Will be first time towing 5th wheel. Advise on final drive ratio and capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BCSTPete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I currently have a 2015 1500 Laramie Longhorn which we'll be upgrading to a 3500 (2015 - 2018) as the 5th wheel we're looking at has a GVWR of 15,500 lbs. I'm wondering if it would less expensive if I found one with a lower final drive and had it upgraded to a 4.10. I'm also curious about finding one with an air suspension or just adding air bags for stability. Thoughts?
My family just transitioned from a 3k square foot 2 story home to a 44’ 5th wheel. We found (after a couple months of searching) the Truck we wanted. 2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins DRW FWD G56 with less than 20k miles for 62k. Yea we specifically wanted a manual Trans. Anyway, the Truck you want is out there, you just have to search and be patient. We had to fly to Virginia. Same truck in Cal was 80k+. With that size of a 5th wheel, In my humble opinion, I would definitely suggest 4th Gen or newer, Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 4.10 ratio if automatic, 3.73 if manual (I like, but don’t suggest), DRW, 8’ bed at least. With this; airbags are not mandatory but still a good idea for comfort and ride. 4x4 only if you’ll be in the snow or mud, as it will cost you $$$$ in mpg.

OP
OP
T

Tom Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 HO cummins diesel
So we got a 2018 3500 Laramie Longhorn Mega cab yesterday. Of course it has the shorter bed so I'll need a hitch with slides, but that's no problem. It's pretty much like the 1500 we had, but white/gold with a tan interior (which is nicer). Steering is a bit loose for my taste so we'll have that looked at. 124930 miles at purchase so it's been driven, but still in good shape. $62k for it. Things it needs: 1. power running boards (the solid mounts are just too close and high), 2. new front bumper (ranch hand or fab fours likely). I want to be able to hit the deer here and not worry about it, just shove them outta the way.

Anyway, I like the diesel power and am getting used to the wide butt. My wife will take some time getting used to it.