Will seat covers interfere with air bags?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
Hi, maybe a stupid question but where are the airbags on a 2017 ram crew cab? Are there any airbags inside the seats?

I just put on Clazzio very tight fitting seat covers, now I'm wondering if there is an airbag inside the side of the seat or anything that these could be containing.

side note, the clazzio seat covers are pretty unbelievable. Really impressed with the quality

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think they would interfere with the airbags. They may however save a huge stain on your OEM seats when the air bags go off.
Jay

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
With the seat covers you need to get the ones marked For Use With Air Bags ! They have a pop out section on the sides for the air bags to break through In the option section for the

seat covers there should be a listing asking if it has air bags ! You have to really look to see the flap :)

24255-1496884861-956b2b727fce17163a975420ebf5b6ae.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So there is an airbag in the seat?

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow really wish I looked in to this before install.

I suppose I will contact clazzio and ask.

Right now, when I run through the website as I did to order. There is no mention of airbags at all. Perhaps they are all air bag compatible now?

In the FAQ on Clazzio:

When I install Clazzio, what will happen to the side impact airbag?

We use thread designed for the side impact airbag. It has been proven that Clazzio does not have any effect on the deployment of the side impact airbag. See Video

With the seat covers you need to get the ones marked For Use With Air Bags ! They have a pop out section on the sides for the air bags to break through In the option section for the

seat covers there should be a listing asking if it has air bags ! You have to really look to see the flap :)

View attachment 154977

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Should be on your build sheet and If I remember right there is a tag on the seat on the door side saying seat air bags ! I am going from memory and I am a Crusty Old Fart so I may be wrong :O

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Wow really wish I looked in to this before install.

I suppose I will contact clazzio and ask.

Right now, when I run through the website as I did to order. There is no mention of airbags at all. Perhaps they are all air bag compatible now?

In the FAQ on Clazzio:

When I install Clazzio, what will happen to the side impact airbag?

We use thread designed for the side impact airbag. It has been proven that Clazzio does not have any effect on the deployment of the side impact airbag. See Video
That is good to know ! From what I heard the power of the air bag would bust through the material. I ordered mine a couple years ago and have the flap .
Just read that thanks for the link ! You are right they now use that special weaker thread to make deployment of bag easier ! Good to know

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I get a chance I'll prob post some photos and install tips while they are fresh in my mind. The thought of removing these... Oh God no.

Im a Carpenter so I'm used to working with with my hands all day, but these were HARD. Did it alone, took 4.5 hours, talk about a tight fit holy cow. My hands are all beat up and bleeding haha. Muscles I've never felt before in my arms. Definitely would use a helper next time... Or go to my nearest sweat shop

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would like to see the pictures
Jay

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used katzkin covers, not sure if Clazzio work the same but the katzkins you need to completely remove the cloth first and the leather goes in their place.

The stock seat covers have a nylon pouch where the side airbag module goes into. The airbag module itself has 2 studs that bolt to the inner frame of the seat back. I had to transfer the module from the original cloth covers to the new leather ones which also had the same pouch stitched in.

While I was in the middle of installing the leather covers, the module itself sat far off in an unused corner of my basement with the bag portion aimed down, parallel with the ground, in case it happened to deploy. I carried it the same way so it wouldnt deploy out of my hand and into my face.

If they were made for it, my guess would be that there is a "weak point" in the cover right where the airbag is expected to exit. The issue wouldnt be IF the airbags can pop through the cover, I think the issue would be if they pop through with the correct amount of force and with the correct timing to actually be useful. A little extra material could technically slow the bag down but maybe its not enough to matter.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have the Cover Craft Neo Supreme Seat Covers so they stretch and go on easy ! BUT If I ever go with replacement The Cat Skins for sure

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
All the crew cabs I have seen have airbags in the seats, now granted I only looked at 2017 and newer 2500 or 3500. However its a little late now but they have a little tag in the stitching on the outer shoulder.

Most seat covers have airbags in mind these days.

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I asked Clazzio about the airbags. This is their speedy response.

Thank you for contacting us! I'm glad that safety is on your list of priorities. On any vehicle that has seat airbags as an option, our seat covers are designed to work with the air bags. We make our covers the same way that auto manufacturers make their seats- with "Exploding Thread". This thread is designed to break under EXTREME stress.

There's only one thing that you need to do to make sure you'll be safe in the event of a crash with our seat covers in your truck. You'll need to make sure that you put the right parts on the right seats. The seat parts come with part numbers (and a diagram) dictating what part goes where.

Check out the link for a short youtube video showing our seat covers working with airbags!

Thank you,

The Clazzio Team
855-CLAZZIO
855-252-9946

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine