Will I use the Rambox? Ordering soon, need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rb10de

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tailgate overlaps the Rambox and the cover is limited to the width of the bed. As a result, there is a short area on each side of the tailgate that does not have a cover over it.

Now I see what you mean. At first I thought you meant the way the cover doesn't sit flat. I should have paid attention to your red circle.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
Now I see what you mean. At first I thought you meant the way the cover doesn't sit flat. I should have paid attention to your red circle.

Yeah, the pic was taken as part of a conversation with the dealer that cover wasn't sitting correctly. They wound up replacing the clamps, under warranty, and it fits tighter now.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
On my 2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman Power Wagon the distance between my wheel wells is 51" with the 6'4" bed. With the Ram box it would be cut down to 48.1" between the wheel wells. For my ranch supplies the wider bed allows for some loads such as hog panels (heavy gauge steel fencing) to be stacked high and have them all lay flat. The Tractor Supply ones come in 8' by 50". The extra inch of the bed width gives just enough wiggle room to get them in and out easily. Fit perfectly with the tailgate down.

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
In my Avalanche, I keep tow straps, Rachel straps, jumper cables, 4way, hatchet, and a few other things. The Avalanche pockets are smaller than the Ram's.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Every camper shell I have had on both dodge and ford have leaked. I don’t believe you will find anything better than 99%.
Not talking camper shells. For those I believe you are correct. I’m talking tonneau covers. Three trucks over 17 years all with Undercover tonneau covers. Countless car washes, thunderstorms the occasional blizzard when traveling for Christmas and hundreds of thousands of miles. Never a drop of water, or snowflake, has gotten through. The only issue is dust on a rock road that comes through the gaps on the bottom and sides of the tailgate. Have not found a good tailgate seal yet. No evidence of dust getting through the tonneau’s seal though.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not talking camper shells. For those I believe you are correct. I’m talking tonneau covers. Three trucks over 17 years all with Undercover tonneau covers. Countless car washes, thunderstorms the occasional blizzard when traveling for Christmas and hundreds of thousands of miles. Never a drop of water, or snowflake, has gotten through. The only issue is dust on a rock road that comes through the gaps on the bottom and sides of the tailgate. Have not found a good tailgate seal yet. No evidence of dust getting through the tonneau’s seal though.
This is not possible without a hermetically sealed truck bed. It's likely that any water that gets in evaporates before you notice it. Claim it all you want, the only person you're convincing is yourself.

mjbenedict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Someone brought up camper shell because they didn't like how tonneaus leaked. Not every reply refers to just your post.

Panarama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well a rainy, 1000mile, 2 week getaway. And I had some leaks. Seems I didn't place the trifold cover perfectly. And my seals are starting to "walk" out of line. I'll admit to you guys that my truck stays indoors most of the time. And rarely gets driven. But I have driven in some severe thunderstorms and flash floods (Florida! ) with only the corners by the tailgate showing water intrusion. But I discovered everytime I open the tailgate after a rain shower, I get doused with water . Seems the rear seal of the cover, combined with the deep dish/whale tail top of tailgate hold much water. This sucks! I lost count of how many times it got me....

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another vote for the Rambox. Cleaning supplies, towels, jumper cables, towing supplies, hitch, etc. So much that would clutter up the cab.

Unfortunately my next Ram won't have them as I'll be putting a camper on the bed.

JUICEBOX

I don't read the script. The script reads me.
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I dont use mine but I like the lines they create.

32blownhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Can you lock the Ram Boxes so they don't lock/unlock with the door locks? Like a trunk? Or do they always lock/unlock with the doors?

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Water can get through from the sides and bottom of the tailgate on any truck bed type, so I'm calling BS on anyone claiming to have a 100% water tight bed cover unless you completely seal the tailgate to the bed. My Truxedo LoPro cover (Rambox version) keeps my bed dry everywhere except for the rear corners in the tailgate area when it rains. When I go through the car wash there are a few drops in each corner up front too. I don't usually put anything in the bed of the truck if I'm worried about it getting wet, so I'm not really concerned about water intrusion. If I had a need to have a water tight cargo area I'd have bought an SUV or a van.

Absolutely....I had RamBoxes and a Bakflip tri-fold and it was the closest thing to watertight you can expect...Traces of water would be around the tailgate after heavy rain but never puddling.

IMG_2178.JPG

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you lock the Ram Boxes so they don't lock/unlock with the door locks? Like a trunk? Or do they always lock/unlock with the doors?

You could unhook the wire to the lock actuator and just use the key.
The Rambox, and tailgate are on the lock unlock circuit, so they normally lock and unlock with the doors

But you can open it with the key and leave the truck locked if you prefer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Panarama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought there were lock control options on the touch screen? Or is it only horn chirp and lights?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I thought there were lock control options on the touch screen? Or is it only horn chirp and lights?
Not that I've seen. Doesn't mean they aren't there, but if they are they are well hidden deep within.

Also, my Ram Box has never leaked.
Not sure who you are directing this at, but no one is saying the ram boxes can't be leak free.

Last edited:

Panarama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My ramboxes have never leaked. But my trifold cover can have tiny leaks if not fitted just right.