Will the troubles keep coming?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeffoxford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 hemi
Good morning all, my question is, will I continue to have issues with my hemi? Right now I’m at 64k and the manifolds are being replaced, I’m have some electrical issues and now I’m worried about the dreaded lifter/cam failure. I take care of my truck, change the oil at 4k and use penzoil ultra platinum 5w/20 with a Napa gold filter. I’m scared that it will leave stranded. I’m your opinions, am I okay or just being paranoid lol
What is year of truck? My cam and lifters went at 105,000 Dodge knew of cam failures

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Good morning all, my question is, will I continue to have issues with my hemi? Right now I’m at 64k and the manifolds are being replaced, I’m have some electrical issues and now I’m worried about the dreaded lifter/cam failure. I take care of my truck, change the oil at 4k and use penzoil ultra platinum 5w/20 with a Napa gold filter. I’m scared that it will leave stranded. I’m your opinions, am I okay or just being paranoid lol
I have a 17 BigHorn 5.7. 116,000 miles and really no real issues. IMO it's the "luck of the draw". I change oil around 6,000, and pretty much go by the owners manual for things that need to be done. I bought the MOPAR 84 month extended warranty unlimited miles, $100. deductible. Had a starter replaced. It does sometimes have a tick sound once in a while but goes away right away. It's odd that the cam and manifold issues happen and to what 5.7 engine. I am getting prepared to have the fluids changed in the axels, Transmission , transfer case at 120,000 miles. I do not tow even though I have the 392 gear ratio. I use Pennzoil and the engine uses less that 1/2 a quart in 6,000, i would not be too concerned if it used a quart every 4,000 miles. I am pleased with our RAM. But doubt I could afford a new one. To buy one equipped like mine it would run $63,000. and that is more that $23,000 than I paid for my 17 RAM.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
All trucks are going to have issues. I think you are just worrying yourself over nothing. I would say DO NOT TRADE IT RIGHT NOW! The entire auto market is collapsing, and you will be in the hole screwed if you do anything now.

If the lifters worry you, they are a genuine concern if you idle a lot of don't change fluids etc... but that doesn't sound like you. Go ahead and keep driving her and save up for a Jasper rebuilt motor eventually. They are upgraded and bulletproof. You have a Gen 4 2018! Parts are plentiful. They are easy to work on. They were still selling so well and so reliable, they became the 1500 Classic for a reason.

I actually had to argue and EXPLAIN to MOPAR customer care... what ETORQUE WAS! Welcome to Gen 5 life.

Don't let panic set in because time has just got the best of some things. Between the **** trade in values, high interest and dealers refusing to adjust stock down to REALISTIC prices... prices that are falling like bricks off a roof! There is absolutely NO WAY you are going to get a better deal than you have now. You will just end up paying for something newer that was built with leftovers and scraps from other trucks... so it could sit in a field being eaten by mice until they could find a buyer.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The entire auto market is collapsing, and you will be in the hole screwed if you do anything now.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think if the market is 'collapsling' a guy would be better off selling now (High) ..wait a few months (drive a low-cost beater), then buy a new truck, or real low mile used one, when they come out with a pile of incentives.

But I thought the pickup market would collapse when gas went over $5/gal. And so far it hasn't. It doesn't seem like chip shortages will go away anytime soon (completely).

Markets go up and down ..eventually it will change as you say. I always wish my timing was better.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have had 3 Hemi's, only problem I ever had was a chev driver looking at a phone instead of the road and totaled my 2 nd last one, Never We are paying about 1.60-2.00/ liter for full and 2/3 of the autos around here are 1/2tons. I never had huge mileage on any of them, retired now, so my 2014 is only at 80KM. only time in for service is recall or oils service, the brakes soon.
Still on originals, never had a lifter go, and never had to do manifolds or bolts.
Maybe stop reading these posts if you are that worried about it.

OP
OP
Tom Williams

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have considered trading but I’m in a pretty good spot financially with this truck. I got the manifolds replaced with shorty headers and it feels like a different truck. I’m just going to go with the flow and drive it till the wheels fall off.

Crawgator59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2017 Ram Rebel with 102k miles. No issue with truck except the air suspension. Had it removed a few weeks ago after it crapped out for the 2nd time. and replaced it with 2” leveling kit. Also pull a 24’ bay boat and the truck pulls it very good

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I don't care what vehicle you drive troubles will come, it is written in a book somewhere, nope not the owners manual. Get a uoa, it will reveal how heavy your internals are wearing. Lubegard biotech is some insurance as molybdenum is gonna help that lifter to rise. You mentioned oil, but shelf oil doesnt help metal to rise in the case of lifter tick, that is the function of additives that stay on the surface of metals function, not the base oil. If you have tick if anything else, ram forum has proven those oils do not have adequate additives to keep that metal rising w/o tick. Heavy additives will in most ram trucks with hemi tick. real the hemi tick threads, but also the amazon reviews, engines across the board lose that tick at a high level.
uh, I thought Liqui Moly was the way to go. What;s changed?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
uh, I thought Liqui Moly was the way to go. What;s changed?
Liqui moly is old technology, it is powdered moly in suspension, sticks to itself and everything else and gels up in the sump. While it is effective, there is plenty of negative aspects of that product. Lubegard biotech is oil soluble tri nuclear moly, mo-DTC, not only doesnt carry the same negative effects of mos2, but it is also much better at lowering the co-efficient of friction. 75ppm mo-DTC = 200ppm mos2. Can't say where that is in syn thread, but several spots in syn thread that science is posted. I'm not saying never use mos2, but I certainly would use biotech first if I was battling hemi tick, or if I just wanted extra moly for my cam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye