Winch recovery items

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 30k smittybuilt strap and tree savor, 18k snatch block and I just ordered the a.w.s thimble. I figure I'd give it a shot. What are others using? I know the gold standard is factor 55. I have a few d rings and the original hook in the truck. What else are folks using

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I have a couple rhino USA tow straps and smittybuilt snatch blocks, and Crosby shackles. Kind of a hodge podge, I don't do nearly enough recovery to warrant spending factor 55 money on everything

I do however have a factor 55 ultrahook
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I have a couple rhino USA tow straps and smittybuilt snatch blocks, and Crosby shackles. Kind of a hodge podge, I don't do nearly enough recovery to warrant spending factor 55 money on everything

I do however have a factor 55 ultrahook
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The benefit of being twin locked, swaybar disconnected and badass!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When I changed from a Jeep to a Power Wagon I went through this process, and filled my Ram Box's with recovery gear that was larger and stronger than what I had used for the Jeep. I found that the best quality straps were from ARB. Second best in quality, and a close second, was straps made by Gear America. But the Gear America products were priced much more reasonably than the ARB gear was. Third best, and kind of a distant third in quality, was Warn. Gear America also had some excellent shackles, clevis, snatch blocks.

Right now I have 120' of winch cable, and 180' of recovery straps, which give me 300' of reach, to be able to hook onto something solid enough to extract my truck. I also upgraded to higher capacity shackles, clevis', and snatch block when I changed from a Jeep to a Power Wagon. I like this picture I posted in the other thread that shows a Jeep recovery part vs a Power Wagon recovery part (9,500 lb capacity vs 19,000 lb capacity)

staticflickr.com%2F7873%2F46660051065_930830d23b_h.png

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So I guess this leads me to another question where do you store all of these items....I dont have ram boxes

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I guess this leads me to another question where do you store all of these items....I dont have ram boxes
Floor boxes and bags

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Look up a swing case. That’s what I use to store all my recovery gear. When I’m more sober than I am right now, I’ll list out all the things my swing case carries lol

6B27FB7D-4F7F-4B70-835D-FF3873C5AA98.jpeg

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have most of my gear in the storage boxes in the back seat floor. Only thing I'm worried about is in the event of a (GOD forbid!) roll over accident, all that heavy gear is going to be flying around in the cab. Don't think those plastic latches are going to hold up. Thinking about looking for a low profile tool box to mount in the bed, something fairly secure to deter the @&*$% thieves that seem to be Everywhere nowadays. Any suggestions?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I have most of my gear in the storage boxes in the back seat floor. Only thing I'm worried about is in the event of a (GOD forbid!) roll over accident, all that heavy gear is going to be flying around in the cab. Don't think those plastic latches are going to hold up. Thinking about looking for a low profile tool box to mount in the bed, something fairly secure to deter the @&*$% thieves that seem to be Everywhere nowadays. Any suggestions?
If you go with a chest box. Go good quality ie.. weathergaurd or uws. All those cheaper boxes it don’t take much to pry a lid up. If you want tough go with a a small job box like rigid or something. Those are all steel and use a padlock to lock.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Maybe something like this would be a bit more robust?

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-509-in-floor-storage-lid-ram-4th-gen.aspx

Or maybe even something like this would be tougher than the plastic latch setup?

https://www.autotrucktoys.com/p/mopar-oem-dodge-ram-in-floor-storage-lock/

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Beside the strap and receiver "D" ring, I recently added an "R-T-J" hook set for the cars that don't have an easy place to hook to. I put two sets in the TJ. Next add will be a couple of snatch blocks.

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just got my new stock winch cable....90 feet seems to little in there...but oh well

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just got my new stock winch cable....90 feet seems to little in there...but oh well
You don’t want too much cable. If you’re doing a hard pull to one side, too much cable could bind up on the drum. Also, a winch is stronger the fewer wraps it has on the drum, so if you put too much rope on the winch, you’re limiting its pulling power.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L

I spool an 80’ synthetic rope. If you need more reach, use extensions and keep it off the drum. Less rope on the drum is easier to handle/manage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So what other recovery gear are you guys using, besides straps, shackles, and a clevis? What do you carry as far as a shovel, axe, saw, jack, tire repair items, etc?

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have gotten some good ideas off the power wagons in moab list they require for the trail

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Just added a Factor 55 hitch recovery point and ARB Tree Saver to the arsenal. Here are some of the things I carry. Work gloves, hatchets(double as hammer on back side), recovery strap, safety blanket, tire iron (crossbones style), large clevis, jumper cables. Not seen here, multiple ratchet straps, x-large zip ties, first aid kit, on board air (ARB), air gauge, tire plug kit, tool set, military style folding shovel/pick. I have the OE winch cable and hook. I will probably add a Factor 55 recovery hook to the OE cable up front, snatch block and a bottle jack.482b50c1d7ce62f5b21d3e24dc458636.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3TV

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45