enough to do serious damage to the inside of your engine will get trapped and removed when you change it. That, and there is already a magnet inside your oil pan/reservoir - it is a part of your factory drain plug. It does a pretty decent job of collecting shavings and fine particles in the oil.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The Allison transmissions use a magnet disc that sits between the filter and the transmission housing. Important if a quick lube place changes the ATF to be sure that they do not toss the disc. I get my Allison fluid changed at the Allison dealer in part to avoid this and also as they have the TES 295 fluid that has double the life of the ATF available from the dealer.

Sad that science and critical thinking is not learned by the majority of high school and even college graduates as is evidenced by this video clip. Displays more ego than brains.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
He might not be very useful, but the argument (about magnets) is valid and has been going on for some time.

As an engineer who has dealt with automotive powertrains, and still keeps up on them, I'm here to tell you that oil filter magnets aren't really doing a whole lot for you unless you're buying extremely low-quality filters. Your higher-quality filters have a fine enough mesh and screen that anything large enough to do serious damage to the inside of your engine will get trapped and removed when you change it. That, and there is already a magnet inside your oil pan/reservoir - it is a part of your factory drain plug. It does a pretty decent job of collecting shavings and fine particles in the oil.

The magnets are at a point before the oil enters the filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oil filter magnets only work if you lube them up real gud with relative bearing grease.. :imo: