Wired trailer camera and trailer TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ordered the trailer TPMS sensors and wired rearview camera options on my new Ram. I installed them over the last few days. Trailer is an 8.5'x20' (before the Vee) Haulmark. Running the camera wire was an all day project as I pulled down the covers for the wire runs along the edge of the insulated ceiling. Putzy work, but I'm glad I did it that way. Very clean install, and a nice features to have. When the trailer is hooked up and that cable is plugged into the factory installed plugin on the rear bumper, the digital rearview mirror in the truck automatically switches to it. Only tested it in the driveway so far, but I think it will be awesome on the road. Having trailer tire pressure monitoring is a nice peace of mind thing too.

I didn't have a lot of cable left over, maybe 6' or so. I think it's 40 feet long, but you'd have a hard time using it for anything approaching 30' or more. Maybe Ram sells extensions?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
look at these kits

I did not find it, but there is a Mopar kit with 4 to 6 cameras, it comes with a fancy control box

I would think that it is just video cable
you could walk to the automotive area in the BEST BUY & the salesman could tell you what the type & size the cable is

it might be something like shielded RCA Video Cable

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think those are the older kits that you linked to, they have different connectors. I'm sure that it would be possible to extend the cable, I was just trying to point out to folks with longer rigs that it may be an issue.

I had the option for the trailer surround system also. And I have the plugin for that on the rear bumper also, so could add it if I wanted. But I just didn't think I needed cameras at all 4 corners of my trailer. Plus I didn't want to drill that many holes through the trailer. I have the "Blind–Spot with Tag Trailer & Cross–Path Detection" option, so that should cover that for me.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
some people put 3 cameras on the back of the trailer
2 for the corners, the other is centered, to check over head clearance.
The 4th camera is for the trailers Interior
Others leave the trailer home on occasion & drop a camper shell over the bed, 1 camera for the interior, another camera for the top center of the shell, so you can watch the top of the Boat that you are towing
:)

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, I would like one for the interior of the trailer to watch the dirt bikes on long road trips. But I have a double strap tie down system that has never failed me in 10's of thousands of miles of hauling them, so I feel pretty good about it.

But the interior view would have to be chosen on the uConnect screen, I'd guess? You would not think that would be on the rearview mirror.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There is not enough information about the Wired rear view camera set ups

it may need the controller box for anything more than 2 cameras
I will look again for that part of the setup

1666827016936.png
still no image of the controller that allows you to switch between cameras