Winch bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe_Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am looking at trying to get a full replacement winch capable bumper for my 2018 Ram 1500.

I currently have a Westin brush guard and winch tray. It works but it is not what I want.

Now and do have a couple of requirements, 1) it needs to be less than or close to $2000. I'm not paying 4-5 grand for a bumper. 2) I do not want my truck to have a fat lip. Most of the winch bumpers I am finding have this ******** lip look. There is way more than enough room for the winch to fit within the frame.

I would consider the idea of one of the hidden winch plates from the company out of Canada, but I want a stouter front bumper as well with tow points etc.

Has anyone tried using one of the hidden winch plates with an aftermarket bumper that was not designed for a winch?

I am having a hard time finding what I am looking for. So, I implore the Ram community for some assistance.0c42c7486d9ae247e699eff4a7c39833.jpg

sent from a device using an app

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Comes stock on my Power Wagon, try looking into changing over the front 1500 front hood and such over to the 2500 I saw it somewhere as a mod and it included all stock parts so you could feasibly junkyard hop for the parts. Do a little research I’m sure you'll find some info in that to help you out.

OP
OP
J

Joe_Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Comes stock on my Power Wagon, try looking into changing over the front 1500 front hood and such over to the 2500 I saw it somewhere as a mod and it included all stock parts so you could feasibly junkyard hop for the parts. Do a little research I’m sure you'll find some info in that to help you out.
The issue here is when it is all priced out it is well over 2k even from a junk yard.

I would go with the Vice hidden winch mount and a rebel/warlock front end first, there is less fabrication since I have a 1500 not a 25/3500.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you check the swap for the internals. The fenders are the same and I’m thinking it was the upper radiator support and the grill surround and they threw a front bumper, hood and light’s on it. I was thinking just doing the internal change for the rad support and grill would net you room for a winch mount and a stock 2500 front bumper? Just thought.

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The problem there is insufficient stock on the base bumpere52878d461bbeb1f4aebc9bf92494954.jpg

I’m Watching for these online too. Diesel Performance has the. So does Ok4WD. Only the AEV Site shows the lowered price.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not many options out there in the price range. I thought about it for months researching all kind of choices for a few months myself but decided to settle down with the Chassis Unlimited one because it's made in USA plus I doubt there is anything else out there with less of a chin for the same price and weight unless you go full custom.

The bumper has a modular design so the box you get is super compact I remember the package size from my ICI throphy bumper. Delivered by a freigth carrier, had to arrange delivery and they needed a forklift to put the box inside my garage. I can't ship it anywhere now that I'm selling it cause the size of the box I need exceeds what the normal carriers can take so I need to arrange a freigth company to pick it up for more money or drive it myself to a special shipping location 30 miles from where I live.The damn thing only weights 85lbs. I can only imagine transporting the 200-250lbs bumpers same size :)

Chassis unlimited is only 95lbs, I went light with the winch as well Smittybilt Comp 12K lbs , so the total weight in the nose is 150lbs. If you go with steel rope you could be looking at 200lbs total easy. Bumper has a couple of welded HD clevis mounts so you can install d-shacles for recovery points and you can lift the truck from there as well with a hi lift jack. Also has provisions for 6 led pods.

My other options were Warn (195lbs bumper only, big chin) or Barricade (made in China, better chin than Warn but still bulky, 95lbs as well)

Prices go higher from here on and most are in 200lbs or so range without the winch. Whiches are 50-100lbs more depending on options.

You can do the hidden winch from Vice but the stock bumper sucks. No clearance and it mounts with a bunch of plastic crap so you'll drag it a lot and is not sturdy enough for trail abuse. Don't waste your money on the factory one unless you're going to use your truck as a street tow vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joe_Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that is pretty much where I ended up with, but I wanted to see if anyone else came up with a different conclusion.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Not many options out there in the price range. I thought about it for months researching all kind of choices for a few months myself but decided to settle down with the Chassis Unlimited one because it's made in USA plus I doubt there is anything else out there with less of a chin for the same price and weight unless you go full custom.

The bumper has a modular design so the box you get is super compact I remember the package size from my ICI throphy bumper. Delivered by a freigth carrier, had to arrange delivery and they needed a forklift to put the box inside my garage. I can't ship it anywhere now that I'm selling it cause the size of the box I need exceeds what the normal carriers can take so I need to arrange a freigth company to pick it up for more money or drive it myself to a special shipping location 30 miles from where I live.The damn thing only weights 85lbs. I can only imagine transporting the 200-250lbs bumpers same size :)

Chassis unlimited is only 95lbs, I went light with the winch as well Smittybilt Comp 12K lbs , so the total weight in the nose is 150lbs. If you go with steel rope you could be looking at 200lbs total easy. Bumper has a couple of welded HD clevis mounts so you can install d-shacles for recovery points and you can lift the truck from there as well with a hi lift jack. Also has provisions for 6 led pods.

My other options were Warn (195lbs bumper only, big chin) or Barricade (made in China, better chin than Warn but still bulky, 95lbs as well)

Prices go higher from here on and most are in 200lbs or so range without the winch. Whiches are 50-100lbs more depending on options.

You can do the hidden winch from Vice but the stock bumper sucks. No clearance and it mounts with a bunch of plastic crap so you'll drag it a lot and is not sturdy enough for trail abuse. Don't waste your money on the factory one unless you're going to use your truck as a street tow vehicle.
Side note, check Fastenal for shipping.....I had huge items shipped to me through them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Check out these guys. With the great exchange rate this should be a great option and they make excellent, strong Bumpers. You see a lot of them on oil patch trucks and if they can stand up to that they can stand up to near anything. They also are relatively light given how strong they are.

1631542550538.png