Winter project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Barros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 liter
Good morning everyone. Don't get on here much but from time to time I browse the threads. Looking to start a winter project on my 04 1500 ST 3.7 and 356k on it. Found a wrecked 2011 1500 with 4.7 with 112k was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, suggestions and/or warnings. My 04 is a 5speed manual and the 2011 is an automatic. Paying $1000 for the whole truck and the motor still runs. I'm planning to keep the manual Nv3500 transmission if possible.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am sorry if I rain on your parade here, but if you look up any of the engine swaps, you'll see it is an absolute PIA, it is not plug-and-play. The biggest thing is you're suggesting dropping a CAN bus engine into a non-CAN bus truck, that basically involves a complete wire harness and PCM replacement just to get it running. Then there are the different reluctors between the 2 engines IF you opt-out of the wire harness transplant. Honestly? I'd pass on the 2011 transplant unless that is what you are looking to do. It isn't like the old-school engines with minimal sensors from pre-1980s when it comes to modern engines. Many times, you can't even swap engines between two succeeding years because of engineering changes and improvements.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you really wanna proceed with a swap like this, find an 02-05 4.7 truck and get that engine and parts off it (same engine family as your 3.7). It'll be somewhat straightforward. After that then you can think about adding parts to make it more powerful. The newer 4.7 is the redesigned version that requires the more advanced CAN bus not to mention is fly-by-wire.

OP
OP
D

David Barros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 liter
Thanks for the feedback LoneWolf and HemiLonestar. After obtaining the VIN, saw that the 2011 was a P Code and not an N which would be alot easier to swap over. The search continues. At one point, just thought about just replacing the heads and keeping the original motor in it but if I'm going to spend that much money on heads, might as well get something with less milage or even a rebuilt. Current milage is 356k. And so an proud of it. Starts up every morning.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 2008+ heads and cams can be swapped to the older block, you just have to contend with dual plugs and coils.