WHY RAM HASN’T SURPASSED FORD IN TRUCK SALES!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is just my opinion, RAM has been on the rise for years now, but can’t seem to catch Ford in sales.Here’s my take on that. It’s because they’re getting murdered in the commercial sector. I work in the railroad industry and 90% of the vehicles are Ford. I’ve talked to different upfitters and the main issue is that RAM doesn’t make a chassis that’s easy to upfit. I have a RAM 2500 that I was going to upfit with rail gear but the cost is 20k opposed to 12k for Ford. Tell me your thoughts why you think RAM isn’t #1 in truck sales.

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stigma from dodges from the late 90s-00s.
Ford has a huge following as well and makes a good truck with a good selection of engines. I don't care too much about the Ecoboost but the down low torque is hard to beat. Add in it's cheap and easy to get more ponies out of.
Commercial wise I see a lot more Ford's but ram seems to be #2 at least in my area.

Think RAM is in the way up and the 5th Gen will dip into the Ford and Chevy shares .
Especially with how well RAM improved the interior.

Curious of the sales when you factor out commercial purchases .

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ram is nipping on the heals of Chevy but it will take a while to catch Ford.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
IMHO. The ford's are the best HD on the market now. The ram isn't even close. After driving a 2018 F350 and a Ram 3500 back to back I wouldn't even consider the current ram if it wasn't way cheaper. Also prefer the GMs, but if you want bigger tires you're going to need a step ladder because the wheel wells are so tight they require more lift. The 1500 rams on the other hand I think the new ones are the nicest of the big 3 and I'm just not a fan of turbo gas engines yet. 4th Gen are nice, but they gained market share on price and a newfound reliability that dodge wasn't previously known for. For that reason I think they'll maintain their market share out of loyalty, but gaining a lot more market with it in the same price range now is going to be tough.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work for a utility myself and 90% of our trucks are GM products mostly the previous generation. Our two plant trucks are a 2015 Silverado 1500(POS) and a 2003 SRW F350 longbed crew cab. We have a few 2500 Rams in the fleet but not many.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it's the fleet discounts that push Ford to #1.. I work for a municipal shop and 90% of the light duty stuff (under 5 ton) is Ford's.. Granted, they are junk, but when buying with tax dollars it's the lowest bid that wins, regardless of quality.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep my vote is fleet vehicles. I know all of our company trucks are Silverado 2500s and that’s what they stuck with must be quite a bit cheaper then what ram would have and they get used and abused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1 word!!! FLEET!!!!!!!!!

However, as a new Ram owner (like 1 week) ........I've been a GM guy for a long time and I didn't know that Ram wasn't Dodge........I didn't know until 1 week before someone told me not to buy the F150 King Ranch (I was about to order 1) until I looked at the new Ram. I replied......Dodge????? And they said ...No, RAM!

I've even had someone ask me ......what made you buy a Dodge? That could have something to do with it too. Lastly, Ford has some diehard customers. They don't sit and complain about model changes.....they just eat them up and keep trading.

PowerWagonAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1 word!!! FLEET!!!!!!!!!

However, as a new Ram owner (like 1 week) ........I've been a GM guy for a long time and I didn't know that Ram wasn't Dodge........I didn't know until 1 week before someone told me not to buy the F150 King Ranch (I was about to order 1) until I looked at the new Ram. I replied......Dodge????? And they said ...No, RAM!

I've even had someone ask me ......what made you buy a Dodge? That could have something to do with it too. Lastly, Ford has some diehard customers. They don't sit and complain about model changes.....they just eat them up and keep trading.

This. Ford is the number 1 selling truck because of Government (State, city, town) etc. sales. It grew even more when Chevrolet discontinued the Caprice - Pretty much every Police Force went with the Ford Explorer.. which at sometimes is considered to be in their truck sales... Not sure how!!/?/

Ram did out sell Chevrolet for sales in 2016 and some of 2017.

If you look at interiors alone - Ram is in a complete other league. Especially those 5th gens! Holy crap! The interiors have already won awards against higher cars like BMW, Benz and Lexus (if you haven't seen the 19s interior, pictures do NOT do it justice, you have to see in person)

I have never been a Ford guy, the F150s looks nice - but fall short everwhere else. Chevrolet - that bucket of plastic can melt in my driveway.

RHeller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
because Fords are a good truck. they are good at everything and really good with making power and mpg. Fords are #1 because of the loyal following they have. I have loved my last 2 rams, but I was very happy with my last 2 ecoboost fords as well. Its gonna take a whole helluva lot for Ram to surpass the f150. Isnt the F150 the highest selling vehicle...not just truck

PowerWagonAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
because Fords are a good truck. they are good at everything and really good with making power and mpg. Fords are #1 because of the loyal following they have. I have loved my last 2 rams, but I was very happy with my last 2 ecoboost fords as well. Its gonna take a whole helluva lot for Ram to surpass the f150. Isnt the F150 the highest selling vehicle...not just truck

I don't think I'd agree with you. Are you aware of all the known problems Ford motors have in the diesel world? Ford had tried to not fix those - but completely redesign their motors. The Cummins motor had a 5.9 and a 6.7. Count how many motors in that time frame Ford come out with!

One thing that bugs me is when people say Toyota and Ford last. Not in my world. Being a mechanic opens your eyes. Working for Toyota USA - I'm not so sure I'd even own a Toyota.. and you'll never catch me in a Ford truck.

Pendleton Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s clearly a fleet thing. I have owned two rams and with the exception of a rear End vibration they could not figure out. Since then I have gone to Ford to see what all the fuss is about and I can tell you this I would say that ford paint is way better than Ram. Ram paint is very thin. The ride is softer in the Ram. The interior is a draw. Back seat room in the ford is waaay bigger. I miss the Hemi sound but the ecoboost easily outpulls it to my surprise. Which one would last longer? Don’t care because I trade often so that’s not relevant for me.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As mentioned fleet sales are mainly what keep Ford in the #1 for sales. At my work 95% of our fleet are Fords. Vans, F150s, and F450 bucket trucks. In 2015 my company ordered a bunch of Chevy Express 2500 vans. None are Rams.

However in my area Verizon now has all HD Ram bucket trucks they got recentlly.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Just watched an interesting show on the history of trucks. They said it is because Ford counts "F" series trucks, all versions of it and every kind of truck they make is an F series.

GM + GMC might sell more but GM didn't want to explain that the 2 trucks are they same thing with different badges. lol

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I work for a utility myself and 90% of our trucks are GM products mostly the previous generation. Our two plant trucks are a 2015 Silverado 1500(POS) and a 2003 SRW F350 longbed crew cab. We have a few 2500 Rams in the fleet but not many.

We used to have all GM trucks as well, but as of 2018 they've started replacing our fleet with Ram trucks. Both 1500's and 2500's.
Added bonus, is that our corporate discount has now moved over to FCA! :waytogo:

FXLRRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My opinion is simple...Ford has so many fleet vehicles throughout the country adding to their total numbers.
Just consider every town and municipality in the country... My observance has been most of them use Ford vehicles, hence the "#1 in truck sales" claim... Chevy sometimes falls into this category too.
Remove the fleet vehicle numbers and I'd be curious to see who leads by what...???

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill agree its definetly due to Fleet, we have alot of new Fords because they were able to “fill the “order” at the time.

And dont forget when they talk about the F-Series truck sales, it includes the big ones, like up to the F-750 or however high the number goes.........