Wiper Blade Motor issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajc6390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, I am new to this site and was looking for some help. I have a 98 ram 1500, 5.9, two door extended cab. My wiper blades recently quit working. My first step was to replace the fuse as it had blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again when trying to turn the wipers on. I knew I had a short somewhere. I replaced the wiper motor and the turn signal switch. I still would blow fuses after I replaced these parts. Though I could not find any reason in any wiring for short. I took the truck to my mechanic ( who I have been going to for years and trust). He said the wiper motor I had replaced the original with was shorting out. I removed the ( new) wiper motor and replaced it with a better model. When I hooked the new wiper motor up I no longer blew a fuse but the wipers were still not working. I checked the harness connection and it is getting power. I checked the relays and other wiring for any issues, such as loose, torn, frayed etc... nothing. I also disconnected the battery for a fresh reset. I am at a loss at this point. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Check the ground at the wiper motor. It may be a small wire separate from the main connection. The signal is controlled through the ground so if it has a poor connection, it won't work properly. I had an issue where my wipers would work but very slowly and would even stall when the windshield was dry. I ran a temporary ground straight from the battery and problem solved.