Why use a dealership for anything other than warranty work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
What is the"spending level" required to get future goodwill from fca/dealer?

Lots of people cannot afford 125+/hr for labor, so because they have stuff done elsewhere, our don't ever even need anything done, means they are disqualified from any possible relief if something big goes wrong just out of warranty?

I'm guessing 3 oil changes per year at the dealer is not enough for them to help out when the time comes?

If I pay them $600 per each of the 3 mileage based services the manual suggests during the first 60k miles, is that enough?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I think basically anytime the dealer sends you a flyer ad for service and you run down there and pay them the big bucks for every service they say that you just got to have would be sufficient to get those brownie points....but maybe not right? I'll go with the latter.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think basically anytime the dealer sends you a flyer ad for service and you run down there and pay them the big bucks for every service they say that you just got to have would be sufficient to get those brownie points....but maybe not right? I'll go with the latter.

Funny you mention that....my dealer sent me a flyer and email for the "required 3 month check up" 3 months after I bought my truck. Uhhhhh no.

Manual shows I dont even have to do anything other than oil changes until 20K miles, and even at 20K miles its stupid simple stuff (air filter, cabin air filter, lots of "inspect..." etc).

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before we moved to SC from Md I used the dealer for a lot of my service work. Yes I can do most of the work myself, but I found it more cost effective, both money and time to just have the dealer do it. Plus I don’t have to dispose of old parts or clean up a mess is my driveway or garage after I’m done.

Like one poster said though, I have found if you have a relationship with a dealer, and are pleasant, they will tend to help you out. Case in point, had a recall on my 2014 Ram a few years back, issue with rear gears. I called and made an appt to have it checked. Service writer pulled my info up in the computer, saw that I purchased the truck there, it was pre-owned, and offered me a no cost loaner car, I accepted. When I arrived for my appt, the service writer recognized my face. Fellow Harley scooter *****, and the said, “man if you don’t mind waiting about an hour I will get your truck in now and have a tech look at it. Not gonna make you go home and come back a day or two, give me a sec”. He went to the service garage, came back with a porter who promptly took my truck in. An hour and ten minutes later it was back out, recall checked and completed, and from oil in both axles. (Recall was on rear only)

Yes I know, long story. But I truly believe they took care of me because of the relationship I had with them, professional and personal over a few yrs.

Now working on a similar thing with a dealer in SC. Hope it’s works out.

OP
OP
R

RedDwg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Before we moved to SC from Md
Point 1. If you just moved somewhere - like in my situation you haven't had time to develop that relationship. The first time you go there and they see you are new and didn't buy the truck there they blow up any chance of developing a relationship by quoting $7000?!?

Plus I don’t have to dispose of old parts or clean up a mess is my driveway or garage after I’m done.
Point 2: I also don't have to if I use an independent shop.

the service writer recognized my face. Fellow Harley scooter *****
Point 3: This is always a good thing! Heck, I've parleyed that into many benefits in the past. Always good to have that Harley brotherhood but once again it takes time in the area for your face to be recognized.

But I truly believe they took care of me because of the relationship I had with them, professional and personal over a few yrs.
Point last: I agree. It's just that this dealership blew up any chance of developing that relationship with me by doing this. When I am in the market for a new truck I'll stay in brand but I won't go there....

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Point 1. If you just moved somewhere - like in my situation you haven't had time to develop that relationship. The first time you go there and they see you are new and didn't buy the truck there they blow up any chance of developing a relationship by quoting $7000?!?

Point 2: I also don't have to if I use an independent shop.

Point 3: This is always a good thing! Heck, I've parleyed that into many benefits in the past. Always good to have that Harley brotherhood but once again it takes time in the area for your face to be recognized.

Point last: I agree. It's just that this dealership blew up any chance of developing that relationship with me by doing this. When I am in the market for a new truck I'll stay in brand but I won't go there....

I concur with all of your points listed above. If I could have found an Indy shop in my area that kept the same techs more than a few months and I could trust I would have used them. I believe in shopping local and smaller.

Looking for a good Indy shop and or a dealer I can feel good about.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
No more dealer for me. Unless it's warranty work.
I tried, had a terrible experience, so never again. Live and learn.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
I've read through this thread ... personally I have owned most of the GM brands (Saab, Saturn, Hummer, Pontiac, Chevrolet), a Mazda, a Honda, and now a RAM / FCA.

I had reasonable "good will" from the GM days, especially with my Saab ... that needed a lot of good will, but it really depended on the dealer, the day, the alignment of the stars.

I've hardly had any issues with my 21 year old Miata save for some recalls performed a few years ago (about 15 years after the car was purchased - PO never addressed them). To be fair, the car hasn't even cracked 90,000 km and it lives in a warm garage.

Honda has been completely trouble free save for the airbag recall.

My RAM has been a lemon. The dealer I bought it new from wouldn't help me with anything (I had to pay out of pocket for a brake issue after 2 years). I moved to a dealer across town and they have been great to work with. I'm on my third "good will" gauge cluster now and what little warranty is left for rusting body work (truck isn't even 5!) they are helping me with.

At the end of the day a lot of it is based on luck, the people you deal with, and how you approach the situation. Some dealers / employees are assholes. Some turn into an ******* if you treat them as such. Some will go out of their way to help someone because they want to do good by their customer ... or perhaps "their" product.