Why the decrease in HD tire pressures?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
OP, my experience with the Transforce tires has been terrible. I am now running them at maximum pressure (80 psi) per Firestone's suggestion in an attempt to counteract the rapidly wearing outside edge (the tread immediately above the whitewall side). Ride quality suffers a bit, but as you will see from the photos, the outside edge is limiting my tire life so we are trying to balloon the tire and eke out a bit more life. For all of their 25,000 miles, they have been inflated above 65 psi, yet still had this crazy uneven wear.

Transforce ATs 275/70R18 were the "upgraded snowplow package" OEM tires for my RAM. I've never used them as such; it has solely been a highway vehicle. However, these tires have worn very irregularly, despite 3 times to the dealer and FIRESTONE shops to confirm the factory alignment is and has always been perfect. Tires always properly inflated. Frequent rotations, usually at 5K, but once at 7k miles. The sidewalls have a visible "cut" or seam all the way around the circumference of the tires. One tire the outer layer has peeled back, revealing the white material all the way around the tire. Looks like crap.

This is a highway truck - it is NOT caused by hitting a curb, or by using "tire shine" like the Firestone representative suggested.

My OEM tires are a bit of a mismatch, some with two date codes 0620, one 0720, and one illegible. I recognize there was a recall on certain dates for this exact tire due to poor wear and buggered compounds. But Firestone says these don't qualify for replacement. Because the tires with the date code 0620 have BOTH sidewall delamination and poor wear immediately above the whitewalls, I think that is pertinent. The tire with the 0720 date code is performing much better. But Firestone doesn't care.

A local tire shop says they are unsafe to drive, but the nearest Firestone dealer (100 miles away) says it is just a cosmetic issue; that sidewalls peeling like shown below is common with Firestone "mold defects". Firestone Warranty says to take it to a Firestone store. The Firestone store says they don't do anything for OEM tires, and I should instead call Corporate Firestone Customer Service. Customer Service says to contact Warranty. They are driving me crazy.

The local tire shop says the are unsafe and DO NOT DRIVE THEM. Firestone says it is just a cosmetic defect. Very disappointed with the tires, and even more disappointed that Firestone Customer Support and Firestone Warranty just give me the runaround. Crap tire, and lack of resolution! It is a shame to have to drive on a tire that I fear is unsafe, especially on a new truck. I look forward to having enough money to replace the set with something that I am comfortable the sidewalls won't disintegrate.

Attachments

• called a seam or mold defect around tires.jpg
    called a seam or mold defect around tires.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 14
  • even the best tire has a ridge or seam, and the raised white letters are floppy and peeling off .jpg
    even the best tire has a ridge or seam, and the raised white letters are floppy and peeling off .jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 13
  • further sidewall degradation after driving back from Grand Junction.jpg
    further sidewall degradation after driving back from Grand Junction.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 14
  • seam or crack all around circumference .jpg
    seam or crack all around circumference .jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 14
  • soft spot .jpg
    soft spot .jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 14
  • uneven wear, appearing to show different compound on tread .jpg
    uneven wear, appearing to show different compound on tread .jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 15
  • what appears to be a cut around entire circumference of tires.jpg
    what appears to be a cut around entire circumference of tires.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wow, that's quite story. Sorry to hear about the hassles you've had to go through with those. I can't believe Firestone is not standing behind them, seems some obvious manf defects. I'll keep an eye on mine. If they start doing any of those things, I'll scrap them.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My door jam sticker on my 18 Ram 2500 CTD, like all the 3/4tons I've owned over the years, said 80psi in the rear E rated tires. On my 22, it says 60psi. I'm still tempted to run them more in the 70psi range, just for peace of mind. But was wondering why the 25% drop? I'd guess they must have determined that for the rated 10K max rating on a 2500, that was all that was needed? Did they change that on the 3500's also?

While we're talking about tires, it came with the Firestone Transforce ones. I've read that not everyone likes them. I was hoping to run them until they needed replacement, but don't want to if they're junk. I live in Arkansas, so we don't have my snow to deal with.
I found a chart that shows max load for a given tire pressure for the Firestone tires. The max load the tires can carry is at 80 PSI. At 65 PSI , as the sticker says for the rears (60 is for the front) they can carry 3,195 pounds per tire. 3195 x 2 tires = 6,390 pounds. Not coincidentally, 6390 is the GRAWR so my view is that anything over 65 is overkill on a 2500. On a 3500, I'm assuming that the specified pressure would be higher due to a higher GRAWR though someone with a 3500 could check that.

