Windshield Tint Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockyrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Had ceramic 70% tint applied all the way around less the windshield a few weeks ago. 70% is pretty mild but I was more looking for heat/UV reduction than darkness.

I am now debating what to do with the windshield. I would love to do 70% and call it a day. I'm a somewhat risk adverse person though and the stories of electronic issues and tickets make me hesitant.

My tint guy does it but no receipt and no liability if something goes wrong. I do have the Mopar extended coverage so it's only $100...

Does anybody have any pics of windshields with sunstrips? I'm wondering how it looks with that big old box behind the rear view mirror.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had my windshield clear coated for the UV protection for me (medical reason) and I love having it. It's clear as can be but blocks out 99% UV rays. Any tint to the front may get you into trouble with the police.

Red

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my 14 ram done with 70% on the entire windshield and you couldn’t tell it was tinted. I didn’t go any lower because I just wanted the up protection plus the reduce with incoming headlight glare and it did both of those things. I plan on doing this also to my 2020 I wouldn’t worry about it messing with any of the electronics it’s not dark enough imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 6" strip of 20% done on the top of the windshield, not illegal (TN) and works like a charm at keeping the sun at bay.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
4" "eyebrow" at the top here. I've had it on my last 2 vehicles (Rebel/Durango). Love it.

I wouldn't consider tinting my windshield...but that's me. I know the sun is nasty in other parts of the country.

It can be a safety issue though....be careful.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I plan on doing this also to my 2020 I wouldn’t worry about it messing with any of the electronics it’s not dark enough imo.

Pretty sure the concern about electronics is more about the liquid they use when applying the film, not about it being darker LOL. I've read a few stories about 5th gens being especially susceptible to this, but I would imagine any vehicle could be affected by liquid leaking into the dash.

OP
OP
rockyrock

rockyrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
4" "eyebrow" at the top here. I've had it on my last 2 vehicles (Rebel/Durango). Love it.

I wouldn't consider tinting my windshield...but that's me. I know the sun is nasty in other parts of the country.

It can be a safety issue though....be careful.

Would you be willing to post a pic from the inside?

It gets warm here in SoCal but we travel to Nevada and Arizona as well.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure the concern about electronics is more about the liquid they use when applying the film, not about it being darker LOL. I've read a few stories about 5th gens being especially susceptible to this, but I would imagine any vehicle could be affected by liquid leaking into the dash.

Any half decent tint guy will put something down to catch most of not all of the liquid it’s no difference then you spraying a cleaning product onto your dash to clean it. They’re not just going to soak your dash.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my windshield clear coated for the UV protection for me (medical reason) and I love having it. It's clear as can be but blocks out 99% UV rays. Any tint to the front may get you into trouble with the police.

Red
More info on this?

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just go to any tint place. They should have a clear film that blocks the UV rays. My place did it for less than $150. Glad I have it.

Red

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Any half decent tint guy will put something down to catch most of not all of the liquid it’s no difference then you spraying a cleaning product onto your dash to clean it. They’re not just going to soak your dash.

That would make sense, but you're assuming too much. There are a lot of tint shops out there, and they don't exactly hire college grads to apply tint. There were several stories from people who reported assumed electronic issues when the 5th gens first came out. Haven't read anything about it for a while now though. I've never considered tinting my windshield so I don't really care one way or the other. I was just providing some info from what I've read in the past.

bohrman44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
I have the ceramic tint at 50% on my windshield Its perfect IMO.....I had 35% back in the day and it was kinda hard to see out of it at night.....but 50.....that's the sweet spot

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always do 50% and have been running on all of my vehicles for 20 years. I've ran 35% as well but sucks at night., I drive all over the country and never got a windshield tint ticket. I can get a medically approved tint from my Dr but doesn't apply to any windshields. Technically if you get in an accident and they find out , you could be at fault fwiw.

nmckean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a YouTube video on this.. MEDIA=youtube]_q6k3KD4U1I[/MEDIA] basically the issue of the soapy water running down the wiring into the bcm. If you were to have a place do the windshield I would have them review this.

Last edited: