Will lift and tires void fatory warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtruelove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have a 2018 ram 3500 dwr I was just wondering if I put a 3-6 inch lift and 35 inch tires if I would void fatory warranty. Has anyone had this problem?

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
No. There is no such thing as "voiding the factory warranty". Look up info on Magnuson Moss if interested. They could conceivably deny a claim if the modification was the actual/specific cause of the particular issue. They can not blanket deny all warranty claims due to a modification.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Nah they can’t deny all warranty. But you can dang sure run into say.... trans goes out. A dealer could darn well say it’s the tires that caused it. Some dealers won’t. Best bet is talk to the dealer you will be using and try and see what they feel about it. Sucks dealers pull games!

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Nah they can’t deny all warranty. But you can dang sure run into say.... trans goes out. A dealer could darn well say it’s the tires that caused it. Some dealers won’t. Best bet is talk to the dealer you will be using and try and see what they feel about it. Sucks dealers pull games!

^^^ This ^^^

The modification to your truck must be directly responsible for the malfunction or casualty. That being said, it is quite often a judgement call by the dealer/service manager. Being a judgement call, there is always room to move to another dealership or up chain and take the issue beyond that actual dealership. As others have mentioned, the Magnuson Moss act of 1975 is helpful, but the gist of the act is more to prevent FCA from forcing you to buy Mopar parts vice alternative aftermarket parts that meet all specifications. It really doesn't apply to aftermarket parts that change the operation, configuration or performance of the car. It's a bit of a gray area.

This link describes it fairly well: http://lehtoslaw.com/will-modifications-void-new-car-warranty/

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
No. There is no such thing as "voiding the factory warranty". Look up info on Magnuson Moss if interested. They could conceivably deny a claim if the modification was the actual/specific cause of the particular issue. They can not blanket deny all warranty claims due to a modification.
While I love the fact that someone besides me understands the difference between voiding a warranty and having a warranty claim denied, your post isn’t entirely true. There are a very few list of things in the warranty manual that specifically state what can and will void all warranties on the vehicle. It’s been a while since I looked it up, but I believe frame modifications was one of them if memory serves.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
While I love the fact that someone besides me understands the difference between voiding a warranty and having a warranty claim denied, your post isn’t entirely true. There are a very few list of things in the warranty manual that specifically state what can and will void all warranties on the vehicle. It’s been a while since I looked it up, but I believe frame modifications was one of them if memory serves.
So if I decide to chop my 8’ bed down to a 5’7” bed you’re saying my warranty will be void lolololol.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

there is no way they can deny or void the warranty if you do a lift kit, they offer a mopar accessorie 2" and 4" lift kit to be put on by the dealer or yourself. now i would guess if the dealer didnt do then there might be an issue but that could be a hell of a fight

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the Mopar extended warranty will not cover any damage from a lift over 2”.

2018 Ram 1500
Sent from my phone (ignore typos)

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
there is no way they can deny or void the warranty if you do a lift kit, they offer a mopar accessorie 2" and 4" lift kit to be put on by the dealer or yourself. now i would guess if the dealer didnt do then there might be an issue but that could be a hell of a fight
I never said they would?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Dont worry about your warranty. Everything that happens to your truck will be considered normal by most dealers and not under warranty anyway

That's funny right there....Funny, but true....

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never said they would?

well be as though the thread title says will a lift void my warranty, and you responded with this ,There are a very few list of things in the warranty manual that specifically state what can and will void all warranties on the vehicle. It’s been a while since I looked it up, but I believe frame modifications was one of them if memory serves. pretty sure you did

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
well be as though the thread title says will a lift void my warranty, and you responded with this ,There are a very few list of things in the warranty manual that specifically state what can and will void all warranties on the vehicle. It’s been a while since I looked it up, but I believe frame modifications was one of them if memory serves. pretty sure you did
Reading comprehension > you

I directly quoted a poster that said NOTHING completely voids a warranty, and I was pointing out that that fact is not true, and then gave an example of something that does. Frame modifications are not at all the same as suspension work. I never mentioned or even hinted at the fact that suspension work voids a warranty, because it doesn’t.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Reading comprehension > you

I directly quoted a poster that said NOTHING completely voids a warranty, and I was pointing out that that fact is not true, and then gave an example of something that does. Frame modifications are not at all the same as suspension work. I never mentioned or even hinted at the fact that suspension work voids a warranty, because it doesn’t.
He must write news for cnn:anitoof: I saw what ya said lmao

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just one quick question---You might want to see how many of the "warranty experts" here are willing to or have volunteered to pay your legal bills if you end up in a long extended fight with FCA over a warranty claim. I think 22Hemi has the right idea of talking to your local service manager/service writer to see what their attitude is regarding mod's on your truck while still under warranty. I'd try it the easy way before getting into a battle with a giant corporation with a whole slew of lawyers just waiting for something to do.
Jay

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Ask your service department. They all vary. Each has a different working relationship with their local FCA reps. For example, my dealer sells lifted RAM’s on 37’s. Their response when I asked was, “unless you bring in something bigger than what you see out there you won’t have a problem”... The next dealer I spoke to stuck with the 2” lift, one tire size up standard.. Everyone’s personal experience will differ by dealer. Roll the dice

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My dealer did warranty work on my 1500 2nd gen that had an 8” lift & 37” tires & now on my 2500 4th gen with a leveling kit & 35”s.

if your trans goes out, you snap an axle shaft, bust a ring gear, odds are good your claim will be denied. A/C stops working, or radio quits, youre okay.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
My warranty says any non-mopar frame parts will void the warranty. Mopar does offer leveling and smaller lift kits. I would think you would be OK going to the largest tire size offered in any OEM pkg. Such as a Rebel comes with 33" tires, Power Wagon has upsized tires, etc.

qxbuzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500
Engine
I had a 2017 Sport that was lifted and whenever it was in for any recall or warranty, all they ever said was that they liked it. Of course, I didn’t have any lift related issues.