Will I regret not getting the V8 even if I don’t tow? Debating which truck to get…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year Charger? I have a '12 with a V6. Gets 22-25 mpg around town. I've gotten 38 mpg on the highway on a trip from PA to FL. Has plenty of power for on the road, wouldn't take it to a drag strip though.

Oh and it has 190k on it.
His Charger was a 2016 model.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you get the 3.0 diesel V6 you won't miss the hemi when towing, and you'll get better fuel mileage than the gas V6.

That dog don’t hunt. They just said no more eco for the ram. That says a lot for the engine, with the cafe requirements as they kill a “good” MPG engine to keep the Hemi guzzler. Must not be that good of an engine.

The hurricane engine seems like a unicorn, talk of it but no one’s seen it. Then theres the little engine doing big work, I would rather have a big engine doing little work.

To get a useable HD with CTD you have to go to the 3500, the 2500 loses the capacity due to the weight of the CTD.

Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 3.21 in my Ram with a hemi. I had 3.92 in my last hemi ram. I HATE the 3.21s. Even with ghe v8

drclassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Classic
Engine
3.6 V6 3.55
Depends. I have an 18, with a v6 and 3.55 gears. Tow capacity is 7500ish. I have a 28’ camper I pull with it. Slow up mountains in PA, but it makes it. I’ve gone about 7 hours away to Finger Lakes through the Poconos. No overheating or any other issues.

Lifted with 35s I am still getting 19-20 mpg.

Definitely don’t get 3.21s with a V6 if you may tow. Or want tires any bigger than stock at all.

And don’t forget. The v6 now has more horsepower than some of the V8s for years ago.
Yours is the configuration I ordered: QC V6 4x4 with 3.55. I'm not sure why this combination is dismissed so vehemently. It's a good balance of utility, gas mileage and cost. Of course it depends on how you plan to use your truck, but for a guy (me) who wants a full size pickup with a 6' bed as a daily driver around town and the occasional trip, I think it's a great choice.

I see you have lots of interior/exterior mods. Have you done anything to the Pentastar?

MoparFin

U. S. Navy Vet - AS1
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yours is the configuration I ordered: QC V6 4x4 with 3.55. I'm not sure why this combination is dismissed so vehemently. It's a good balance of utility, gas mileage and cost. Of course it depends on how you plan to use your truck, but for a guy (me) who wants a full size pickup with a 6' bed as a daily driver around town and the occasional trip, I think it's a great choice.

I see you have lots of interior/exterior mods. Have you done anything to the Pentastar?
Nothing yet. Possibly a Ripp supercharger depending on how much my bonus is this year.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
V8 etorque with LED package, sport appearance package and Level 2

V6 with night edition package and bed utility group and level 2

Top one is 4K more…thoughts???
Bought my Pentastar back in 2014 and couldn't be happier. 150K miles later and not a single issue. The only thing I miss honestly is the sound of a V8. I don't miss stopping at the gas station all the time. I've towed a modest trailer with it and didn't have an issue. Now that it's paid off I'm thinking about passing it down to my son and buying another Ram with the same engine.

drclassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Classic
Engine
3.6 V6 3.55
Bought my Pentastar back in 2014 and couldn't be happier. 150K miles later and not a single issue. The only thing I miss honestly is the sound of a V8. I don't miss stopping at the gas station all the time. I've towed a modest trailer with it and didn't have an issue. Now that it's paid off I'm thinking about passing it down to my son and buying another Ram with the same engine.
You could always replace the exhaust with a stock HEMI dual exhaust. ;)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If'n a close by dealer has any inventory at all, try driving each. This has almost always guided me to the correct decision. I avoided buying a Ford Super Duty 'dump truck' that way. There's a reason why contractors buy Ford's - they're cheap and crude. Well, at least they used to be (the Heavy Duty's, that is).

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Check the warranty period and cost to replace the eTorque unit before you decide. I would want an engine without this feature.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Check the warranty period and cost to replace the eTorque unit before you decide. I would want an engine without this feature.
The warranty on my Wrangler eTorque is 8 years or 80,000 miles

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
V8 etorque with LED package, sport appearance package and Level 2

V6 with night edition package and bed utility group and level 2

Top one is 4K more…thoughts???
Must a trade be conducted immediately (requiring the purchase of something "off the rack", or is waiting an option?

My preference would be somewhat of a combination (i.e., V8, Level 2 and bed utility package) and I would avoid over-engineering the "rear axle" (as long as its ratio matches that of the front axle). The 8-speed tranny is pretty much amazing, and allows for a numerically lower final axle ratio, without sacrificing torque or fuel economy.

If they offered a new Diesel (I was told the EgoDiesel was being replaced with a better Diesel that has already been in service elsewhere, but why does Cummins not introduce a smaller Diesel for the light trucks?), I would go with that. Towing would not be as much of a problem (within the weight limits, of course).

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stupid me, I put this comment in the wrong thread. Deleted

Last edited:

BlooDSMeaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 3.21 in my Ram with a hemi. I had 3.92 in my last hemi ram. I HATE the 3.21s. Even with ghe v8
I had the Hemi with the 3.21, now I have the Hemi with the 3.92. I want to go back to the 3.21 gears! Almost the same pulling power, but a whole lot smoother shifts and drivability.

As for v-6 vs Hemi, it’sa no brainer. Hemi all the way, unless mileage is a concern. I just filled up my extended range tank for $170 bucks!!! That’s only 450 miles. That’s the sport that’s fully loaded with 3.92 gears with front and rear limited slip AWD transfer case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a tough time to get a car. My wife is getting the itch. She's finally realizing what I said at the beginning when she got her Journey Crossroad. She asked me if I liked it and I said it's nice, fully loaded but underpowered because it has a 4 cyl. She said I would say that because I have a Hemi. She loves the Journey but now she's wanting something a little more. A Durango with a V-6 is probably in our future. It'll only be a people mover. We don't need another Hemi. But I'm going to wait at least a few months (after November) to see how this whole thing pans out and what direction everything goes.
I drive a V6 Durango now. It’s been great.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I've had 2 great Ram 1500s with V6 and no problems m

Jaydoubleu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’d stay away from 3.21s unless you plan on leaving it completely stock and WILL NOT tow anything at all. Tow capacity with 3.21s is like 4K. Those gears are for gas mileage only.

I’d stay away from 3.21s regardless of what engine you pick.
True, those are parkway gears, no towing

OldManEdge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Depends. I have an 18, with a v6 and 3.55 gears. Tow capacity is 7500ish. I have a 28’ camper I pull with it. Slow up mountains in PA, but it makes it. I’ve gone about 7 hours away to Finger Lakes through the Poconos. No overheating or any other issues.

Lifted with 35s I am still getting 19-20 mpg.

Definitely don’t get 3.21s with a V6 if you may tow. Or want tires any bigger than stock at all.

And don’t forget. The v6 now has more horsepower than some of the V8s for years ago.
I'm a noob.. what's "3.21"?