WHY RAM HASN’T SURPASSED FORD IN TRUCK SALES!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

therethere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
And dont forget when they talk about the F-Series truck sales, it includes the big ones, like up to the F-750 or however high the number goes.........

To be fair they all do that (include light and medium duty sales figures together). Ram doesn't break down 1500, 2500, and 3500 sales. They just report Ram Pickup sales which is all three. Ditto GM with the Silverado (1500 and HD models) and Sierra (1500 and HD models). Ford only includes up to the F-450 in "F-series" sales. The F-650 and F-750 are reported separate as heavy truck sales.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To be fair they all do that (include light and medium duty sales figures together). Ram doesn't break down 1500, 2500, and 3500 sales. They just report Ram Pickup sales which is all three. Ditto GM with the Silverado (1500 and HD models) and Sierra (1500 and HD models). Ford only includes up to the F-450 in "F-series" sales. The F-650 and F-750 are reported separate as heavy truck sales.

I agree with you for the most part but neither Ram or GM offer as many models as Ford, heck GM just recently got back into the Medium/heavy duty market with their Topkick (or whatver they are called now) series of trucks. My post was a response to the OP’s Titled question. And lets be real, most of Ford’s truck commercials are for the F-150’s, not the whole line up so their claim as the best selling truck for 40 plus years is a bit of a stretch IM0. Are they lying? Not technically but go ask your spouse about something you “technically” didnt lie about or weren’t as forthcoming as you should have and see how well that goes over.

therethere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I agree with you for the most part but neither Ram or GM offer as many models as Ford
That is a poor argument. Nothing is stopping Ram from offering a Ram 4500 or whatever. Same with GM. But Ford has run away with that market and there is not enough scraps left to build a profitable business case around them for others.

I like Ram, but I am not going to pooh-pooh Ford and their pickup success. They didn't get to their sales position out of sheer luck, they did it out of decades of making consistent and appealing trucks with good dependability under heavy use and in harsh (re: salty) environments. Those are things, as much as it pains me to say as a Ram fan, Dodge/Ram hasn't always been good at. That builds customer (both consumer and fleet) loyalty and drives future sales.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is a poor argument. Nothing is stopping Ram from offering a Ram 4500 or whatever. Same with GM. But Ford has run away with that market and there is not enough scraps left to build a profitable business case around them for others.

I like Ram, but I am not going to pooh-pooh Ford and their pickup success. They didn't get to their sales position out of sheer luck, they did it out of decades of making consistent and appealing trucks with good dependability under heavy use and in harsh (re: salty) environments. Those are things, as much as it pains me to say as a Ram fan, Dodge/Ram hasn't always been good at. That builds customer (both consumer and fleet) loyalty and drives future sales.

Let’s be clear here friend, its no argument, its a SIMPLE FACT. Im not politc’n on why Ram or GM does or doesn’t have more moels available, simply answering the OP’s question why Ford sales volumes are higher and having more vehicle models available absolutely factors into that equation.

Waffle House sells the most steaks in the United States, they sure as s$$t aren't the best but boy they can sure claim to be #1 in sales based on volume!!!!

In the end, what do the sales number mean? To us, nothing but something to banter about. Now for the companies it means something different......

Learned to drive in a Ford (well Muercury)BTW.........my dad preferred bigger cars, had the distinct pleasure of learning to to drive in a ‘92 Grand Marquis and then he bought another one when to bodystyle changed. Was kinda fun driving around in a car that looked like a narc’ mobile

Last edited:

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
Ram has made big gains since they came out with the 4th gen body style and started upgrading their interiors and features. The F Series has been the number one selling vehicle for many years and it will take a while to catch Ford but I think Ram has put a dent in their sales for sure. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big three trucks they all have their pluses and minuses. I'm not really into the Ford's looks wise but I know they make a decent truck. Some of it is also the number of Dealerships. Ford has more dealerships then Ram and reaches a larger audience overall.

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I'll add to this old thread...lol. Simple answer....fleet sales. My son works for a huge company. All of their 1/2 tons are F150s and almost all of their 2500's are Chevy. Not a single Ram anywhere. He had a 2014 F150 company truck that he drove for about 6 months. They also had a couple of 1500 Silverados that they had rented. He had one of those for about a year. He hated the F150 compared to the Silverado. The F150 had the 5.0. He said the power was decent but the steering and suspension was sub-par and the interior noise was pretty bad. He then bought his own 2018 2500 Ram

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMHO. The ford's are the best HD on the market now. The ram isn't even close. After driving a 2018 F350 and a Ram 3500 back to back I wouldn't even consider the current ram if it wasn't way cheaper.

Curious as to why you would not consider the Ram HD?

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm currently in the market for a new 2500 and was all about the 6.4 Hemi for towing.

Then Ford threw the 7.3 gas in my face......that's why.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Curious as to why you would not consider the Ram HD?
That was a couple years ago, but I'm still in the ford camp on the hd. Know a lot of guys with them and no complaints since they switched to an in house developed diesel engine yet I still see a couple rams a year towed or limping off the work sites with emissions control system problems. Once I start seeing more 5th gen hds and they prove their reliability in cold weather has improved that could easily change. They get reliable if you delete them, but that makes resale a pain and less and less places are willing to do it for legal reasons. Add on Ford upped to 1050 torque and a 10 spd for 2020 vs to my knowledge ram is around mid 900 and still 6spd and the gap got bigger over the last couple years.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was a couple years ago, but I'm still in the ford camp on the hd. Know a lot of guys with them and no complaints since they switched to an in house developed diesel engine yet I still see a couple rams a year towed or limping off the work sites with emissions control system problems. Once I start seeing more 5th gen hds and they prove their reliability in cold weather has improved that could easily change. They get reliable if you delete them, but that makes resale a pain and less and less places are willing to do it for legal reasons. Add on Ford upped to 1050 torque and a 10 spd for 2020 vs to my knowledge ram is around mid 900 and still 6spd and the gap got bigger over the last couple years.

