Windows don’t roll up or down?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phantom411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hello I got a 1984 Dodge Ram 350 royal se pickup and I’ve got two other forums on this truck and I decided to start a third.
There are two problems one that needs to be sooner then later and the other I would like it done.

The first problem is that the windows don’t roll down, the catch is, is that the radio, headlights, blinkers, cargo light, and all the other electrical items work (I haven’t tried the ac yet) I checked all the fuses and they’re good and I’m wondering where and what to check next.

The second thing is I would like is to change my speakers out for new ones or old ones that aren’t infested with mice.
Thanks Phantom

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Start by checking power at the switch - assuming you are dealing with electric windows Vs. manual roll. You can pop out the switch fairly easily and check. Next when you pop the door panel you can check if you are sending 12v to the motor.

Likely due to age the window motor is shot and you need replacements. The brushes wear out like any electric motor and it is a zillion years old.

I had an 84 Buick Regal with the same issues as my high school driver. Window got stuck down and as a temporary fix until I could afford to pay for a new motor and install, you hit it with a hammer to help the brushes make contact.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Open the doors & look at the wiring
The insulation can harden & crack, exposing the wire core & cause shorts & opens