I've only got about 7,000 miles on my truck with the Firestone, about 5,500 of that towing my 7,600 pound travel trailer. I have no complaints about them so far. I'm actually thinking about lowering the pressures down to 55 when not towing for a better ride quality.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm running 60 psi in all 4 as listed on door jamb, I did not like the feel at 50 or 55 psi front, 50 psi rear, I did notice the air pressure increased 5-9 psi this summer on these Firestone AT tires, for towing depending on tow weight 70-80
Interesting yours says 60 all around. My truck is near identical except its a 6.4 and mine says 60 front and 65 rear. 65 is what's needed to reach the truck's rear axle rating of 6390. Do you have different wheels? Mine are the 18's.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Interesting yours says 60 all around. My truck is near identical except its a 6.4 and mine says 60 front and 65 rear. 65 is what's needed to reach the truck's rear axle rating of 6390. Do you have different wheels? Mine are the 18's.
IMG_1326.jpg

My door sticker, when I did look at it some time ago I thought it was one for a gasser not a diesel being it only has one PSI setting

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Diesel has more weight in the front, meaning you can carry less weight in the rear to reach gvwr. So, no need for higher pressure in the rear.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Diesel has more weight in the front, meaning you can carry less weight in the rear to reach gvwr. So, no need for higher pressure in the rear.
I can tell you on one smart would run 60 PSI in the rear tires if they were going to put 6K on the rear axel.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I can tell you on one smart would run 60 PSI in the rear tires if they were going to put 6K on the rear axel.
Literally zero way to load the rear axle of a 2500 diesel to 6000 lbs. Payloads are pretty low at like 2100-2300 for your average CCSB 4x4.

Besides, even at 60-65 PSI those tires are rated to carry 3000 lbs each.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The Firestsone tires are good ones but I replaced them on my truck to get greater payload capacity. The Transforce were rated for 2700 lbs and I replaced them with Nitto tires that had a 3750 lb at 80 PSI.

Best to go with the Ram recommendation for tire pressure but it is odd that the PSI for the front would be the same as for the rear. I ran my 2500 diesel at 65 PSI in the front and 80 PSI in the rear when carrying a heavy load in the bed.

Check the sidewall on the Firestone tire and see what it is rated for and what the maximum PSI is for them.

David Oakes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I-6 HO
On a 3500, I'm assuming that the specified pressure would be higher due to a higher GRAWR though someone with a 3500 could check that.

Yes, the numbers are very different on a 3500. 6.7 I6 turbo diesel with aisin AS69RC HD transmission, 8 foot box. 25,000 gcwr, 17,500 5th wheel trailer rating.

20221022_180750.jpg

gradford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My Transforce all-terrain OEM tires lasted a little more than a year, (20,000 miles mostly highway) on my 2017 Ram 3500. Tire wear was even, dealership set and maintained the pressure, but tires were just poor quality. I replaced them with Good Year Wranglers also all-terrain, for another 20,000 mile disappointment. I now have BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/As, which seem to be standing up much better after one year of driving.

big tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Firestone Transforce factory tires do not perform in anything wet. Spent way to much gas running in 4wd in the light snow. 32,000 miles on mine now and there wearing heavier on the outside edge. First set of firestones and last. Go on tirerack.com and read the reviews and rating chart. rated 5.5 for snow!

Elcorbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My door jam sticker on my 18 Ram 2500 CTD, like all the 3/4tons I've owned over the years, said 80psi in the rear E rated tires. On my 22, it says 60psi. I'm still tempted to run them more in the 70psi range, just for peace of mind. But was wondering why the 25% drop? I'd guess they must have determined that for the rated 10K max rating on a 2500, that was all that was needed? Did they change that on the 3500's also?

While we're talking about tires, it came with the Firestone Transforce ones. I've read that not everyone likes them. I was hoping to run them until they needed replacement, but don't want to if they're junk. I live in Arkansas, so we don't have my snow to deal with.
I have a 2022 3500 CTD and the door sticker says 60 for front and 80 for rear. They were all at 90 when delivered 2 weeks ago. I now have them at the correct pressures and it rides much better.