Windshield replacement OEM or Aftermarket??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moparchas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
on my 2017 I went with OEM it’s a much better windshield than aftermarket besides MODOT in Missouri was paying for it thanks to the John Deer tractor cutting the grass on the highway I saw the big rock coming but I was at the traffic light so I couldn’t move if I had been a few feet further forward it would have come through the passenger side front glass and me

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my opinion and from my experience, Safelite is the worst. They screwed up my back window install so bad. First they installed a POS after- market that had to come out because the power cable bracket broke out of it, then ordered the wrong one. Finally ordered the OEM rear power slider and I watched them do the install for a 3rd time. Literally one month my truck had no rear window because of the shop near me. NEVER will I use or recommend them
to anyone. It's the lemon tree of glass installers. They are pushed by insurance because they do the job for LESS and in the end you get LESS. Your choice, but I go with the local small shop who takes pride and responsibility the install.

Marusho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I have GEICO insurance. When my 4Runner needed a windshield, Safelite quoted me about $350. I explained that this was an insurance job, since all glass is covered (duh!). They then quoted me $238. Because this was under the $250 deductible I got the insurance price and my insurance company paid nothing, so no demerits on my record (though I doubt they riase rates for glass accidents.)

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Havent driven with it yet but it looks solid, they didnt charge any bs fees or extra this and that

Glass itself has a tint brow that OEM didnt have, looks much nicer than factory in my opinion

Might i suggest NEVER using safelite, they were quoting me $25 just for “glass disposal” and almost $500 for the glass install and it was $50 extra just for them to come to me.

Moral is, always shop around
View attachment 497738
It sounds like you had your mind made up before you asked the question.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 74263 miles

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Another reason to go OEM is if you are trading in they will devalue for aftermarket anything. As in glass, body panels, etc.
I had a 2005 Dakota years ago and had a dealer come from upstate NY (I was in south Jersey) to buy it outright from me. The guy they sent gave me a lesson on what dealer appraisers look for and deduct for when doing trade in appraisals. Paid me exactly what I asking in my for it in my AutoTrader ad. Told me they had a customer who specifically was looking for a truck exactly like what I had.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Ram Logo? I guess mine is too old (2007) mine never had a logo. Where is the logo? Just curious to see it. Never noticed them before.
I had OEM Mexican glass on my '07 2500 Cummins. It had distortion from day 1. I had aftermarket DOT glass put in. No more distortion.

REDNECK28871

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 CLASSIC 5.7
Engine
Comprehensive insurance normaly should cover glass replacement with no deductable.

christoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram Logo? I guess mine is too old (2007) mine never had a logo. Where is the logo? Just curious to see it. Never noticed them before.
I have a 2008 and the logo from the factory is at the top, right in the middle, behind the rear view mirror.

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have no glass deductible. My Insurance pays for OEM. Just had my second windshield replaced within 10-months (both rock strikes). I have had both OEM and aftermarket. The aftermarket seems to pit quicker and more heavily than OEM. Confirmed by adjuster and body shop.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
My wife's 2020 Laramie has had 3 windshields replaced in the last 18 months due to rock strikes (don't ask me how). All of those were replaced with OEM (RAM Logo) glass with insurance $100 deductible. Biggest reason for going the OEM route is the rain sensing wipers, auto high beam, and the rest of her high-end options, including the "Sound -Proofing" capability of the glass that is a part of the overall design of the truck. And I don't trust the Chinese versions. I have a 2017 Laramie and if I ever need to replace the windshield (haven't needed to yet...:rolleyes:), it would be OEM also...just don't trust the quality of the aftermarket stuff anymore.
I had my Laramie Windshield replaced with the non OEM and now my auto windshield wipers do not work. In the future OEM only for me.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had my windshield replaced just over a week ago (OEM glass) and this morning at 0425 I get another crack from where they are ripping up the highway to repave! I hate Va. These fools here can’t even clean up the mess they make before re-paving the highway. So there goes another $250 deductible!

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have big cracks in my windshield from some rock chips, no shot i’ll pass inspection. Safelite quoted me 900 for oem glass to be put in and 450 for aftermarket. Leaning aftermarket as I doubt the OEM is double the quality of the aftermarket, but if anyone could weigh in on the quality of these aftermarket pieces I would appreciate
I can't speak for RAM. The difference in quality on fords is(was) night and day. Many has been the time that aftermarket glass of Fords created a "lens ripple" effect from low standard production. We also saw water leaks infiltrating GEM (body control) modules all the time, with aftermarket glass.

My advice is don't jump over a dollar to save a dime.

OP
OP
Jtblackram

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't speak for RAM. The difference in quality on fords is(was) night and day. Many has been the time that aftermarket glass of Fords created a "lens ripple" effect from low standard production. We also saw water leaks infiltrating GEM (body control) modules all the time, with aftermarket glass.

My advice is don't jump over a dollar to save a dime.
I agree usually would buy oem, in this case i would say the aftermarket is a better product than the oem

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
After market glass from China is softer & will quickly get those pits that you see at night when a vehicle is coming toward you.

I have not looked at my insurance policy, so i don't know whether Glass is covered.
I have $2,500 deductible on my $750,000 Auto Insurance Policy
I wanted a Million dollar policy, so could work in all of the Lower 48 States, but i will just stay out of New Mexico for work

vitola1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Havent driven with it yet but it looks solid, they didnt charge any bs fees or extra this and that

Glass itself has a tint brow that OEM didnt have, looks much nicer than factory in my opinion

Might i suggest NEVER using safelite, they were quoting me $25 just for “glass disposal” and almost $500 for the glass install and it was $50 extra just for them to come to me.

Moral is, always shop around
View attachment 497738
thats a good looking windshield! Do you happen to know the make?

vitola1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
I think shopping around including with reputable after market glass manufacturers makes sense. I had a full size range rover, the windshield was tripple pane with shade band, heated windshield, heated wiper park, high beam, rain sensor. etc. Cost me $600 cad from land rover, every aftermaket was $1,200 plus. o_O. The windshield was made by Pilkerton and was a work of art:)