WIN module woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuartinBakerLake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hi all! I am new here and looking for so help/advice/info.
I am a fleet mechanic in Baker Lake, Nunavut, Canada. My supply of parts is very limited, and anything I need that we don't have on site has to be flown in by plane from Winnipeg. Most of my parts deliveries take at least two weeks.
That being said, my current concern is with one of my 2012 Ram 1500's. It's a 4.7L and I am having what seems to be the usual problems with the WIN module.
The question is, can I swap a key, WIN and PCM as a matched set from another truck without programming?
I have two dead 12's in my yard waiting for engines, and I'm short on running trucks here.
Sorry if this topic has been covered previously.
Thank you all for any and all replies.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember seeing a post some time ago about repairing the WIN module by desoldering a few pins on thru-mounted electronic components, pulling the board, cleaning the brush contacts and reassembling - not sure if that would help you at all, sorry I don't have anything else on it just trying to get you a couple meters down the road . Cheers

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You will likely need that flashed regardless, but how about just bypassing it all together? Set up a push button start and leave it under dash, the win will just be a dummy ignition, sound good?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Someone would have to know about this to start it, but also you can hook up a wire break anti theft device if you wanted to this push button ram, use cig lighter relay, it is only hot with power.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

You can use a Quick Solderless Wire Splice Connector if you want to make the push button your carry away key. There is no way someone would see that and know it is your ignition, or how to make it start the truck.

OP
OP
S

StuartinBakerLake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Thanks for the replies so far.
I did try desoldering & cleaning inside the module. It worked for about ten minutes then quit altogether.
I grabbed the WIN, FOBIK and PCM from one of my other trucks and it seems to be working.
The DTCM is reporting a VIN mismatch, but I don't think that's going to much of an issue.
I'm going to drive it around for a few days and see how it goes.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When your are able to get a new WIN its easy to replace and just as easy to program if you have a scanner that programs keys or know someone who does it can most likely program a new WIN . I paid $150 for a win and $40 to program it myself using a matco maxme scanner i had laying around.