Will my dogs sufficate in the bed of the truck with a tonneau?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
Not to beat a dead dog, er horse, but my only concern is with the lack of air circulation in the bed with the tonneau cover on there. Like others have said, I'd be concerned of exhaust fumes getting in there with little to no way of getting the toxic air out.

My labs rode in the back of my truck all the time, but it was an open bed.

OP
OP
B

bmcfiv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OR you could just put an battery operated fan in the bed. BOOM, Airflow

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
how bout we put your ass in the bed of my truck. 90 degree day. lock the tonneau. find a nice twisty mountain road.
we'll see how you fare. sound good?

Don't tempt me with a good time!

KPietriyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like the joke says: Lock your wife, your best friend and your dog in the trunk of the car for 30 minutes, and see which one's glad to see you when you open the lid.

OP
OP
B

bmcfiv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@beau... hahah, seriously love it like those in / out window fans. hell, maybe i'll rig up an a/c unit to boot. and for your other comment, fking hysterical!

@silly sweet dog / human reversal, got me!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank ya thank ya

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bmcfiv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
pics of the traumatized dogs

two day solo camping on the blue ridge
09.14.2015-19.48.png

the jack biting the neck off my buddy's dog in nags head
09.14.2015-19.54.png

lab dock diving in cville
09.14.2015-19.50.png

lab diving into snake and gator infested sc pond
09.14.2015-19.51.png

Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no problem with dogs riding in the bed of the truck roaming free. I have a 130 pound bull mastiff and she enjoys the wind blowing in her face and will just lay down when she isn't up to standing and letting the wind blow in her face. No crate and no topper, just an open bed.
That being said, I don't think it's a good idea at all, to leave them in the bed with tonneau fully closed. If folded up (if you have a trifold) I don't see that being an issue, but not fully closed regardless of what you rig for airflow or monitoring.

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Heres my poor traumatized boy fresh outta the bed of my truck on his ride to the park
IMG_20150826_204752.jpg

OP
OP
B

bmcfiv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@ivy lmao... great looking german shepard! we used to have a german german shepard, flatter back compared to the american type and not as intimidating. great dogs, they didn't seem to mind abuse or neglect at all so i'm sure your's is happy.

alright, back to work fml

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
There is a difference between an open bed versus a bed that is sealed shut with a tonneau cover.

Half the people in this thread seem to think a dog riding in the bed is taboo all together.

His parents were imported from germany bred for police work, he just has a massive over bite so he was "unusable" and since the kennel owner was a family friend I picked him up for $150. Not a bad deal on such a good dog

OP
OP
B

bmcfiv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
alright, i'm done, i'm sick of listening to all the animal rights people. to those that did contribute much appreciated. i'm going to do one of the following:

1) throw them in there and slam the door... if it's less than 80 degrees and after personally testing this weekend with car on in the sun in the middle of the day for two hours. shouldn't be too bad, i have a good book (Ring of Blood: How to Train a Champion Dog Fighter, Russian Version with a foreword by Micheal Vick) i'll wedge some wood between the gate and cover just to make sure the air flow is adequate. i'll research bed lights next.

2) buy a porous tail gate door, leave the gate down, and close the tonneau. the hitch tube idea could be cool but a pain in the ass to put together. anyone have gate recommendations?

3) buy two winterized dog kennels and strap them on top of the tonneau... just thought of that, maybe not a bad idea, certainly less painful than what mitt romney did.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm surprised the moderators haven't pulled this thread. It's totally unrelated to Ram Exterior forum topics. Good effort on getting people to bite. I'm sure there are animal forums you could post on.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Tonneau open or don't take them. You're a sick **** if you leave them under the tonneau cover.

Only way my dog gets to ride in the truck is if he's hurt or very sick and I'm taking him to the vet. Otherwise he's in the box tied in so he can't jump out.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk