Will my dogs sufficate in the bed of the truck with a tonneau?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bmcfiv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The dog would likely die of carbon monoxide poisoning if you have rear exhaust and no tailgate seal at the bottom. The luggage carrier on the hitch looks pretty lame as well. I guess if you don't get rear ended the dog made out well sitting back their in the exhaust and road spray.

thx, good call on tailgate seal, already have that fortunately

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I think a hemeticly sealed bubble secured in the back of the bed with multiple airbags , some type of hepa room air filter, plentiful supply of water and food all enclosed in a roll cage , and you must have a vet ride along just in case of emergency , and then only for a short trip limiting your speed to 25 mph with your 4 way flashers on

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
we have a vigilante on our hands lol

around here police encourage people to save pets locked in cars. last year a guy destroyed him arm breaking a car window to save a dog and he even got some medal for it while the owner of the dog got a big fine and like 2 years probation

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I must have missed the memo about dogs riding in the back of trucks , my dog missed it to , if I leave without him and it's not raining cats and dogs he will whine and wonder why I'm being mean not taking him along .
Now locking dogs under a tonnou cover , cmon that can't be serious not for any extended trip

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Why don't you buy a used truck cap for this trip and future trips? Just take it off when you're dine with it. That way your stuff keeps dry and you can open the rear window for air. Plus you could open the rear window (if you have one) so your kids could pet the dogs if they want. Sounds like a win win to me.

Doesn't need to be pretty.. this one is $200, I'm sure you could fine a cheap one local to you.

http://m.kijiji.ca/other-auto-parts...1101385883&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1442373487136

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the bed caps from experience doesn't have much airflow even with the windows open, s i'll be pretty much the same situation

OP
OP
B

bmcfiv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why don't you buy a used truck cap for this trip and future trips? Just take it off when you're dine with it. That way your stuff keeps dry and you can open the rear window for air. Plus you could open the rear window (if you have one) so your kids could pet the dogs if they want. Sounds like a win win to me.

good idea and i almost went there, but i went with a tonneau instead because i take it on and off so frequently. when in country i take off my tonneau and throw benches in bed for group deer / hog / turkey scouting, beer drinking and leisurely cruising around with friends and family... see threads below. next time i'm out i'll take pics and post, the benches are great albeit heavy.

http://www.ramforum.com/f38/secure_benches_beer_drinking_scouting_bed-72023/

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/help_noob_buy_tonneau-72025/

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
op is still asking the question, hasn't just gone outside and tested it himself, doesn't understand the difference in people being against completely enclosing a hot and potentially poisonous truck bed, and thinks a PETA mob is personally at him for no reason

this has to be a very weird and elaborate joke

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
op is still asking the question, hasn't just gone outside and tested it himself, doesn't understand the difference in people being against completely enclosing a hot and potentially poisonous truck bed, and thinks a PETA mob is personally at him for no reason

this has to be a very weird and elaborate joke

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

This is not directed so much to the OP but many people just do not see dogs as anything other than a tool just as much a shovel or lawn mower in a shed is useful to them. As such, they treat them accordingly the same as they would any other tool.

Having grown up and lived in the South for many years, I have seen people that have a passel of working dogs for ****, rabbit, duck and deer hunting seasons that transport their dogs in contraptions that would make what the OP is suggesting look like the Hilton in terms of accommodations.

Last edited:

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those that have their dogs ride in an open bed. There is an attempt to make it illegal for dogs to ride in an open bed. I haven't checked my state to see if it's now law. BUT it is illegal to have unsecured loads in a bed of a truck. So it is ticket able. So some use a harness and tie down. I've never drove with my pets in pickup bed. Nor have I ever placed any other family member in there for a road trip. I travel with my dog he loves to go. He travels in a crate in the cab, rear seat. I don't have to worry and he's as comfortable and safe as I.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Op,
If you cover the bed exhaust fumes will build up in there.
Just for your info:

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs after enough inhalation of carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas, but, being colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating, it is very difficult for people to detect. Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion of organic matter due to insufficient oxygen supply to enable complete oxidation to carbon dioxide (CO2). It is often produced in domestic or industrial settings by motor vehicles that run on gasoline, diesel, methane, or other carbon-based fuels and from tools, gas heaters, and cooking equipment that are powered by carbon-based fuels such as propane, butane and charcoal. Exposure at 100 ppm or greater can be dangerous to human health.[1]

Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

preachp

BLKMAGIC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're a *************. You shouldnt own dogs if you think this would be proper treatment. If the heat or blows to the head from being shaken around doesnt kill them, the exhaust fumes will.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
bmcfiv @zane8000 agreed said:
Are you one of those dog owners that feel they must take their dogs EVERYWHERE they go. To the store, coffee shop, Home Depot, pharmacy, etc? My uncle is like that with his little lap,dog and it drives me nuts. Is there a reason your dog must go if space in the truck is limited?

You said you will have the families luggage in the 5'7" bed along with two dogs. Sounds tight to me and not to mention if you have to brake hard or make an evasive manuver you luggage could **** with a lot of force and crush you dogs, especially the small one.

Flip your tonneau up. Use two crates and put your luggage in contractor trash bags. If the weather is bad leave at a different time to avoid the storms. I just think you idea as you stated is foolish.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Blows to the head from being tossed around the bed of the truck? Wtf?? Some one has apparently tried drifting with their pet or some life form in their bed and it didn't turn out so well. So how many people have had their dogs in the bed of their truck and their dog was beaten to death from getting slammed around because they drive like a *******?? " hear that??" Silence (NO ONE DOES you retard) - I applaud you op for having the balls to ask this question" But this is the Internet and you can't just get all the reasonable good responses. My dog loves ridding in the bed of the truck-

getupkid

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I can't believe what I'm reading. Would you throw your kids in the bed and lock them in? Hell no! Even if you have them in a pvc cage, if someone hits you that pvc is going to break and kill your dog. If you love your dogs as you say, either treat it like someone with common sense would and put her in the cab with a harness or pay someone to watch her when your gone. What's worse is your actually asking the question, means that you actually have some common sense, use it! Our pets are part of the family, treat them like it. Why don't you jump back there and have someone drive around for 2 hours without checking on you and let us know if it works...