Winch Solenoid Pack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has anyone relocated there winch solenoid pack to a better dryer location? Went to go use my winch last night and it was dead. Plug for the remote was a little corroded from the winter so i cleaned. Still no work. I climbed under and everything looked clean till i pulled off the rubber boots for the connections and they were rusted pretty bad. Pulled the solenoid pack cover and that also didn't look great. Not sure how to keep that clean in the location it is in living here in Minnesota with all the salt and sand all winter. Good thing it wasn't an emergency winch situation unless you call the wife wanting to remove bushes form the yard an emergency...
Question - can you remover the solenoid box from the winch without removing the winch?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good thing it wasn't an emergency winch situation unless you call the wife wanting to remove bushes form the yard an emergency...
Sorry I can’t answer your question but thank you for the laugh, that was hilarious.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i removed the solenoid on my sxs winch and added a wireless remote so i don't see why you can't on the pw warn winch.you will probable have to drop it out to do it tho'.i should have done it to mine when the oem warn **** the bed.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
is the setup on the 19+ different than the 18 and down? I know the winch is different.

OP
OP
TRad

TRad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got the solenoid pack removed and was pretty unimpressed at how unprotested this is from the elements. I try and keep my truck washed and pretty clean even in the winter months. It had a bunch of sand and bugs inside the housing. Would be nice if it was mounted so that you could remove the cover and clean and lubricate every once and awhile.
sol.jpg

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mounted mine under the hood

PXL_20220423_223549006.jpg

OP
OP
TRad

TRad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Found these guys making kits for a relocate.

Think the EVO control box would work with our winch? Looks like a lot cleaned solenoid box design.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
200$ for 50$ worth of cables. Now thats a rip off... LOL.

OP
OP
TRad

TRad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Haha, yes. I was going to ask if they just sold the custom bracket to mount the controller to the fender.

That sticker looks pretty expensive....lol

Last edited:

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
again is the setup different on the newest gen vs the 18 and down?

OP
OP
TRad

TRad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
again is the setup different on the newest gen vs the 18 and down?
I think its an update control pack from Warn since it is a different winch then the 18' and older. It is still mounted on the winch so it will get exposed to the elements down there.

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
Since you already have the solenoid out, you could clean the terminals then protect them with a electrical connector sealant such as;

For the remote plug, I just put a little silicone in there. keeps the contacts from corroding.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think its an update control pack from Warn since it is a different winch then the 18' and older. It is still mounted on the winch so it will get exposed to the elements down there.
Why do these solenoids suck? Maybe I just just lucky. My 18 was perfect and I live in Northern MN. My wheeler gets covered in garbage and is never an issue.

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use NCP2 Battery cleaner and then coat with NCP2 Battery Corrosion Preventative for the solenoid. Put die-electric grease on the winch controller connector.

I also put dielectric grease on the 4 and 7 pin light connectors for the trailer harness also.

OP
OP
TRad

TRad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK, cleaned solenoid pack assembly and all back together. Coated everything with Battery Corrosion spray. Noticed i wasn't getting power to the controller. Found a bent pin in the harness that wasn't allowing a good 12v connection. Guessing i bent it when trying to clean them out. Dodge wants $100 for the harness below...ouch
Was thinking of trying to repair and install a new pin.

1652891468954.png

Last edited:

Aburdett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not sure yet
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just hard wired my controller into the solenoid pack. And then installed a warn wireless setup. Much better.