like many have said they all have pros and cons, however, with the increased numbers and the 10spd tranny (which I’ve heard has too many gears, some of which are useless) the ram is still the best truck for towing. Good old fashioned tractor motor that produces great power down low in the rpms. Now I will say it’s slow compared to the Ford/Chevy/gmc but on the other side it gets better mileage. To each their own, you can’t really go wrong with any nowadays.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
If you look at sales of 10,000 lbs and up GVWR, i.e. weed out some of the grovery getters, Ram does very well. And GM has been in nowheresville forever.Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 10.15.23 AM.png

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I've OWNED both Ram 2500, 3500 and Ford F250, F350. Ford doesn't have anything over Ram. I'll take a Cummins over a Powerstroke any day. Ram has 1,000 ft/lb torque mated to an Aisen trans which is pretty dang bullet proof. Ford might need the 10 speed. Ram sure doesn't with the Cummins. There's a reason probably 90% (maybe more) of the diesel truck pullers are Rams. Cummins......

My last HD anything IMG_20140630_104710_743.jpg

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
A big part of it is that Ford puts a great deal more money into development of each new F-150 than Chrysler did with the Dodge trucks. Now that Ram is producing the best engineered pickup trucks it has to contend with people who are creatures of habit. I have heard many times someone say that they only buy Fords or Chevys and often that is what their daddy always bought.

The F-150 outsells the Ram and Chevy and Toyota 1500 trucks but it is very different if one looks at the medium duty trucks (Class , 4, 5, 6) then they will find that Ram sells more of these trucks than Ford, Chevy, and GM combined and does so year after year.

Pickups in the 1500, 2500, 3500 series are considered light duty trucks in the truck world. With a F-450 for example the trucks ship with 19.5 wheels and tires and not the LT or light truck tires found on their F-350 pickups.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
This is just my opinion, RAM has been on the rise for years now, but can’t seem to catch Ford in sales.Here’s my take on that. It’s because they’re getting murdered in the commercial sector. I work in the railroad industry and 90% of the vehicles are Ford. I’ve talked to different upfitters and the main issue is that RAM doesn’t make a chassis that’s easy to upfit. I have a RAM 2500 that I was going to upfit with rail gear but the cost is 20k opposed to 12k for Ford. Tell me your thoughts why you think RAM isn’t #1 in truck sales.

Ford classifies all their trucks as the F-Series, meaining sales of all their trucks (Super duties included) are summed up as one category. Its just depends on how the company decides to show their numbers.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge trucks have been a rising star the last several years and now are the best trucks on the road.

I've never really had a bad truck......5 Chevy's, 1 ford and 2 Rams.

Ford is trying to steal a few gasser guys with the 7.3 but my next truck will be a 6.4 .

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
IMHO, I hope Ram never outsells Ford or GM simply because I don't want them producing these trucks simply to sell numbers and letting innovation and quality go down the tubes. You don't have to sell the most trucks to be #1, you just need loyal customers who like your product because it is dependable, innovative, and does the job for which it was engineered. I've driven Rams since 1990 (with the exception of a Chevy Duramax which didn't last long and I went back into a Cummins) and they have all been solid with the exception of my Ecodiesels - I'll blame that on Italian arrogance for trying to bring VM Motori engines to the US and the EPA for all the crap FCA had to bolt on to them to make them "environmentally friendly".

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Good point. My son used to race karts and we had a guy build our engines. He had a waiting list. Other engine builders had 3 or 4 guys in their shop popping out engines. Our builder was a 1 man show. He told me once 'I'm not worried about having the most engines out there, only the best engines'. BTW-his dad was Bill Ray Cook from Stones, Woods, and Cook (old drag racer)

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Because Ford is the king of the commercial side, where a large volume of there sales comes from. They are living on an age old reputation, which at the time GM and Ram couldn't contend with.

As a result of that, the rest of the commercial industry that supports the truck part of things has adapted to Ford being the "norm", hence most up fitters have more selection for ford trucks at a better price.

Anywhere I've ever been, the commercial industries are dominated by ford work trucks. The Ford commercial program is pretty awesome to. It has been molded over the years of high volume and they have it dialed in pretty good.

The f450/550 alone are big sellers and for good reason.

Seanfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it has to contend with people who are creatures of habit. I have heard many times someone say that they only buy Fords or Chevys .....

I was open to all brands, except Ram initially when searching for a new truck, so I WAS that guy, until I actually got in and drove one.

F-150 hated the 10spd tranny - and confirmed with an employed Ford diesel mechanic that they flat out suck. They have the means to fix them, but its about units sold and they will fix those that they get complaints on. Felt like I was driving a manual tranny. It's the ONLY vehicle I actually ended the test drive early on.

Troutman561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was Toyota only guy. I was for 13 years. Ram was #3 on my list to replace my 01 Tundra... Until I drove one. Bought a 2017 and 1.5 years later a 2019. At the moment, no one holds a candle to the 5th gen Ram ride wise and interior quality wise. Time will tell if it treats me as well as my Tundra did reliability wise.. In 13 years I had a power steering pulley fail and my AC vent fan. DIY fixes under $300 total. I also lost an alternator but that was my fault. Another easy fix.