Why so much Chrome dislike?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've noticed going through all the member photos that the vast majority of you seem to prefer mostly painted looks. Where's the chrome love? Is it just because I'm an older guy? I've always preferred pickups to have a more semi/rig truck look to them, it feels more Mad Max to me whereas the body paint majority look I feel is more car-like. If it wasn't so ridiculous a size to drive around as a personal vehicle I'd love a chrome beast like the one in this picture (forgive me, it's a Furd, I just grabbed it for a quick Google search example)
fb02f0332a7b8d92a1a87b3e51288a0c.jpg

JUICEBOX

I don't read the script. The script reads me.
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I dont think anyone knocks chrome its just one of those things that eveyone had and now everyone has stuff that isnt chrome, kinda like it used to be bad ass to have a chromed out harley, now its bad ass to have a blacked out harley. The thing that turned me off of chrome was the gang bangers in their chromed out escalades standing in front of me in the checkout line paying for a bag of chips with their access cards. Chrome was dead to me after that.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Chrome has to much upkeep... most who do the chrome, over do it. Pretty much go into auto zone and buy every piece of chrome they can get. I find very few people these days that actually have good taste and contrast chrome and paint properly. The only chrome on my truck is the grille and rear bumper. I did have a chrome trim piece that goes in the middle of my bumper, but it flew off.

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont think anyone knocks chrome its just one of those things that eveyone had and now everyone has stuff that isnt chrome, kinda like it used to be bad ass to have a chromed out harley, now its bad ass to have a blacked out harley. The thing that turned me off of chrome was the gang bangers in their chromed out escalades standing in front of me in the checkout line paying for a bag of chips with their access cards. Chrome was dead to me after that.

I guess it's a generational thing, where I am the gang bangers are all driving bodypainted kit lowered honda civics and WRX's. Us old farts are the ones with the chrome now. I belong to the ones who think the chromed out harleys look better, but again, that's my generation

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chrome has to much upkeep... most who do the chrome, over do it. Pretty much go into auto zone and buy every piece of chrome they can get. I find very few people these days that actually have good taste and contrast chrome and paint properly. The only chrome on my truck is the grille and rear bumper. I did have a chrome trim piece that goes in the middle of my bumper, but it flew off.

I haven't started doing anything to mine yet so right now I have the stock chrome bumpers, door handles and nerf bars. The only chrome additions I plan to make are rims and a bull bar but I don't think that's overdoing it. My grille only has the chrome outline, the insert is black, and the mirrors are black too (I don't have the Bighorn where both of those are chrome). It is more upkeep, but I really enjoy how it gleams in the summer when I shine it all up so I don't really mind.

So in that example picture I posted, does that look overdone to you? I personally love all the chrome on it, to me it looks amazing

Last edited:

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My current 2nd gen has more chrome than any other truck I've owned, bumpers, grill, mirrors, brush guard and rocker panel trim. Which will be changing fairly soon.
I've never had a taste for chrome. Can I appreciate a vehicle that has chrome accents done right? Absolutely. Would I leave said vehicle like that if it were mine? Probably not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Biggest issue for me(I'm old as dirt)is that no ones has good chrome anymore.Nearly everything is chrome plated plastic.A bit of chrome is OK,but like others have said it seems like the people that like it go completely over the top.I find the same with bikes(I ride a Wing).Some bikes/trucks/cars look like a can of liquid chrome exploded onto them.
Originally I wanted the painted bumpers,but I'm actually glad that I got the chrome now as I think it looks better with the exhaust tips.That's more than enough for me.Trying to figure out what to do with my mostly chrome grill though.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I like it, but it rusts FIRST up here. Then it DOESN'T look so hot, and there's the extra cost of replacement. icon9.gif

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I think Kramer would say we have "anti-chromites" on this site.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I haven't started doing anything to mine yet so right now I have the stock chrome bumpers, door handles and nerf bars. The only chrome additions I plan to make are rims and a bull bar but I don't think that's overdoing it. My grille only has the chrome outline, the insert is black, and the mirrors are black too (I don't have the Bighorn where both of those are chrome). It is more upkeep, but I really enjoy how it gleams in the summer when I shine it all up so I don't really mind.

So in that example picture I posted, does that look overdone to you? I personally love all the chrome on it, to me it looks amazing
From the picture and the amount you're talking about "I" think it'll be perfect. I was more referring to the folks who do bumpers, window visors, fender trim, tail gate and door handle trim, grille, wheels, etc.... I could go on.

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the picture and the amount you're talking about "I" think it'll be perfect. I was more referring to the folks who do bumpers, window visors, fender trim, tail gate and door handle trim, grille, wheels, etc.... I could go on.
I hear what you're saying

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like it, but it rusts FIRST up here. Then it DOESN'T look so hot, and there's the extra cost of replacement. icon9.gif
True, but my accents will be fairly modest so if I end up swapping out something in 5 years for a couple hundred bucks I won't complain

danam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 4WD SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
Yeah a lot of code words on this site trips me out I like the chrome look. On cars on truck but I also like the blacked out look on cars and trucks I wouldn't mind having a brand new Mustang Camaro Corvette or challenger with the blacked out look another post I made awhile back where I actually uploaded pictures of my truck photoshopped blacked out I've decided to keep it Chrome I think any car enthusiast or truck enthusiasts likes it all

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How about this for chrome?

Attachments

• 4324-6324-183856.jpg
    4324-6324-183856.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 348

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I like chrome in moderation.
Chrome grille, front bumper, rear bumper, steps, bed plates, etc.....polished wheels too

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chrome is a remnant of the Pre-1970's era. Anyone who lives in the snowbelt knows how much of a pain it is to care for. And, the designs of modern vehicles, chrome just doesn't fit the looks...

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate chrome..... the only place I like it is on old vintage cars and muscle cars, but still love a clean muscle car restomod that has been redone with no chrome but it must be seriously reworked to pull it off in my book, if its a mostly stock appearance on a muscle car then the chrome stays...

New vehicles it looks cheap to me and most do not flow with the shape and design of the vehicle... it usually clashes, its like wearing plaid pants with a stripped shirt... just clashes

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate chrome..... the only place I like it is on old vintage cars and muscle cars, but still love a clean muscle car restomod that has been redone with no chrome but it must be seriously reworked to pull it off in my book, if its a mostly stock appearance on a muscle car then the chrome stays...

New vehicles it looks cheap to me and most do not flow with the shape and design of the vehicle... it usually clashes, its like wearing plaid pants with a stripped shirt... just clashes
I feel the opposite, I prefer the look of chrome bumpers grilles and nerf bars on a truck because it looks more steely and solid to me. Every time I see a paint tone bumper all I can think about is plastic

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess I'm old school I like a certain amount of chrome. There's nothing like a Laramie all chromed up IMO.

To me gangbanger chrome is like "how much chrome can I put on a vehicle" but chrome if done right, looks nice IMO. One of the reasons I ended up with a Big Horn is because of the chrome door handles and bumpers. Then I bought polished stainless running boards to match.

But to each their own.