Will Upgrading My 8.4 Radio to the UAQ version fix my climate control issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013 RAM 1500 Laramie with ATC and factory 8.4 Radio.

I have posted several things concerning this issue on the forum already, and am no closer to achieving a solution.

Long story, short; the HVAC soft keys on radio do not respond correctly or at all when selected. Temperature selection is random as well.
I have replaced HVAC module, blend door actuators, center stack controls, updated radio firmware, had it to the dealership twice with no concrete solution.

So, before I drop a bunch more money on a new radio, will the new radio even address the problem? Or is it a shot in the dark?

Thoughts?

dh

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

I have posted several things concerning this issue on the forum already, and am no closer to achieving a solution.

Long story, short; the HVAC soft keys on radio do not respond correctly or at all when selected. Temperature selection is random as well.
I have replaced HVAC module, blend door actuators, center stack controls, updated radio firmware, had it to the dealership twice with no concrete solution.

So, before I drop a bunch more money on a new radio, will the new radio even address the problem? Or is it a shot in the dark?

Thoughts?

dh

My RAM and my Chrysler 300 do this, yeah, it’s slow, but that’s because it’s a car radio. I wouldn’t bother upgrading it if that’s the only thing you’re looking to fix, but if you want a **** ton of more features than look into the UAQ. Otherwise stay with the 8.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
darleyhavidson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My RAM and my Chrysler 300 do this, yeah, it’s slow, but that’s because it’s a car radio. I wouldn’t bother upgrading it if that’s the only thing you’re looking to fix, but if you want a **** ton of more features than look into the UAQ. Otherwise stay with the 8.4.

I am not sure what you mean by "slow". But, in my case I don't get heat when and where I. want it. For example, it was 8 degrees outside yesterday. The HVAC was blowing heat at windshield and cold air at feet. Not at all what is supposed to be occurring if I select panel vents using soft key on the 8.4

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I am not sure what you mean by "slow". But, in my case I don't get heat when and where I. want it. For example, it was 8 degrees outside yesterday. The HVAC was blowing heat at windshield and cold air at feet. Not at all what is supposed to be occurring if I select panel vents using soft key on the 8.4

Sorry, i posted that when i was tired.

I don’t think what you’re experiencing is normal, but i’m not quite sure what could be wrong in the same sentence. It could be the radio, as sometimes mine has random hiccups like what you’re experiencing and just refuses at all to work.

OP
OP
darleyhavidson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, i posted that when i was tired.

I don’t think what you’re experiencing is normal, but i’m not quite sure what could be wrong in the same sentence. It could be the radio, as sometimes mine has random hiccups like what you’re experiencing and just refuses at all to work.

No worries. Just wondering if I should stick with the factory 8.4 as a replacement or get the UAQ. If I go with the standard 8.4 I may run into the same problems down the road. But, the UAQ might have its own set of problems.

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7

Thoughts?

dh
Do you have alpha obd by Chance ?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Do the hard buttons work correctly?

OP
OP
darleyhavidson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the hard buttons work correctly?

Yes, in the sense that they change functions. But once any of the radio soft buttons are selected the damage is already done and no matter what hard button you select, it is 50/50 if the correct function will happen.

My coworker has a newer RAM 1500 that allows him to cycle through vent selection locations using hard buttons and never has to use the screen. My 2013 does not have that capability.