Winter/All-Terain Tire Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I live in a very rural area with similar roads…. More gravel roads in this county than paved with several feet of snow/icy driving in the winter. Plus I’m pulling a horse trailer several hundred miles/year on unpaved roads in the summer. I run Firestone Transforce ATs in the summer and siped Cooper Discoverer AT3’s in the winter. I have two sets of rims with both types of tires mounted so it’s really easy to swap between seasons. Having dedicated snow tires ensures several seasons with one set since they aren’t getting any excess summer wear on them.

Last edited:

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in Canada and have used Cooper All Weather tires on my truck which carry the 3 peak mountain/snowflake symbol ... They have a couple models but the ones I had were a good all year round tire and great in the snow ... Are you sure the tire size you posted is correct ?? 175 seems off for a 20 inch tire ..

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buddies shop sells a lot of the Cooper AT3's and several folks I know run them and are pleased with how they do for VA snow plus the other 360 days a year its not snowing..... FYI studded tires are only permitted in VA from Oct to like March according to VA code...
5 days of snow is pretty generous lol. Howdy from across the James.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
After a week with my new Toyo Open Country AT3's I have done a little snow driving. Not too deep but still far better than my Firestones were.

Stopped at Tractor Supply today. When I came out there was a 5th gen 2500 dark blue (same as mine) parked beside me. Also a 6.4 and he had Toyo Open Countries but he had the X-Treme (or something like that). They were a little aggressive looking but not as aggressive as the AT3's. Just thought it was funny 2 identical trucks side by side and both with Open Countries

forbidden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 4 different trucks outside of my office right now that I regularly drive in snow and ice (I'm in northwestern Maine). The one with new Falken AT3W's is awesome. The one with newish Duratracs is garbage. My personal 2500 has Kumho AT52's on it, and it they have been great. Far better than the Duratracs or KO2's that I have had in the past. The other one is my 80 series Land Cruiser which still has mud tires on it. They are great for deep snow and woods runs, but will kill a lesser driver on an icy, snowy road.

For a dedicated snow tire, I've had good luck with Yokohama I/T's.

jimrobert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX on my 2016 RAM 2500. I use this for plowing a few driveways. They work out great for me.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I tried a set of the Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX on my "15" Ram and for me it was about the worst snow tire I'd run.
I got rid of them the next spring. Glad they work for you, didn't for me.
They were the last set of Coopers that I bought, I actually emailed Cooper with my concerns and neer een got an acknowledgement.

regulator54

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT Plus, Crew Cab 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've used BFG KOs for many years and they work fine when new in the snow. Half worn, they get real slippery on wet roads. Switched to Cooper AT3 4S on last two trucks and they work better.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had Cooper Discover AT3 4S on my truck as well as a previous truck. I find them to provide great winter traction and all year round performance. The 4S model is a true 4 seaon tire vs the standard AT3. Make sure you get the 4S as it has more sipping and a colder temp rubber compound.
They are night and day difference from the factory wrangler tire in the snow.

However, if you are truely in a widlerness type area with limited road services during winter you may still find the need for studs. I would talk to people in the area to see what will do and what is really needed.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I did a search on Tire Rack. Settled on Yohokama Geolancer ATs. Second only to the Firestone Destination AT (very close 2nd) was $30/tire cheaper. Love them so far at 40k miles, lots of snowy winter driving in northern Illinois.

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I live in Northern IL and have to drive long distances to make deliveries. I have all season tires on my van for summer and Cooper Evolution Winter™ tires for winter. Equivalent for trucks is https://coopertire.com/en-us/find-tires/all-tires/discoverer-snow-claw for the winter. Get yourself 17" wheels and put the winter tires on. Swap them out in spring and winter. Bought the discoverer-snow-claw for my 2010 ram 1500. Going to leave on truck all year round. I don't use my truck that much anymore.