Window wont roll up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Take the door panel off! if you do not have time to "DIAGNOSE" leave the panel off till you do. You can not fix anything if you do not know what's broke. Not only do you need to hit the bullseye on the dart board, but you need to at least aim for the correct dart board. The more you do the more you learn, you will as a result fix more things yourself, saving labor cost, but can help others also. once you get the panel off ( have a 12 oz. SMALL hammer at the ready). there are two wire that feed power to the window motor. The automatic up and down is internal in the window module. once you find these you can do your first test ( you will need a quality volt/ohm meter. Quality does not mean expensive (expensive ones can be more durable) Harbor freight has a good selection- get one of their better ones and if they have lead extensions get ones long enough to reach the battery ( just like an extension core you use when the living room light is move to the other side of the room. Lets say the wire are blue and black, when you push the button in the window down direction ( one wire will be hot the other the ground - whether the window moves or not) When you cycle the window by putting in the up direction they will be reversed. If this happens take you small hammer and has you hold the button - or someone does- hit the fat part of the motor. If window works you know what is wrong ( brushes worn in motor) Get a new motor or some only come attached to the regulator assembly. If not you have to find out what the electricity is not getting to the motor. The same two wire will be at the switch, test there the same way if it is ok there a wire is broken somewhere (usually where the go thru the door hinges). Good luck electricity is easy.
lesson 2 is how a river is like electricity! Volume of water = amps, Speed of waters movement= volts, number of rocks in the stream= resistance(ohms)
20 minutes of typing for a problem he has already fixed. Despite that it is good advice. Hope it ends up helping someone else.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The explanation would be infinitely easier to read and comprehend if it were divided into paragraphs.

Trying to read a large block of type on a phone is quite challenging for many of us.

At least on a pc, I could follow along with a mouse but I know of many members who won't even attempt reading a large block.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've tried to find this exact problem but wasn't able to. Most of the posts I've seen is about the auto up/down. I have a 2015 and my rear passenger window wont roll up. I tried jostling the connections and that didn't do anything. I tried to manually pull the window up and it only moves a inch or so. Has anyone had this issue before? Due to my work schedule I wont be able to mess with it for a couple days. So ideally someone can tell me if they think it's a regulator issue, motor issue etc. and I can order the parts now so when my schedule allows I can tackle it.

Thank you for any input. You don't realize how much of an inconvenience it is to have a window that wont go up until it happens. Also being in AZ the nice warm air blowing in isn't exactly the best.
If the door switch and master switch don’t work probably not a switch problem. But with out troubleshooting first just don’t know

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've tried to find this exact problem but wasn't able to. Most of the posts I've seen is about the auto up/down. I have a 2015 and my rear passenger window wont roll up. I tried jostling the connections and that didn't do anything. I tried to manually pull the window up and it only moves a inch or so. Has anyone had this issue before? Due to my work schedule I wont be able to mess with it for a couple days. So ideally someone can tell me if they think it's a regulator issue, motor issue etc. and I can order the parts now so when my schedule allows I can tackle it.

Thank you for any input. You don't realize how much of an inconvenience it is to have a window that wont go up until it happens. Also being in AZ the nice warm air blowing in isn't exactly the best.
Before you do anything else,take it to a dealer and have them re-flash it. I bought a 2014 Dart for my wife when it was new. We got the car on a Saturday, and on the following Monday, I drove it to work to go by my insurance company for them to check it out. I had left a small crack in the windows while at work since I had to park where it was sitting in the sun all day. That afternoon when I started home, I started to roll the windows up and run the A/C. The front passenger side glass wouldn't roll up, using either switch. Took it to the dealer thinking it had a bad switch or motor. 15 minutes later we left the dealership with the window working fine. They had to re-flash the computer, problem solved. Hope this helps.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Do you people not read well, the OP has already solved the problem, it was as simple as finding that there was no power to the up side of the drivers switch. Found that using a $7 Multi meter. Easy fix. No expensive trip to the dealer needed.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
it sounds like the master switch on the drivers door, i have seen this situation happen a few times while working in the automotive industry, the circuit board in the master switch has shorted out in that circuit

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it sounds like the master switch on the drivers door, i have seen this situation happen a few times while working in the automotive industry, the circuit board in the master switch has shorted out in that circuit

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got it! Multimeter showed no power to the passenger door switch when putting it up but showed 12 volts as it should when putting it down. Was able to get power back to it and now my window is functioning back to normal. Glad all it took was buying a $7 multimeter from Harbor freight to figure it out.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in to provide some help. Appreciate you all. Hopefully this can help someone in the future. :favorites13:

The problem has been solved.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before you do anything else,take it to a dealer and have them re-flash it. I bought a 2014 Dart for my wife when it was new. We got the car on a Saturday, and on the following Monday, I drove it to work to go by my insurance company for them to check it out. I had left a small crack in the windows while at work since I had to park where it was sitting in the sun all day. That afternoon when I started home, I started to roll the windows up and run the A/C. The front passenger side glass wouldn't roll up, using either switch. Took it to the dealer thinking it had a bad switch or motor. 15 minutes later we left the dealership with the window working fine. They had to re-flash the computer, problem solved. Hope this helps.
Unless something got seriously corrupted at the PCM or BCM, there should be no need to reflash anything.

To set the window up limit, press AND hold the window switch to run the glass up and continue to hold the switch actuated for seven seconds after the glass has reached the upper limit.

Repeat the same process for the down limit.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 91311 miles.

aeromax4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a thought, are the rear windows locked out? I have a switch on my panel that locks out the rear windows. Did you try to hold the rear window switch down for 3 seconds and raise the window switch up without releasing the switch?