Will I use the Rambox? Ordering soon, need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u103654

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi etorq
I’m about to order a 2020 RAM 1500 limited and am undecided on the Rambox. I don’t plan to carry many tools if any so I’m not sure if it will be used. I plan on purchasing the multi function tailgate as i like being able to reach close to the back of the bed from the tailgates area. It looks as though i am giving up lots of space with the Rambox. I guess i am only considering it because i really want a retractable tonneau cover and have been told that due to the Bracket for the support of the multi function tailgate i cannot get it without the rambox option. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Jim M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I've had my 2020 Limited for 2 weeks now and used the RamBox once: to haul Chinese leftovers home from the restaurant. Worked great! :D Only complaint is the need for an extra key, which I keep in that little cubby under the display.

Edit: Had to read the manual to realize that the RamBox locks and unlocks with the truck. Key is optional. Duh!

Last edited:

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From your description, it sounds like you don’t need them and therefore won’t use them.
That being said, I think they’re better than sliced bread, but not for everyone. Needs vary, based on the use of the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chris Karczmit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve had my 2020 limited for almost two weeks. My last truck was a Chevy Avalanche. I was used to having a place for my tools, straps etc. The Rambox are awesome. I fit everything I had in both my Avalanche boxes in one side with some room to spare. Couldn’t imagine not having them. The MFT is a very nice option as well. I recommend both.

Chris

U100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Be sure you’ll never want to install a camper shell on your truck before ordering the Ramboxes.

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
Ram boxes are great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That stupid bracket reeks of total afterthought. I really like the split gate. Hopefully they make some modifications to the box like thicker steel and better fastening in the corners to get rid of that bracket sooner than never. Some guys have removed the bracket and installed lower profile steel brackets to install a cover and the cover manufacturers are surely working on a solution. Whether that is their own replacement bracket or shifting the cabinet the cover rolls into back far enough to gain the width required for roll up back who knows. The folding covers should be an easier fix. I use every inch of box space so the ram boxes don't interest me.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I use mine all the time. It was the single option I had to have, and was a deal-breaker if not equipped. Before I had a truck with the rambox, I thought I would miss the room in the bed that's utilized by the boxes. But that area was mostly unuseable space in front of, over and in back of the wheel well. Oddly shaped areas which aren't of much use to me. There is still 4 feet of space between the wheel wells. I was also concerned that I couldn't fit my three kayaks in the bed, but they all fit nicely. The other aspect of the rambox option is the bed divider. Many mounting points to custom fit your cargo. I keep mine installed about 2 feet forward of the tailgate. Keeps my cargo from sliding forward, which is invaluable when you have a bed cover. And it's easily removed if I need the whole bed.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It really comes down to two things. Do you want a little storage for tools or what ever or do you need the bed space. It's a neat option but something that would never work for me personally. Figure out what your needs are then go from there.

RobertusvT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just my .02 but I wish I had ram boxes with mine. It obviously depends on your application but the utility you get out of them is worth it.

rdm1465

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 , non e-torque
IMO, the RamBoxes are very useful. This is the second time I got it. First time was on a 2015, then back to standard box. At first I thought it gimmicky. Then I started to put things in them and found that they are well worth it. I store tie down straps and emergency items on one side and the other is just normal day to day stuff and security. (out of sight out of mind)

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
I use them constantly, wouldn't be without them. Bonus points: they have a drain plug, so you can fill them with ice and keep the fish you just caught fresh. As for lost space, you are really only "losing" the space in front of and behind the wheel wells. You can still slide in drywall, plywood, etc. Of course you really don't lose the space. Some of it just gets allocated to the ram boxes.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had them on my 2012 and passed on them with my '19 just because it had every other option I wanted and had a huge price incentive. BUT I miss the RamBoxes. You can still carry 4 x 8 sheets with them. You just lose some over the wheel space which I consider dead space anyway. I kept one side for tools, straps, hitch inserts, compressor, shovel, ratchet straps, a hydraulic jack for long trips, etc. and the other side I kept empty for take-out food bags (keeps the smell/spills out), shopping bags (prevents items from rolling all over), for rifles when I went to the range, filled it with water, drinks and packed it with ice on very long drives or off-road beach days (they have drain plugs). I always found use for them and miss them. I had to buy an over-wheel swing-out case to compensate but it's not the same.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Love the Ram Boxes! Probably not for everyone but certainly are in my wheelhouse. The wife really liked the idea of tools that used to be stored on the floor boards in the back seat area finding a new home, I agreed. It doesn't hinder hauling sheet goods, doors, etc.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Use my truck primarily for travel so I carry luggage in the bed. I have not found a tonneau that works with the ram box that is absolutely water tight or I’d have the ram box. Unless you need to keep your bed bone dry get the ram box.

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
My agri loredo did a good job on my 1500 rambox. On the 2500 rambox I got the bak metal roller one. Agri did a better job and was cheaper. Not bone dry, but it was just corners and I could have fixed that but it doesn't rain here much.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had my 2020 Limited for 2 weeks now and used the RamBox once: to haul Chinese leftovers home from the restaurant. Worked great! :D Only complaint is the need for an extra key, which I keep in that little cubby under the display.

Edit: Had to read the manual to realize that the RamBox locks and unlocks with the truck. Key is optional. Duh!

I feel the same way about Chinese food, double bag it, put it the pickup bed to transport home :)

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
OP, I am on my 4th Ram with the 6.4’ Ramboxes. No Rambox, no deal for me. As far as losing space, I look at it as, just about the same amount, just relocated access.
I am waiting till FCA builds the new style Rambox in the 6.4’ length for my next truck as I want to go back to a 1/2 Ton. Love my Cummins 2500, but would like the 4 corner air ride again.